Health and Safety Standards in Thailand

HughJass

there have been many threads outlining bad health and safety practice in Thailand but heres what happened to me today

my condo has a small swimming pool surrounded by wooden decking..today I decided to go for a swim and arrived at the pool where I saw they had taken up part of the decking adjacent to the pool and there was several pieces of mangled rusty metalwork that had been supporting the floor in a pile waiting to be removed....there was nobody working there at present and no signs indicating that swimming was not allowed so in I go and had been swimming for about 5 mins when the condo maintenance man arrived with his teenage boy helper the later started shovelling crap from the hole they had created while the MM chatted on his phone...I continue swimming thinking nothing of it and then the teenage helper starts up a large arc welder which I hadn't noticed being there and is welding pieces of metal in the hole not half a metre from the pool....as u can imagine I was out of that pool as quick as a flash (if you will excuse the pun).........I then went directly to the reception desk to complain and advise that a sign saying no swimming be put up when the arc welder is to be used...in saunters the manager as this is going on and I turn my attention to him informing him of the dangers of using such a piece of electrical equipment near water and how I could have been killed to which he didn't seem that concerned until I pointed out to him that one of his customers dying of electrocution in the hotel swimming pool would be bad for business at which he said he would arrange for a sign to be put up banning swimming while maintenance was taking place

post-155264-0-56524900-1394520885_thumb.

Health and Safety Does this translate into Thai? I used to work in the construction industry back home and I am frequently amazed at some of the things I see going on in building sites here, and that's just passing by not a detailed look around the site. Whatever must the death/injury rate be in the construction industry here.

You can even hold iron while it is being arc-welded, don't have to be scared.

Here in our new moobaan there are open wires everywhere around the parks, i complainted a few times and then they made plastic boxes at the joints, they are broken allready and who cares? I complainted again, had to write it down in english because they can't speak english, nobody of that huge property developer by the way, and told them one day a kid will be killed by that. They can't be bothered at all.

If a kid dies from that i hope it is from a very rich person, we have plenty of them, then we will see what happens. Thailand and electricians is like fire and water.

In the same week that a thai welder died from electrocution....welding on the floor in a puddle of water after it rained.I saw exactly the same happening further up the road.Girlfriend commented to him that he could easily die,He told her that he was wearing flipflops person that died had bare feet!Can't help them no concept of risk at all.

I've been to at least eight funerals for construction workers killed in the line of duty, relatives of coworkers staff or SOs, totally routine here, nobody bothered - I should say no one was "shocked and outraged" by it.

Remember whatever happens is your karma and you'll be back soon anyway. . .

Not as if there's any big tort payouts even if they had insurance and you could prove liability, even a rich man's son's life isn't worth as much as a nice new car.

Edited by wym

Thais are all heros, not die after a electro shock !

The have a training mode installed,

Stealth shield mega trainer on, like In a old computer game!

Okay now I come back to reality!

Often I read pool story's on the net ,

Lights around the pool , a broken cable, a tourist allready die, but the staff don't care touch the water again!

One Time was swimming in surin

The chlorin was so strong, I cannot breeze leave pool quickly

The reception don't know

Pool company not here sorry!

We have all read too many stories about lack of safety or concern in Thailand. Only if it causes a perceived loss of money (and sometimes they cant even see that), will action happen.

Many foreigners in Thailand already know this very well, but the sad fact is that many foreigners need a mind shift when they come to Thailand, at least those that come from countries that have more safety regulations. Most of us are a bit conditioned to assume some level of safety without giving it a second thought in our home countries, but in Thailand, that needs to stop and people need to take more ownership of their safety.

1. We assume if we are walking about, there is some level of warning for any safety, e.g. that holes in the sidewalk would have barriers and signs, that something overhead with danger of falling would have area cordoned off below,

2. We assume most products we use will be safe. We assume that most service people that perform a service know what they are doing. e.g. service people that come install electrical appliances like water heaters will know what they need to do, like grounding, or we assume they would also be concerned or care that they do it right and not endanger human lives, or at the very least, would at least think that an injury or death would be bad for business

3. We assume some level of brains on the road with most drivers, so that we dont always have to drive super defensively, e.g. that people are smart enough to not try to pass into oncoming traffic on a blind curve

4. We assume foods sold in the market will be safe to eat, and not have levels of pesticides that are dangerous.

5. We assume some level of enforcement of regulations by the government to insure some safety regulations are met

6. We assume a bus we ride on is not a ticking time bomb, that the driver will have gotten enough sleep to not doze while driving, or will drive safe and obey speed laws, and the bus does not have tires that are ready to blow, or brakes that have been checked periodically

7. We assume a safety railing near a ledge will be secure and not break or allow someone to fall through. We already know they are not high enough as they should be or that there are not regulations and enforcement to insure such height.

