Best Full English Breakfast in Bangkok

KarlosInBKK

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You Got more than One Hand .. ?

Make it yourself, It's easy. Go online, and google Fry a F*****g EGG .. !!

Get creative ... Google 'Bacon' or even 'Beans' ... this high tech stuff is amazing.

Or get someone to go online for you.

Helpless tur* that you appear, that may even be do-able.

Are you british ... ?

Sure, why eat anything outside ... make it ALL at home, right? It's not about whether you are capable of making breakfast or a cup of coffee or some curry and rice when you are deciding to go eat somewhere

Most misplaced rant of the day?

Yup. It gets my vote!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Am guessing the Sportmans is on Sukhumvit? I could murder a good Subday roast. Whereabouts can I find it...nearest BTS & walking directions smile.png

They are on Sukhumvit 13 which is between Nana and Asoke BTS, probably nearer Asoke. A five minute walk down the Soi on the right hand side, just past the Trendy Building, home of the new UK Visa Application Centre.

http://www.sportsbarbangkok.com/

Brilliant, thanks. Just reading through their menu makes my mouth water. Definitely going here, need some Brit in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Last time I was there (in December) they also had Happy Hour pints of Kilkenny for 190b on certain days. Good price, IMO.

Get creative ... Google 'Bacon' or even 'Beans' ... this high tech stuff is amazing.

Are you british ... ?

Basically I agree with you, but I do believe you're probably a diver and not a diplomat working in your country's Bangkok embassy.

But "fry" an egg??? What does that mean??? Sounds much too difficult for me. I have a microwave oven. I figured out how to open the eggs (hit them against an empty bowl and the shell cracks open). The contents inside the egg are soft (if it's fresh) and due to the force of gravity these contents will fall into the bowl. Make sure you have the bowl BELOW the egg and not ABOVE it, or the egg will fall onto the ground (again due to gravity). Then (and here's the big trick) beat the egg (or eggs) to mix the clear part and the yellow part together. I don't mean BEAT as in start a fight with the egg and punch it. No, I mean take a knife (or a fork or spoon) and stir the egg vigorously until the clear and yellow parts are mixed together. Then stick the bowl inside the microwave and heat it for 2 minutes. Don't forget to remove the knife (or fork or spoon) from the bowl before switching on the microwave, otherwise you'll need to buy a new microwave every afternoon to cook your breakfast the next morning. After 2 minutes of cooking, open the door of the microwave, remove the bowl (careful, it may be hot) and eat it (the egg inside, not the bowl itself which is usually too hard and/or tasteless). This is the easy way to make an omelette. The eggs fluff up very nicely in just 2 minutes, giving you a great breakfast. Much easier than frying and a lot healthier too because there's no oil involved. If I'm feeling decadent I'll add some cheese too and have a melted cheesy fluffy eggy. In Bangkok, I always "go to play on an egg".

The Dubliner on Soi 33/1 is spot on and they are one of the few mentioned here serving breakfast at traditional (non night owl) breakfast time from 8 am. They also do a great Soda Bread and Potato Bread too. Ignore surly looking owners the breakfast is top!

Refuse to spend my money in places that were founded by nefarious means.

RAZZ

Rumour? Isn't the rumour that half

the pubs were financed this way?[/

quote]

Also how do you tell if a pub is financed by "nefarious means"

It's just a personal decision but I wouldn't darken that particular door either for the same reason

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by wordchild

Anywhere do a good bubble n squeak?

Good Grief .. Whatta we got here ... Martians .. ?

Is a 'Bubble n' Squeak' a BJ by a chicken and a window Squeegee in the butt .. ?

And imagine, Transgender Nel thinks thinks I'M weird ... ?

Jeesh .. Look to your own ..

Bubbles on the brain?

RAZZ

And imagine, Transgender Nel thinks thinks I'M weird ... ?

My mum thinks I'm weird. I quite like the sound of transgender Nel. Who is she / he?

And what sort of freak cooks eggs in a microwave. If some jumped up kitchen assistant nuked my eggs I'd end up having a William Foster moment.

And what sort of freak cooks eggs in a microwave. If some jumped up kitchen assistant nuked my eggs I'd end up having a William Foster moment.

Y'know. Bring me the wrong food (not what I have ordered) and there is a good chance I will not bother to complain and eat it. Bring me eggs cooked in a microwave and I will 100% send it back.

I had this in Bangkok a good few years back with a friend who was hungry.

2 fried eggs on toast please, are the eggs fried?

Yes

Can you fry the eggs mai suk?

Yes

2 pieces of rubbish 7/11 bread and microwaved eggs came out. I wanted to pick up the plate and smash it into the girls face but I didn't. I gave it back and walked out while my friend ate what he had ordered.

Edited by notmyself

Hanrahn's Report:

FWIW, they open at 08:00, but no food until 08:30. (???)

You can then order food IF you can find a member of staff.

Today the breakfast was ok. Plenty of beans (nuked) 2 fried eggs, 1 large piece of white toast, a large sausage (also nuked) that looked great but was utterly devoid of flavour, excellent bacon(!) and a cup of fresh coffee. B180, B230 after midday. Mushrooms, black pud (or white pud) and hash browns are all an additional 25-30 Baht.

So, it was OK, but with a little care it could have been really good. I suspect the sausage would have had some taste had it been fried not nuked.

Hanrahn's Report:

Today the breakfast was ok. Plenty of beans (nuked) 2 fried eggs, 1 large piece of white toast, a large sausage (also nuked) that looked great but was utterly devoid of flavour, excellent bacon(!) and a cup of fresh coffee. B180, B230 after midday. Mushrooms, black pud (or white pud) and hash browns are all an additional 25-30 Baht.

