Which Hospital Is Best For Diabetes?

moomootaro

Wonder which hospital or doctor is best for diabetes treatment? My recent blood sugar test is almost 200.

Go on the websites of the following hospitals and search for a doctor specializing in diabetes (look under endocrinology or internal medicine) who has trained in and is Board certified in a Western Country:

Samitivej

Bumrungrad

Bangkok Hospital

It's the doctor that should guide your choice of hospital. As diabetes is a chronic condition you need to find a doc who is not only well qualified but whom you feel comfortable with and takes the time to explain things thoroughly.

some good advice, stay away from hospitals and general medicine. They load you full of chemicals which brings you out of balance even more. They thrive on selling this stuff. Think about it. They are not there to make you better. They want you to come back.

Change your diet. Search on internet for alternative options. You can heal yourself quite easy if you believe in it. There is loads of info on how to cure your illness.

I've been in the unhappy position of preparing diabetic patients for amputation....and telling their families we couldn't revive them from their heart attack.... etc etc. So I felt complelled to respond! It is not something to take lightly. Some Type II diabetics can bring their disease under control with diet and exercise alone. Some cannot. And Type I never can. Also people vary greatly in their willingness/ability to make major lifestyle changes.

I think it's dangerous advice to suggest that a diabetic not be under trained medical care (and if that 200 was a fasting BS, this is not mild diabetes!). But I would agree that many docs give insufficient attention to what lifestyle changes can do, and it would be sensible for to specifically ask the doctor whether diet alone can be tried. With a fasting sugar of 200 (if it's consistent and not a one-time result of dietary excess) I think any doc is going to insist on meds at first but would agree to try tapering them off if the patient is able to stick to a better diet. Like anything else, it is important for the patient to take an active role in treatent and to communicate clearly and honestly with their doctor. And in Thailand, since Thai patients tend to equate good treatment with getting a prescription, it's especially necessary to make clear that this is not what one wants. One often has to explicitly tell the doctor "I do not want to take any medications that are not absolutely necessary". And go ahead and ask the reason/purpose of each drug given, especially if multiple drugs are prescribed (in which case it's highly likely that some are unnecessary).

All I can say is that I am diabetic and have been seeing Dr Pimook at BNH. After a couple of years with a doctor at Bumrungrad, I switched to BNH about 3 years ago. I've been very pleased with Dr. Pimook. As far as I'm concerned he is as helpful as any of several doctors I consulted in the U.S. before moving here.

I want to second everything Sheryl said. I don't know what Tracker's problem is, but I advise ignoring any advice he gives in this forum. There have always been quacks who claim to do what doctors cannot, and they have always had no shortage of gullible victims. People faced with cancer, or the permanent life changes of diabetes, are too easily victimized due to their very natural hope that the doctors are wrong and it isn't so bad or there's a cure or at least an easier treatment. See a doctor NOW.

Whether you end up on medication or not, you will need to make changes in your diet. The relative scarcity of low-carb and sugar-free products in Thailand compared to the US makes it harder, but it can be done.

some good advice, stay away from hospitals and general medicine. They load you full of chemicals which brings you out of balance even more. They thrive on selling this stuff. Think about it. They are not there to make you better. They want you to come back.

Change your diet. Search on internet for alternative options. You can heal yourself quite easy if you believe in it. There is loads of info on how to cure your illness.

There's loads of info telling you the earth's flat too. If you want alternative medicines, they're out there. If you want a medical solution talk to someone who has training and experience, not just hippie ideals about magic herbs.

cv

MMT,

I don't have any personal experience with diabettes but you should be under a drs care based on what I have observed from several relatives of mine who have had it. It attacks organs (heart kidney, eye vision, etc) and can create many health problems.

Theptarin Hosp. on Rama 4 advertises that it has a diabetes center. It is a good hosp (used by US embass by staff I am told) but don't know any thing about the diabetes center..