Do you trust a Thai - Seriously!

David48

I freaking request she use a razor and shave the back of my neck, also the inside of my ears as well as the outside. I hate that hair. she also uses it to clean the hairline, around ears and forehead. Whats the big deal?

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can or has anybody had the same same at I think it was called joy barber in the soi off sukumvit rd.bkk.leading down to the honey hotel[this was in the 80's] after she gave you a trim she would lift the lever and down you would go.a towel under your chin the a little oil and out came razor[oh shit] then she would go to the bottom end of the recliner spread your legs and work her body up till she reached your face[ok.jonny] she would say,yes take your time my b.p. is going up.so I had a cold bath aswell.

1,000bht.but a good cut and blow.giggle.gif

Had a haircut and shave at a (mostly Thai only) barber in Chiang Mai couple of months ago. Now I don't have the thickest beard on the planet but it was absolute agony - for him and for me, as he went through two blades and kept disappearing (for a rest I reckon). He wasn't a young man (50's) - you would think he would have had some farang experience by now. Never again. I'll do it myself.

I had the cuthroat razor shave in Chiang Mai, closest shave I ever had. Only problem was I had to get my wife to stop talking to the hairdresser (They are childhood friends) because they were laughing so much. It is very disconcerting seeing a cut throat razor close to your throat in the hands of some one shaking with laughter. Normally I like the Thai happiness and joy but I think shaving someones throat should be a serious matter.

Incidentally, my wife has since opened her own hairdressing (Nth Thailand) shop and it is only 30 Baht for a haircut.

• Like 2

Well Men,

Frankly I do not understand your post. I see a great racial prejudice put a topic like this . Men , if you do not like Thailand or do not trust the people, why not move to italy . I specialize in human resources and can tell you that I found dreadful professionals worldwide , like germany , united states , italy , france , england others and even in my country .
If you don't trust and can not be happy here , go back to your country and let the people of Thailand live in peace with its own culture and lifestyle . Just you accept it or not.
I didn't like your comment to tarnish the overall image of the Thai people because of the bad experience you suffered in a commercial setting .
For example , in Italy I have had several bad experiences . Milan was very poorly attended when I bought a coat for my wife and to my surprise the jacket was having problems and was unable to make the change . An absurd , I had to ask for help to Carabinieri . But this fact has not made me have a misconception with the Italian people . I love italy and certainly come back more often.
The price of the jacket ? well paid for it about € 3,000.00! So, for the price, I believe it should not be troublesome!
  • Like 1

80 baht for a haircut in Hi-So Issan. facepalm.gif

Same prize as Samui.

Up in Northern Chiang Mai it 30 baht.

its only 60 in the middle of bkk ..............

60 Baht?

Although I visit Bangkok regularly I do not get a haircut here. Last time I had a haircut was, maybe 15 years ago or more, in the lower Sukhumvit area and I was asked for 100 Baht and the place was not grand at all.I must have looked a very gullible tourist...

Same prize as Samui.

Up in Northern Chiang Mai it's 30 baht.

You poor souls. In Hatyai a scissors haircut and shampoo; straight razor shave; moustache and beard trim; brows, ears, and nose clip; head, hand and foot massage; manicure and pedicure; plus a vodka nam som in a private aircon room is B180--and that is right downtown in the tourist area.

Same prize as Samui.

Up in Northern Chiang Mai it's 30 baht.

You poor souls. In Hatyai a scissors haircut and shampoo; straight razor shave; moustache and beard trim; brows, ears, and nose clip; head, hand and foot massage; manicure and pedicure; plus a vodka nam som in a private aircon room is B180--and that is right downtown in the tourist area.

Getting a shave with a haircut is very common in Thailand. Walk past any barber shop to see.

I've never had one, because, well... I'm in my early 30s and still don't really have any facial hair.

What age do you imagine it will start growing ??..... blink.png

You either have a beard after puberty or not at all :))

Same prize as Samui.

