Where To Buy Genuine Windows 7 In Thailand?

davejones23

I want to buy a Dell laptop but don't want Linux, which is usually pre-installed or Windows 8. Everywhere I ask says they will install fake Windows 7 but no-one has a genuine version. Is there anywhere to get one in Thailand. I'm in northeast for a few days but will be in Bangkok for a day or two next week.

Also, I was told that if using fake Windows you have to keep Windows Update switched off, which isn't really good. I also doubt I'd be able to install my Genuine Windows Office either. I contacted Dell head office and Microsoft Thailand and neither were any help. Microsoft says they don't sell WIndows 7 and more so I can't buy it.

Here I am trying to stay legal and offering to hand over my hard-earned cash, but no-one seems to want it. What is wrong with these companies, especially Microsoft? I want to buy their product but they won't sell it to me. It is no wonder so many people use fake software when it's so hard to buy genuine software.

In a hypothetical case (not me), suppose someone has fake Windows installed, how does Microsoft know and what happens? I have read that a message comes up and you have the option to buy a licence. If this is true, how much does the licence cost? And would they sell a Windows 7 licence? Or would they expect you to upgrade to Windows 8?

The only option I can think of at the moment is to buy online and get it posted to Thailand, but that will take too long and I will have mover 2-3 times before it arrives. So not really an option. If I could buy a genuine copy here that would be great.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're all OEM versions. I was hoping for a retail version. Also, there are big differences in price for no apparent reason and not much info. I'll be in Hua Hin later next week though so may check out the shop. Ideally I'd like to get this sorted sooner though.

Any shops in Bangkok selling this?

They're all OEM versions. I was hoping for a retail version. Also, there are big differences in price for no apparent reason and not much info.

There are big differences in price because there are three different versions - Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. Why do you want a retail version? Are you intending to install it on your next PC after the Dell dies? If not there's nothing to be gained by paying more for retail.

You could buy it on the Net if you have a copy in your purchase.........

I am trying to find a download version, but read some many things that it's getting confusing. Most companies are selling OEM versions which I read are only have new build PCs and not for end users like me, so technically they may be invalid. I'm going to check with Microsoft later (they are shut now), but they haven't been much help so far. I'm only found two companies selling download versions - one is very dodgy by the looks of it, and the other has mixed reviews - They have a logo saying "Proudly British", with an address in Canada. Not exactly a good sign.

What do you mean by "if you have a copy in your purchase.........".

Windows 8.1 is by far the most secure and fastest Windows I've found yet. There is no reason not to install it, even if you don't like the new interface.

Classic shell will do the job.

I cannot see the point of downgrading, it is a wasteful and counter-productive exercise.

• Like 2

Windows 8.1 is by far the most secure and fastest Windows I've found yet. There is no reason not to install it, even if you don't like the new interface.

I cannot see the point of downgrading, it is a wasteful and counter-productive exercise.

My gf has Windows 8 and I managed to do something that showed a home screen similar to Windows 7, but the sliders keep sliding across when I don't want them to. Not sure what I do, but may accidentally touch a key and they just slide out. How do I get the classic look? Can I get it with the sliders disabled?

Anyway, if I want Windows 8, I still have the same problem, because no-one here seems to that either. Dell laptops here have Linux, so I wouldn't be downgrading. So I'd still need a genuine Windows 8. People in the shops look at me like I've gone crazy when I say I want genuine software, They don't understand why.

Edited by davejones23

I am trying to find a download version, but read some many things that it's getting confusing. Most companies are selling OEM versions which I read are only have new build PCs and not for end users like me, so technically they may be invalid. I'm going to check with Microsoft later (they are shut now), but they haven't been much help so far. I'm only found two companies selling download versions - one is very dodgy by the looks of it, and the other has mixed reviews - They have a logo saying "Proudly British", with an address in Canada. Not exactly a good sign.

The only requirement for purchasing an OEM version is if it's purchased with some hardware. As you are buying a laptop with no Windows o/s on it you qualify. The other difference is that you won't get any support direct from Microsoft. How many people actually call Msoft when they have a problem?

The only requirement for purchasing an OEM version is if it's purchased with some hardware. As you are buying a laptop with no Windows o/s on it you qualify. The other difference is that you won't get any support direct from Microsoft. How many people actually call Msoft when they have a problem?

I could be wrong but also an OEM has to be installed on a empty hard drive ? It cant be used to upgrade ? At least that is what i thought.

My gf has Windows 8 and I managed to do something that showed a home screen similar to Windows 7, but the sliders keep sliding across when I don't want them to. Not sure what I do, but may accidentally touch a key and they just slide out. How do I get the classic look? Can I get it with the sliders disabled?

Anyway, if I want Windows 8, I still have the same problem, because no-one here seems to that either. Dell laptops here have Linux, so I wouldn't be downgrading. So I'd still need a genuine Windows 8. People in the shops look at me like I've gone crazy when I say I want genuine software, They don't understand why.

InvadeIT has the Genuine Windows 8.1 Retail Version.

http://i.nvade.it/4RR

This is what I bought after my Win 7 License Key problems

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/711051-win7-change-oem-key-to-retail-key-how-to-do-legally/

Ps: And NO I don't work for them, I am just a happy customer wai.gif

If you use Classic Shell you can disable those annoying Windows 8 GUI features.

As for buying hardware with Windows preinstalled, I thought that was the rule rather than the exception. I'm guessing retailers buy the things without the OS so they can save money by slapping a virus infested piece of pirate crap on it.

Go and price up the leading brands in Banana IT or on Invade, I'm sure you'll find you can get a decent deal on a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., with an OEM Windows 8/8.1 thrown in.

