Missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 triggers Southeast Asia search

webfact

What island landing strips exist around the "hot-spot" Inmarsat are talking about ?

Nothing.

There is only water.

The original source article (in the Mirror) states that investigators found that he had plotted a route on his flight simulator to "a remote south Indian Ocean island". The article doesn't identify the island.

I did a quick search in FSX and found two small island airports:

YPCC Cocos (Keeling) Island Int'l S12deg 11.32min E96deg 49.83min; 8033ft rwy; less than 1000mi off the Australian NW coast

FIMR Plaine Corail S19deg 45.46min E63deg 21.68min; 4000ft rwy

No idea how these figure WRT the Inmarsat "hot-spot". My guess is that YPCC is to the east of it, and FIMR to the west.

These are the only ones in the FSX stock database, which certainly can't be considered complete. There may be others out there. It's possible for FSX owners to search for & download additional aerodromes from the internet and install them in FSX, or even to create them yourself (with a little effort). Enthusiasts "build" these virtual airports (based on real-world airports or completely imaginary) as a hobby and make them freely available; commercial fltsim add-on vendors develop & sell them as well.

Whatever the case, I have absolutely no doubt that among the various govts involved there's an awareness of any & all such south IO island runways from Australia all the way west to the African coast, and that they've been repeatedly and regularly scoured by satellite surveillance at least. It would be interesting to know some more details from the investigation of the pilot's flight simulator though.

The only one that wouldn't have been scoured by satellite would be Diego Garcia, it's there, I'm sure of it.

Sent from my XT1033 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to say this again. I don't believe there's any chance it's at Diego Garcia. This is a US facility under US military law.

The criminal penalties for highjacking a civilian aircraft or kidnapping anyone anywhere are severe - usually life in prison with no possibility of parole. If one of the people dies, it's the death penalty. These penalties apply to citizens and military personnel alike.

The base is buzzing with activity. If anyone at all on that island assisted, even opening a hanger door for that plane, he is an accomplice to a severe crime. People would have had to see it. Someone would have squealed to CYA. The gossip mill on that island would have everyone knowing about it.

There's the old saying. "two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead."

I can't see how it could be there with the threat of penalties up to the death penalty hanging over everyone's head.

Next, what would they do with the people on board? Kill them? Still holding them hostages? Death penalty?

260 counts of kidnapping leading to 260 consecutive life terms in prison for even the lowest ranking person on the base? Maybe the death penalty instead?

I can't get my head around that.

Edited by NeverSure

There is no chance that this plane is sitting in DG. For a start they need all the space at the airfield as it gears up to be part of the mission re Iraq.

DG gets plenty of satellite time from interested parties, including the Chinese.

The other islands with airstrips, Keeling or Christmas Island off Java, and Plaine Corail to the east of Mauritius, seem to be in the wrong place if the "corridors" are correct.

To be honest, if you look at a map there are precious few airstrips in the southern Indian Ocean, only a few islands and vast amounts of deep ocean. If the plane headed south the odds are that it is below the sea....

I think you mean ditching with minimal damage. There is no such thing as a a safe landing in the ocean, in a heavy jet, 1000 miles from land.

Yes.

That is exactly what I meant.

In order to minimise debris dispersal and detection of final resting place, if you need it more explicitly put.

I have to say this again. I don't believe there's any chance it's at Diego Garcia. This is a US facility under US military law.

The criminal penalties for highjacking a civilian aircraft or kidnapping anyone anywhere are severe - usually life in prison with no possibility of parole. If one of the people dies, it's the death penalty. These penalties apply to citizens and military personnel alike.

The base is buzzing with activity. If anyone at all on that island assisted, even opening a hanger door for that plane, he is an accomplice to a severe crime. People would have had to see it. Someone would have squealed to CYA. The gossip mill on that island would have everyone knowing about it.

There's the old saying. "two can keep a secret, if one of them is dead."

I can't see how it could be there with the threat of penalties up to the death penalty hanging over everyone's head.

Next, what would they do with the people on board? Kill them? Still holding them hostages? Death penalty?

260 counts of kidnapping leading to 260 consecutive life terms in prison for even the lowest ranking person on the base? Maybe the death penalty instead?

I can't get my head around that.

I agree it's not there. (Not likely anyway)

But if it were there, it would be because the US government wanted it there, and the rest of your points are not valid.

Illegal? So is droning an American citizen, and that didn't stop 'em, did it? Satellites? The whole thing happened in the dark, and the plane could be 100' underground in a bunker by dawn. Nosy neighbors? Who would even notice a big plane landing before dawn on a military base? (And a little spray of food coloring by an F16 and it may have been green when it landed) 260 people onboard? They could be living it up incommunicado (or incarcerated, or buried) anywhere in the world if the US government willed it so. Keeping secrets? Are you kidding? We'll be gobsmaked when the British and US WWII archives are opened up in another 20 (or 200) years. Every year, new secrets come out after 70+ years. And those aren't even the juicy ones. And besides, who would believe anyone that came out and said they saw the plane land in DG? They'd have 50 more people saying they saw it land in Moscow, in Iran, in N Korea, etc, within hours of the story hitting the street.

