Angry Pattaya Van Driver

wonder6281

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, when a Thai gets out of their vehicle for a confrontation they will always, ALWAYS have a lethal weapon on them.

It may be hidden in the back of their belt, in their pocket, but it will be there, a hands-length away. Always.

Never forget that.

Agreed. They are cowards.

Fwiw, I think the OP handled this just about right. Kudos to him.

I am so tired of the justification of Thai very BAD behavior as cultural. That is ridiculous. If a farong did exactly the same thing they would be arrested , ticketed or at very least yelled at in mob mentality. to me that indicates they know what is appropriate but do not feel they have to be. The only way that changes is if society and people demand it with there dollars and collectively refuse to spend money in Thailand that Thais understand better then any other culture.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"I had to go to Jomtien Immigration and upon turning right in Theppasit from Sukumvit (I was in the right lane), this Van decided he want to get into my lane whilst we were turning into Theppasit therefor cutting me off."

"I did actually hold my ground and forced him to back off - Well you'd thought I had just killed one of his relatives!"

This is the normal style of driving here........you were confrontational & aggressive in not letting him in (in his eyes)

• Like 1

What I love is when they decide to go on the sidewalks with there motorbikes coming strait at you and you are expected to move fast. Even better you are avoiding all of the 6 feet deep holes on the sidewalk and are forced into the road and the motorbikes driving in the wrong direction almost force you into the six foot holes.

If Thai police do not start enforcing some form of code of conduct that is equitable then it will begin to effect there economy. You have militants burning a bank employee on her way home, shootings, more and more violent confrontations. Thailand must focus on all forms of safety not just for tourists but for all of its people. If you tie all of the posts together like the baht bus rage, shooting, holes left open for years, electric wires hanging everywhere, taking your life in your hands crossing the road, tourists being robbed etc as a whole Thailand is going very much in the wrong direction which will effect its economy significantly.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Driving on the pavement is legal and you should make way for them.....was in my driving test years agosmile.png

BTW, when a Thai gets out of their vehicle for a confrontation they will always, ALWAYS have a lethal weapon on them.

It may be hidden in the back of their belt, in their pocket, but it will be there, a hands-length away. Always.

Never forget that.

Agreed. They are cowards.

Fwiw, I think the OP handled this just about right. Kudos to him.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I too have had a gun pulled on me for daring to beep my horn at a car that blatantly moved across on me while riding my motorbike causing me to take evasive action.

It's hard sometimes but really the only way to deal with this stuff here is indeed shake your head, because a confrontation of any kind is just not worth it.

We car drivers discount your very existence...just so you know.

• Like 1

Lesson 3

Grow a pair of balls and how to defend yourself or do not try to stand your ground

I know how to defend myself

Then why did you open or leave the window open?

Sitting strapped in a car with the window open, stuck in traffic is the worst possible position.

• Like 1

Lesson 3

Grow a pair of balls and how to defend yourself or do not try to stand your ground

I know how to defend myself

Then why did you open or leave the window open?

Sitting strapped in a car with the window open, stuck in traffic is the worst possible position.

In hindsight your right but at the time never worried about it.

Lesson 4.

OP did OK, trying to diffuse the situation as best he could. At the end of the day many Thais are unhappy with their lives and we foreigners are an easy target. Not many good choices: stay and be victimized or leave for a better location.

Is it really that bad back home?

Have had plenty of altercations with van drivers and taxi drivers, some my fault and some theirs.

Not even once was set upon, nor did they dare to touch me, but then again, i did have my balls with me and stood my ground

The law of averages says that you'll have them chopped off and handed to you eventually.

Never bring a pair of balls to a gun fight (or a knife fight- or a 12 on 1 beating). Maybe you'll dodge the bullet or the blade next time. Maybe not.

If I were to give any newcomer (especially guys with big balls) advice to live by here in Thailand: You can never win a fight. If you are winning, a dozen others will pile in on you. Fighting is a team activity in Thailand and you did not bring a big enough team.

That may not be 100% true, but you'll spend less time in hospital if you act as if it is.

You can go down as a man or run away like a little girl, in the end it is your choice.

you can go down as a man but possibly end up severely injured or even worse or run away like a little girl but still stay in one piece.

No one in Thailand would regard you a martyrgiggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Par for the course. Wish I had a baht for every time I've been cut off.

Get used to it and don't think twice--I don't. "Greater need" (ha!) usually takes priority. Thais normally accept the principle (note the cutting in line)--so should you.

• Like 1

y dare to touch me, but then again, i did have my balls with me and stood my ground

The law of averages says that you'll have them chopped off and handed to you eventually.

Never bring a pair of balls to a gun fight (or a knife fight- or a 12 on 1 beating). Maybe you'll dodge the bullet or the blade next time. Maybe not.

If I were to give any newcomer (especially guys with big balls) advice to live by here in Thailand: You can never win a fight. If you are winning, a dozen others will pile in on you. Fighting is a team activity in Thailand and you did not bring a big enough team.

That may not be 100% true, but you'll spend less time in hospital if you act as if it is.

You can go down as a man or run away like a little girl, in the end it is your choice.

you can go down as a man but possibly end up severely injured or even worse or run away like a little girl but still stay in one piece.

Yep in one piece with no dignity

Again, your choice how you live and go through lifethumbsup.gif

Is dignity so important that you would possibly risk your life in a country like Thailand where there are so many examples of them not fighting one-on-one ?

y dare to touch me, but then again, i did have my balls with me and stood my ground

Is dignity so important that you would possibly risk your life in a country like Thailand where there are so many examples of them not fighting one-on-one ?

It is irrelevant what country you in, either one is a coward or not. Location and scenarios make no difference at all.

I have been attacked by 15 or so guys back home and was beaten badly, HOWEVER i did take down 3 of them with me and this i can live with proudly.

It is irrelevant what country you in, either one is a coward or not. Location and scenarios make no difference at all.

I have been attacked by 15 or so guys back home and was beaten badly, HOWEVER i did take down 3 of them with me and this i can live with proudly.

Wow "he" man, you would have been great in the arena...too bad you weren't born 2000 years ago. Your sense of morality has evolved little from then as well. Fleeing from danger is not cowardice...it is respect for life.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

• Like 1

Dignity is meaningless if you end up in hospital.

And anyway there isnt much dignity in refusing to pay a $70,000 credit card debt to Citibank as you described elsewhere ?giggle.gif

I'm not sure there is a "right" lane at the junction. Three lanes plus turning right on Suk converge into one lane, sometimes two. You just filter in. Is the op sure that they did not make any gesture that could be considered inflammatory as they merged into the traffic?

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is a "right" lane at the junction. Three lanes plus turning right on Suk converge into one lane, sometimes two. You just filter in. Is the op sure that they did not make any gesture that could be considered inflammatory as they merged into the traffic?

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

A "long" car horn/honk is considered an extremely aggressive gesture in Thailand -basically the "car-finger." And you know how Thais react to that. Don't know if this was involved or not but just a word of warning.