So, it was OK, but with a little care it could have been really good. I suspect the sausage would have had some taste had it been fried not nuked.

Thanks for taking one for the team. Sounds like there are better options available.

Hanrahn's Report:

Thanks for taking one for the team. Sounds like there are better options available.

Yes, could be, but it's a shame because the basics are all there, it just needs a little thought and care and it could be one of the best around. I'd like to know where they get their bacon. It was the best I've had in this country.

With so many votes, both on this forum and from other people that I know who go there, the Black Swan needs to be next. If anyone has the brekky there in the near future, a quick write-up would be appreciated.

Edited by GBK

Are you british ... ?

People enjoy eating breakfast out you supercilious tur*.

In my room is the best, self made. No help to you, but the best food is always what you make yourself...

Every time there is a food thread asking "where do you get the best.............................................?" there is always at least one saying "the best is the one I make at home." But who cares what he makes at home. The point of the thread is that people like to get out and about and try different places, not sit betwen their own four walls as this individual obviously does.

I suspect the sausage would have had some taste had it been fried not nuked.

That would depend if it was the frankfurter type sausage or not. Those things are so devoid of flavour that you may as well eat them nuked so as to avoid the extra fat.

That would depend if it was the frankfurter type sausage or not. Those things are so devoid of flavour that you may as well eat them nuked so as to avoid the extra fat.

No, it was a large (400g they claim) conventional sausage, not unlike a Cumberland, but straight.

The London Pie on Naradhiwas 24 / Sathu Pradit 19 serves fantastic breakfasts for 150-200 baht. Top quality sausages, bacon, black pudding, home-baked bread and as much Yorkshire tea as you can drink. It's a bugger to find though.

What are their opening hours etc?

Sounds interesting.... Is it on Naratiwat or Sathu Pradit? If its that hard to find, give some GPS co-ordinates :)

Jools has always done it for me, tasty, plentiful and filling and they offer unlimited refills of tea or coffee, though I have never kicked the arse out of it, restricting myself to a second cup. Very filling, you do not eat too much for the rest of the day.

But........but the talk on here of black pudding has got me fancying a few places for a change next time I am in BKK.

Edited by rott

Jools has always done it for me, tasty, plentiful and filling and they offer unlimited refills of tea or coffee, though I have never kicked the arse out of it, restricting myself to a second cup. Very filling, you do not eat too much for the rest of the day.

But........but the talk on here of black pudding has got me fancying a few places for a change next time I am in BKK.

We should go to breakfast together so that I can give you my portion of black pudding. bah.gif

No, it was a large (400g they claim) conventional sausage, not unlike a Cumberland, but straight.

Then it should indeed have been fried or grilled.

I always liked the breakfast at My Old Dutch in Soi 23, corner of Soi Cowboy

3 eggs, always liked that and 2 coffees. Nice to have a couple of coffee included in the price. They chuck some ham and cheese on there, think it's a Dutch thing but got the usual stuff and a decent size

Most of the other pub breakfasts are much of a muchness and by that I mean I'll eat them all anyway :P

The London Pie on Naradhiwas 24 / Sathu Pradit 19 serves fantastic breakfasts for 150-200 baht. Top quality sausages, bacon, black pudding, home-baked bread and as much Yorkshire tea as you can drink. It's a bugger to find though.

What are their opening hours etc?

Sounds interesting.... Is it on Naratiwat or Sathu Pradit? If its that hard to find, give some GPS co-ordinates :)

It is on the Soi that at one end is Narathiwas 24 and at the other end is Sathu Pradit 19. It is nearer Sathu Pradit, on the opposite side to Ken's Steakhouse.

Just went to the Black Swan for their full English (250 baht), read good things here and other people had said there would be fried bread and black pudding so was quite looking forward to it.

Contents:

1 "Fried" (microwaved) egg

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

Don't think I've had the displeasure of being served a microwaved egg before, not keen to repeat the experience in a hurry. Sausage was good, grilled I would imagine, although possibly also nuked before serving. Bacon felt a bit miserly, one little curled up piece, looked quite sad, but props for it being British-style at least. Bread quality for toast wasn't great, not 7/11-style sweet stuff, just standard sliced white Tesco's own-brand level sort of thing.

Not the best fry-up I've ever had by a long way, but better than some of the other ones sound.

Edited by MooKwai

Just went to the Black Swan for their full English (250 baht), read good things here and other people had said there would be fried bread and black pudding so was quite looking forward to it.

Contents:

1 "Fried" (microwaved) egg

1 Sausage

1 Rasher of bacon

1/2 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of toast

Glass of orange juice

Cup of coffee

Don't think I've had the displeasure of being served a microwaved egg before, not keen to repeat the experience in a hurry. Sausage was good, grilled I would imagine, although possibly also nuked before serving. Bacon felt a bit miserly, one little curled up piece, looked quite sad, but props for it being British-style at least. Bread quality for toast wasn't great, not 7/11-style sweet stuff, just standard sliced white Tesco's own-brand level sort of thing.

Not the best fry-up I've ever had by a long way, but better than some of the other ones sound.

You were Fleeced... Thanks for the warning...

I agree, that's appalling for B250. I'll scrap my intended visit then.

The drawback with being an early customer in most restaurants is that you will often get yesterday's reheated crap. Chequers is a case in point.

I like the sound of the Old Dutch offering. Anyone know what time they open?