Up in Northern Chiang Mai it 30 baht.

its only 60 in the middle of bkk ..............

Yeah, where in the middle of Bkk? Best I can find is 100b asoke/suk. area. Outside the middle maybe ....

Close to Ratchatewi BTS station there are at least 20 in the 60-70 range. And that's walking distance from MBK or Siam Center

I have a much simpler approach : Don't trust ANYONE anywhere near my head with a straight razor ! Are you crazy ? One slip - OUCH ! I live by the 'Precautionary Principle' : If it COULD happen, it WILL happen one day. Act accordingly. This is a wonderful philosophy for all ex-pats anyway.

Does anybody here know that razor can transmit dangerous diseases, such as HIV for example, if not sterilized properly. And it seems to me there were no autoclave in that village.

One, who dares to get a shaving in such a place, really has guts...

Does anybody here know that razor can transmit dangerous diseases, such as HIV for example, if not sterilized properly. And it seems to me there were no autoclave in that village.

One, who dares to get a shaving in such a place, really has guts...

If people here can have sex with a lot of bargirls/prostitutes/sexworkers I don't think they should worry about razorblades.

And every place I have been to change the razorblades after using it.

In theory you can also get infected by the scissors they use when cutting your hair ;)

Edited by larsjohnsson

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

Well Men,

Frankly I do not understand your post. I see a great racial prejudice put a topic like this . Men , if you do not like Thailand or do not trust the people, why not move to italy . I specialize in human resources and can tell you that I found dreadful professionals worldwide , like germany , united states , italy , france , england others and even in my country .

If you don't trust and can not be happy here , go back to your country and let the people of Thailand live in peace with its own culture and lifestyle . Just you accept it or not.

I didn't like your comment to tarnish the overall image of the Thai people because of the bad experience you suffered in a commercial setting .

For example , in Italy I have had several bad experiences . Milan was very poorly attended when I bought a coat for my wife and to my surprise the jacket was having problems and was unable to make the change . An absurd , I had to ask for help to Carabinieri . But this fact has not made me have a misconception with the Italian people . I love italy and certainly come back more often.

The price of the jacket ? well paid for it about 3,000.00! So, for the price, I believe it should not be troublesome!

did you seek councelling for the jacket ?

I always have my hair, eyebrows, ear hair ETC trimmed by a old Thai lady who does a wonderful job with a cutthroat razor. ( ok i almost shat myself the first time ). she works from a 2 room shop ( i swear the other room is her home). 60 Baht a time, and there's always another customer waiting as i leave. Brilliant!

• Like 1

Yes, I would have let her proceed. Had it done before with no issues in a number of locations in Thailand and elsewhere.. The only problem I can recall is one barber did not have shaving lather, instead he ended up using ordinary soap which dried out prematurely causing the same level of discomfort as a dry shave.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Very nice post. You have plenty of time.

80 B for haircut in Isaan it's a bit overpaid.

Just come from my barber (BKK, Sukhumvit 77. On Nut Rd), 70 B hair cutting and shaving together. Anyway I give always 100 B and never ask shaving. Not about I'm scared, but their razor is very weak, fit for Thias, and this gives me lot of pain.

That is a pretty big generalization....that the OP uses for the title of this thread.

Trusting "A" Thai......sounds pretty generalized.

Do I trust all barbers?....Nope. I had some God Awful haircuts and nicks...and bad ten times the price as I do here.

I never been cut...as of yet...in a Barber Chair in Thailand. So...

I guess what I am saying is..... I think the OP has a low opinion of Thai's in General...as he lumps them all together and throws out a "loaded" question.

Probably good and bad barbers....but at least its waayy cheaper.

Too many Sweeney Todd viewings.

The chair always swings back when the Thai Barber shaves you.

My barber also shaves my ears, neck and takes out my nose hairs. I give him 20b tip.

If you had a Demon Barber, do u think you might be the first one down the trap?

I smell troll-dung. How boring is it in your village???

• Like 1