8. We assume airlines will follow strict maintenance and check procedures by qualified and trained personnel and not cut corners, so that the plane is safe.

9. We assume there are laws to prevent being scammed or ripped off, or at least laws and enforcement to take recourse, when we do encounter something illegal or wrong.

I could go on and on. All these and more we tend to assume and not think twice about in our home countries. However, in Thailand, sadly these are not the case, and all these assumptions should go out the window. All these things require some diligence, enforcement, cost money, common sense, so sadly they are not there. So, there needs to be a shift in thinking that one needs to take more ownership over their own safety, and take nothing for granted. It is difficult to do, as it requires a lot more effort, inconvenience, diligence, sometimes money (dont always go with the cheapest) and knowledge. And even doing all you can do, is not enough, and there are some things are just unavoidable to try and control. So, "caveat emptor" really applies to Thailand and not only what you buy, but beware in everyday living, so maybe we need a new phrase, something like "caveat vivo", haha.

Edited by ebcal
  • Like 1

You can even hold iron while it is being arc-welded, don't have to be scared.

Here in our new moobaan there are open wires everywhere around the parks, i complainted a few times and then they made plastic boxes at the joints, they are broken allready and who cares? I complainted again, had to write it down in english because they can't speak english, nobody of that huge property developer by the way, and told them one day a kid will be killed by that. They can't be bothered at all.

If a kid dies from that i hope it is from a very rich person, we have plenty of them, then we will see what happens. Thailand and electricians is like fire and water.

A bit off-toplc, but why would you use English?

You are so wrong farang......

Thai electricity not same same farang electricity ....no ploblem

YYYYYYYYYYYYEAR MAN .....COOL MAN.....NOBODDY IS DEAD .......THATS TRUE ....YOU FARANG GET VERY NERVOUS FOR NOTHING...!.

.YOU SHOULD REMEMBER THAT THAILAND IS AMAZING FAST EVERYDAY

BETTER TAKE A BEER INSTEAD OF A SWIMdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

YYYYYYYYYYYYEAR MAN .....COOL MAN.....NOBODDY IS DEAD .......THATS TRUE ....YOU FARANG GET VERY NERVOUS FOR NOTHING...!.

So sorry, the "Caps" again. But your comment, "YOU FARANG". Are you Indian, Black or Asian & why so angry? These forums are a means of communication, not chisels in stone.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So sorry, the "Caps" again. But your comment, "YOU FARANG". Are you Indian, Black or Asian & why so angry? These forums are a means of communication, not chisels in stone.

Why apologise for another poster using all caps? whistling.gif No need to answer.

Why apologise for another poster using all caps? whistling.gif No need to answer.

Just the same, it was US sarcasm.

Although the technique is not frequently employed by professional writers of prose it is acceptable English language syntax to express emphasis by using words with all capital letters. However little face cartoons...whistling.gif No need to answer.

YOU'VE BEEN DRINKING!!! And don't try to deny it young man. That will only make matters worse. angry.png

Our new pool has a overflow-canal all around it. In that canal is a big plastic box and i see loads of wires going into it. In that box are the connections and it is half underwater.

Now after 3 years the box is cracked at the top. I guess the cleaners step on it every day. I warned the poolmanager (who is there every day playing with his cellphone) about it and he said: oh mai ben rai. Not dangelous krab. Then i asked him if he dared to stick his finger in the crack but no he didn't want to do that.

What can i do? I have a neighbour who let her son swim there every day and she is very assertive. She also warned the poolmanager that if something happens from that he will get big problems but it is still the same (i guess), i don't swim there anymore.

But almost all pools i used in Thailand had broken or missing or hanging out underwaterlights. Same as broken tiles which one day cut me badly in a resort in Pattaya. Mai ben rai.

I believe it was in CM, what in the US we call telephone or power poles, everywhere I saw these old wooden poles with a thousand cables & more wires wrapped around in the most disorderly fashion; many cables snaking out from hidden folds to this & that building. Below, trash and pools of water.