Do you need POP to SMS?

SMS

Do you need POP to Mail?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Users,

Ive been thinking of getting a mail to SMS feature, just need to know how usefull is this feature.

We have been working hard on the new version of the sms website(Still weeks away from release).

I have had requests for mail to SMS feature in the past and another request showed up recently in the Internet and Computers forum.

My plan for this mail to SMS is as follows :-

Users who need this feature must have POP mail feature enabled for the email account they want to monitor.

The user sets in their mail server details along with login name and password. The SMS system will monitor the email account for new emails(once every 10 minutes or so), as soon as a new email is detected, the system would send the subject of the email (and portion of the email body if the space is available) as an SMS to the user and deduct the credits from the users account.

The above plan is a very simple plan.

What do you feel about this feature? Do you really need it?

• 1 month later...

I think this is a usefull feature, when you can add some extra functionality.

Unfortunetely many people get a lot of spam in their email. And many also filter the spam after they download it to their computer.

Because people wouldn't like the spam messages in their sms, which will cost money too, I think this service should come with a 'white list' of email adresses. Then users can enter a couple of email adresses/domains of which the messages will be sent by sms to their mobile phones.

Can be very usefull when you are waiting for an important email from a company or someone, just add the address or domain to the whitelist.

Second, people may feel a little uncomfortable by entering their POP account details on a third party website (Thaivisa in this case). You can also consider useing a special forward adress which people can use to send email to their own phones, something like: [username].[somekey]@sms.thaivisa.com.

The 'somekey' is a key users can get trought their sms control panel, to prevent spam to mobile phones by just trying some [email protected].

Last, when I saw a service like this from another company, they had a setting like 'maximum number of forwards per day', also to prevent costs getting high when you get a lot of email suddenly.

Hope you can use some of above ideas!

Edited by mocean