In other words, I'm not claiming that they did do it. Just that they could.

Edited by impulse

Straightforward question.

Is what the Malaysian cops claim they found on the pilot's simulator inconsistent with the suicide/mass murder scenario?

Could have been practicing to land at DG...

Exactly.

That doesn't answer my question however.

Who Gagged the Search for MH370?

It’s not just the airplane. When 239 people disappear without trace, as they did with Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, there is an urgent public interest in knowing why.

After 15 weeks, this interest has not been met. For the families of the passengers this has caused its own kind of unimaginable and prolonged distress for which there is no precedent. For journalists covering what is, without doubt, the greatest aviation mystery in history, it has turned out to be a frustrating exercise in trying to report the unreportable.

This weekend, there were reports from London that the pilot, Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah “was the most likely perpetrator if deliberate human action is to blame.”

http://news.yahoo.com/gagged-search-mh370-150800686--politics.html

I think you mean ditching with minimal damage. There is no such thing as a a safe landing in the ocean, in a heavy jet, 1000 miles from land.

Yes.

In order to minimise debris dispersal and detection of final resting place, if you need it more explicitly put.

Would be one of the most unusual suicides in history. Caring so much about his family he went to extraordinary lengths to see they got an insurance payout, but taking 239 innocent souls and crew mates to Davey Jones.

How could someone so selfish be suicidal?

Yes.

Would be one of the most unusual suicides in history. Caring so much about his family he went to extraordinary lengths to see they got an insurance payout, but taking 239 innocent souls and crew mates to Davey Jones.

Are your assumptions factually based? Pilot motivation is pure guesswork is it not?

Who Gagged the Search for MH370?

It’s not just the airplane. When 239 people disappear without trace, as they did with Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, there is an urgent public interest in knowing why.

After 15 weeks, this interest has not been met. For the families of the passengers this has caused its own kind of unimaginable and prolonged distress for which there is no precedent. For journalists covering what is, without doubt, the greatest aviation mystery in history, it has turned out to be a frustrating exercise in trying to report the unreportable.

This weekend, there were reports from London that the pilot, Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah “was the most likely perpetrator if deliberate human action is to blame.”

http://news.yahoo.com/gagged-search-mh370-150800686--politics.html

A very interesting read.

Whatever the inadequacies of the Malaysian authorities, it took somebody with exceptional skill to achieve this disappearance.

So we can probably discount the Malaysian authorities straight away.

smile.png

After all the posts and theories not jus on here but from around the world I'm afraid that this is going down as one of the greatest mystery ice that will never be solved.

Cast your minds back when all this evolved and the scenes at the airports and the distress of the families which seems so long ago yet like it happened yesterday.

Even when they find the plane finding the answers will be near impossible .

I can't imagine what the loved ones must be going through.

After all the posts and theories not jus on here but from around the world I'm afraid that this is going down as one of the greatest mystery ice that will never be solved.

Cast your minds back when all this evolved and the scenes at the airports and the distress of the families which seems so long ago yet like it happened yesterday.

Even when they find the plane finding the answers will be near impossible .

I can't imagine what the loved ones must be going through.

Which takes me full circle to the possible motive being to cause maximum grief to the bereaved.

Not necessarily suicide therefore...more like

I used to know a lot of cabin crew from Malaysian Airlines. There was a standard joke for ditching announcement among the crew

" Ladies and gentleman we will need to ditch the aircraft, for those of you who can swim, there is an island 2 miles to the right of you. For the rest, we would like to thank you for flying Malaysian Airlines"

I guess that joke is no longer told among cabin crew anymore,

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Yes.

Are your assumptions factually based? Pilot motivation is pure guesswork is it not?

Are my assumptions factually based? Do you need a definition of the term assumption?

Anyhow, why on earth would a pilot take a 7 hour flight to nowhere and set it down nicely in the middle of the Indian Ocean killing himself and everyone else? It would have had to be suicide, unless he was expecting to be picked up. So lets assume suicide.

Now we have to wonder why the effort to hide the wreckage? Well insurance for the family is the only plausible scenario I can see.

So my assumptions re-suicide are not factual of course, but they are not illogical either.

Please offer up another plausible scenario where the pilot needs to hide the wreckage.

So you are suggesting murder/suicide with the motive to cause maximum chaos and pain. Ok, that's plausible, it's just as crazy as the other theories.

Yes.

And possibly ultimate immortality if the plane is never found.

So you are suggesting murder/suicide with the motive to cause maximum chaos and pain. Ok, that's plausible, it's just as crazy as the other theories.

Yes.

And possibly ultimate immortality if the plane is never found.

Additional point:

Majority of passengers were PRC citizens.

Pilot was Muslim.

Just a hunch.