As for buying hardware with Windows preinstalled, I thought that was the rule rather than the exception. I'm guessing retailers buy the things without the OS so they can save money by slapping a virus infested piece of pirate crap on it.

Go and price up the leading brands in Banana IT or on Invade, I'm sure you'll find you can get a decent deal on a Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc., with an OEM Windows 8/8.1 thrown in.

I have already tried Banana It and some place in Pantip a few months ago.The Dell laptops in both places have Linux installed. I don't want Linux.

Also, I want a Dell because of the onsite next business day support. Very sorry that I bought this Sony, so need a laptop with proper support this time.

The place in Pantip offered to install fake Windows 8. I said it might invalidate Dell service support and they said it wouldn't. I said I wanted legal software and they asked why. Hopeless.

Edited by davejones23

I installed Classic Shell on my gf's laptop and while it's an improvement, it still has very annoying features. e.g. if I open a folder with photos and click on one of them, it opens the photo in full screen and I can't see the taskbar. Having the taskbar disappear is one of the most annoying things about Windows 8. It's like they build an OS for a mobile phone and put it on laptops and desktops. It's one of the worst designs I've ever seen. I know new things often take a while to get the hang of, but Windows 8 really slows down everything I do. With windows 7 I can look at some photos and then open another program very easily. With Windows 8 I have to get the active screen out of the way first, which is really frustrating. I just don't like it at all. I would much rather stick to Windows 7. It's much better. Much more intuitive. And I can work much, much faster.

Edited by davejones23

For viewing images install irfanview and after install right click on a image and select open with and select or browse to the place where irfanview has been installed (usually C:\Program Files(x86)\irfanview), also make sure that you select "use this as default"

This will make sure that when you open a image file that its not opened full screen but in irfanview.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

What is the exact model of the Sony and the DELL?

I've seen many models of Dell that have Linux. My Sony is a Vaio. Bought around two years ago and been trouble ever since.

Exact model would include specific numbers. There are many differing models of VAIO...aren't there?

Which model of Sony and exactly which model of DELL is under consideration.

You are confused as to how the licencing system works.

Try Advice Distributers. They have Win 8.1 at 3990 baht (Win 8.1 Pro at 4990 baht. They also carry Windows 7. Retail stores in nearly every reasonably sized city in Thailand. The first update is out and has many tweaks and improvements Find out more at www.eightforums.com My recommendation is Windows 8.1

What is the exact model of the Sony and the DELL?

I've seen many models of Dell that have Linux. My Sony is a Vaio. Bought around two years ago and been trouble ever since.

Exact model would include specific numbers. There are many differing models of VAIO...aren't there?

Which model of Sony and exactly which model of DELL is under consideration.

You are confused as to how the licencing system works.

The exact Sony model is irrelevant, as I no longer want to use it. I don't have an exact Dell model in mind because I haven't chosen one yet. I'm discussing Windows 7 here.

For viewing images install irfanview and after install right click on a image and select open with and select or browse to the place where irfanview has been installed (usually C:\Program Files(x86)\irfanview), also make sure that you select "use this as default"

This will make sure that when you open a image file that its not opened full screen but in irfanview.

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

But this is the reason I want Windows 7. Windows 7 works perfectly for the way I work. I don't want to buy Windows 8 and then have to install lots of other software to make it work they way I want. The photos was just one example. There are other things that open full screen - I really hate it.

Try Advice Distributers. They have Win 8.1 at 3990 baht (Win 8.1 Pro at 4990 baht. They also carry Windows 7. Retail stores in nearly every reasonably sized city in Thailand. The first update is out and has many tweaks and improvements Find out more at www.eightforums.com My recommendation is Windows 8.1

But I hate everything about Windows 8 and 8.1. I find it incredible frustrating.

But I hate everything about Windows 8 and 8.1. I find it incredible frustrating.

you can switch windows 8 back to Classic, which makes it much the same as Win 7, but just get an oem version of Win 7 and get on with it, this is Thailand, sorry but you sound like at bit of an old women!

• Like 1

As advised by several win 8.1 set to look like win 7 is the way to go.

But, if you really want win 7 retail then just download a Digital river .iso and burn to DVD. (Yes, genuine windows) install and you will get the standard 30 days use. contact Microsoft to see if you can buy a license. The 30 days can be legally extended or you could load it with Daz !.

As advised by several win 8.1 set to look like win 7 is the way to go.

But, if you really want win 7 retail then just download a Digital river .iso and burn to DVD. (Yes, genuine windows) install and you will get the standard 30 days use. contact Microsoft to see if you can buy a license. The 30 days can be legally extended or you could load it with Daz !.

I would happily get Windows 8.1 if I could get it to work like Windows 7. But I have set Windows 8.1 to classic look, have start button like it used to be,etc, but some things still open whole screen and then I have to swipe screen to get rid of it.I find it really slows down my work and i lose concentration and focus. When you're working in the zone, the last thing you want is these stupid screens breaking your train of thought. When working on a Windows 8.1 laptop I find I'm having to concentrate more on Windows than the work I'm actually doing.

Microsoft are planning to add back the start button in a future release, so that is an admission by them they Windows 8 is hugely unpopular in its current form. It may work for some, but it's not really suitable for the way I work.

But if someone can explain a way to get the taskbar (bottom) to show all the time and have x-to-close at top right of all windows it would be a big help. I just find it so frustrating starting a new program when something opens in full screen, as the taskbar and start button disappear.

an original windows 7 OS. or any original windows software please visit a company if your in chiangmai

go to the original computer plaza on the klong left side just below 4 cross road (see yak) near chiangmai ram hospital

company name is "Good speed " second floor he imports his software from Singapore I have purchased my windows software from him and for my friends for over 10 years good after sales service as well .