Three Thais arrested in connection to killings of Indonesian officers

webfact

THAI-INDONESIAN RELATIONS
Three Thais arrested in connection to killings of Indonesian officers

THE NATION
SONGKHLA

30230294-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Police yesterday arrested three Thai fishermen allegedly involved in the murders of two Indonesian naval officers earlier this month.

The suspects - identified as Suriwong Cheuhom, 37, Sriprai Suwanprapa, 41, and Sorasit So-in, 36 - were presented at the press conference along with a hammer and a knife allegedly used as the murder weapons.

The three men reportedly expressed remorse and claimed that the captain of the fishing boat, who remains at large, ordered them to kill the naval officers.

They also said that at the time they were not sure that the two victims were really officers, because they used a civilian vessel, not a naval boat.

Police earlier announced that they had obtained arrest warrants for the 12 crewmembers of the Thai fishing boat, relating to charges of violating the Thai Immigration Act. The fishermen left the country without permission, assistant national police chief Pol Lt Gen Chakthip Chaichinda alleged yesterday.

Chakthip said the investigation into the alleged killings has progressed, but the fact-finding probe would need a few more days.

Forensic tests will be necessary to check the Indonesian naval personnel's DNA and evidence found on board the Thai trawler, he added.

Songkhla Police chief Pol Maj Gen Ekkapop Prasittiwattanachai said on Wednesday that police were not yet able to file murder charges because they had not located the two officers' bodies, and were still waiting for DNA samples to compare with those found on the trawler.

8 men believed to be involved

Meanwhile, caretaker Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul quoted Chakthip as reporting that the investigation found that eight of the 12 fishermen were suspected to be involved in the killings.

He said Indonesia would let justice run its course in Thailand. Should Jakarta request extradition, Thai authorities would grant the request later.

Surapong called on Thai operators to abide by the law when fishing in international waters, including ensuring that migrant workers were licensed, and to cooperate with Indonesian officials' inspections.

Surapong explained that Indonesia had not closed its waters to fishing boats as a result of the alleged killings, but would be stricter about enforcing laws.

He said he would meet the Indonesian foreign minister today(March 28) to report on the police investigation's progress and to ask Indonesian authorities to accommodate Thai trawlers in its waters.

While there has been no official announcement of Indonesian waters being closed, Thai fishing operators reportedly have not dared to enter such waters since the alleged killings, fearing for their safety. This has affected the Thai fisheries industry and related activities.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-28

The three men reportedly expressed remorse and claimed that the captain of the fishing boat, who remains at large, ordered them to kill the naval officers.

And everyone knows how dangerous it is to disobey orders in the fishing armed forces.

• Like 2

They didn't know that they were naval officers because their boat wasn't a navy ship as if killing any three people would be excusable if they weren't navy officers and were just regular Indonesians. Also this story is a pitiful display of the poorest Thai attempt at journalism in a while. Filled with unchecked sound bites, random comments, assumptions, and innuendo. This is not news. It is cheap Thai filler, comic book style of a serious crime.

• Like 1

RIP to the two deceased gentlemen, my prayers are with their families.

I hope the captain is arrested and charged too. Unless the fishing crew was under attack and acting in self-defense, their crime is clearly murder and I would see them serve an appropriate sentence for this.

This only tip of a icebergs for how many Myanmar and Cambodia workers die on fishing boat still unmentioned in previous years as lack of evident or nobody care , I hope after this case human rights agency will pay more attention on Thai fishing boats workers.

Edited by Bkungbank
  • Like 1

Seeing how they generally operate, I would not let any of the Thai fishermen anywhere near my country (if I had one). Further, if Indonesia wants justice for their slain officers, they better keep the "ban" in place till the trial is concluded and the murderers are in jail, cause once the ban is lifted, the Thai justice system's interest in the case will be "lifted" too.

In related news, Thai foreign minister Surapong said "The fishermen should allow authorities to inspect their boats, and remember that hurting people would land other fishermen in trouble too". Yes that is the main reason why they should not hurt (kill) people!

Further, the loss is only to the fishermen, not really to Thailand, as I am almost certain they do not pay taxes anyway, despite them claiming to lose millions every day when not fishing.

Edited by monkeycountry

Surapong says Indonesian waters open to Thai fishing boats
By Digital Content

13959727485058.jpg

BANGKOK, March 28 - Indonesia has not banned Thai fishing trawlers from entering its waters after two Indonesian naval personnel were killed, according to a senior Thai official.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovochakchaikul said Indonesian authorities have, instead, imposed stricter measures on Thai trawlers.

Thai fishing boats have not entered Indonesian waters since two Indonesian naval personnel were killed by Thai fishermen on March 9. They were assaulted as they searched the Thai vessel and were later thrown into the sea.

Mr Surapong said a Thai investigation team initially concluded that eight people were involved in the case. Three were arrested and five others remain at large.

The Indonesian government has asked Thailand to prosecute the eight suspects though the Thai authorities are ready to extradite them to the neighbouring country for trial if requested, he said.

Mr Surapong is scheduled to meet with his Indonesian counterpart today to report progress on the case.

He called on Thai fishermen to abide by the laws of neighbouring countries while fishing in their territorial waters. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-28

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Look at the cheeky little guy in the blue shit giving an 'oh, so sorry' wye.

He knows he's done wrong. Let him go at least.

Well you know what their like ...................they're NEVER responsible for their actions. Out of touch with reality Thailand !

If my boss asked me to kill the two officers, why question an order like that? It seems so practical, level headed, fair, and reasonable. Why not? What the hell? What else do I have to do with my afternoon? After, all they are trying to prevent us from infringing on their territory. Why would we put up with that? We are supermen, and we do not submit to limitations. We do as we like. Nobody gets in our way, and if they do, we just simply eliminate them. After all, if we did not kill them, we might lose several thousand baht. How much are their lives really worth?

"police were not yet able to file murder charges because they had not located the two officers' bodies",

If you haven't charged them with anything why parade them in front of the media?

Because they admitted committing the killings?

Look at the cheeky little guy in the blue shit giving an 'oh, so sorry' wye.

He knows he's done wrong. Let him go at least.

My thoughts exactly..... I'm glad the Captain didn't order them to kill their families........ And there were three of them against 1 Captain....

Sorry, HUM NOI, in my opinion...... Thailand you are not the same anymore......... I had better expectations for you, at least for your people....

to those whom died> R.I.P. brothers, wasn't there, didn't witness it, and where is the Captain... DUH????????

wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

kilosierra