How would you change things here?

roguewo

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

there are uncivilized member of African tribus that may sign your post if someone should taught they to write

everywhere in the world there are things that should be changed ( to change may mean to improve ), if you are not able to see it here perhaps you are blind or you got a rapture

This post isn't about people of color, or people who can't write, or even racism. If you can't make a positive contribution, muster the wisdom to not to make a negative one. wai.gif

I would make myself dictator and try to take as much money as possible out of the country.

If the people get too angry I escape to Dubai and try to put some relative into power and take more money.

I think that's already been done

"How would you change things here?"

Become a mod and delete topics about farangs wanting to change things here. smile.png

As an aside, I have my buds but wanting to band together with a bunch of sweaty sexpats (as most of you are tongue.png) and being lumped into that big fat bracket by the natives (you know, the ones that count here) is not my speed. But knock yourself out.

This isn't about sweaty sexpats, brackets or natives that matter.

This post is about possibilities, as in, what if.....?

If you can't answer the question from a personal prospective, imagine answering the question as, say Einstein, Edison or Hawkings. At the very least, you'll think outside 'the box'. smile.png

I'm hoping to draw upon the collective intelligence of said population.

You are new to TV, aren't you?

There seems to be an implicit assumption that the real answers to big time questions can only be found amongst "said population" of notoriously self-serving and self-indulgent persons with limited understanding of the Thai language or culture or of the desires of the majority who are not a part of "said population." I wonder if you were back in your own country and seeking change if you'd seriously seek guidance from some small enclave of foreigners who openly disdain the indigenous population??

Just read my signature, that just about covers it.

As said above, ideas is one thing, doing something about it is almost impossible as you have no vote, best way, is to lead by example, and hope that some of it rubs off, but dont hold your breath.

There are so many small things people can do to make life a bit better for a few people and the cumulative effect could be considerable.

Saying you have no vote is a bit of a cop out. Certainly Thai people should be the ones who decide how things will be done in Thailand and if we foreigners disagree, we have the option of moving on. On the other hand, assuming change is only accomplished at the ballot box (if that ever really changes much) and only through major policy reform starting from the top, is not realistic. Everyone is able to make small positive contributions within our communities without making policy waves.

Edited by Suradit69

I don't think anything needs to be changed. If you don't like the place warts and all you know where the airport is.

there are uncivilized member of African tribus that may sign your post if someone should taught they to write

everywhere in the world there are things that should be changed ( to change may mean to improve ), if you are not able to see it here perhaps you are blind or you got a rapture

This post isn't about people of color, or people who can't write, or even racism. If you can't make a positive contribution, muster the wisdom to not to make a negative one. wai.gif

Er, I think you'll find he was trying to support you.

Overall things do need to change in Thailand for Thailand. I actually think this thread is very sensible but unfortunately others don't seem to have grasped what you are attempting to draw from them. However, I do believe there are two stages to this; what Thailand could change for themselves for the betterment of their country and changes that could improve things for Thailand's (short and long term) guests - your post does seem heavily weighted towards the latter.

Personally, I believe the changes for "guests" are insignificant compared to changes that Thailand will need to make for itself and it will take decades of focus on the "Thai" changes. With regard to any changes for guests, the only actual answer you've so far received to these questions seems to be just about on the button.

Edited by BwindiBoy
  • Like 1

Corruption has to go.

It is the single most dominant factor in day to day life in Thailand.

From people dying on bikes with no licences, to paying tea money for schools, to paying under the table for this or that and on and on.

Eventually, the system will implode if it isn't rolled back.

corruption will never go, it exists in every country (to varying degrees, generally highly correlated to economic development)... it will decline over time in line with better wages for police / government workers / etc... and the process could of course been helped by non-corrupt political leader/party but not much hope of that in thailand anytime soon

• Like 1

I think when you come to Thailand, to live here, you know what you can expect and you know what the rules are to live here

wen you do not accept this, you do not belong here.

Even wen we as farangs, have more money, a better education and a other way of thinking then the Thai`s we can not give them our way of living

accept that you live in thailand and enjoy every moment of it

or go back

I live in Thailand so - things relative to bars seem very badly managed. The city council, police, and bar owners along with the Tourism agency should get together and develop a win/win situation. I like what New Orleans did. The bar must close for 1 hour each day - pick the hour. Why not? The need is for better police patrols. However, as I said I live here and if tourism increases too much then the cost of living goes up so I am not the one who wants a lot of change. Keep prices low is ok with me.

Positive contribution? Sure. Let's all us expats in Thailand sit around the campfire holding hands and singing Kumbaya my Lord and discuss our common goals and desires for the improvement of our chosen country of residence.

This sounds an excellent idea- will bring some of those yummy Isaan rats on sticks ( actually they are not too bad! )

But probably in the OPs vision for a new sanitised Thai utopia they will be banned.

I think when you come to Thailand, to live here, you know what you can expect and you know what the rules are to live here

wen you do not accept this, you do not belong here.

Even wen we as farangs, have more money, a better education and a other way of thinking then the Thai`s we can not give them our way of living

accept that you live in thailand and enjoy every moment of it

or go back

i settled down in Thailand 12 years ago, but I had not much knowledge about the northeast, also called Isaan.

They don't get this knowledge from their wives, nor from foreigners, who know all about nothing.

I doubt that the majority of foreigners, I'd met had a better education. Being from a more developed country doesn't automatically mean more educated.

• Like 1

An outsider, looking in on Thai society and history, can see that it is no different from any other country worldwide (over hundreds of years) that has had to deal with the kinds of problems there are here, above all the problem of the rich elite screwing all the poor peons from top to bottom of the land.

History shows that progress comes either very gradually (UK, US, most of Europe excludng Germany) over 200/300 years, or suddenly through violent revolution (Russia, China, Vietnam). UK and US could even have a Civil War and come out still ready to move slowly forward.

In today's world no one is prepared to wait hundreds of years. So, it has to be violent revolution or more and more and more of this slow slow slooooow plod to the bottom of the ash heap of history.

Up to them.

Just a recent example of Thai thinking in my own neighborhood

After the hail storm, and the damage and lost of many cheap roofing, the Thai Government in affected provinces distributed FREE sheets of composite roofing. But, the maximum help was 500 pieces for property, with market value of about 25000THB.

For some were not sufficient, and its had to buy to complete the damage. For others was a good deal.

Because verification of damage for the registration to receive the material was not a requirement, most homeowners took the opportunity to get the maximum material allowed, some not needing any, and re-selling it, even to friends and neighbors in need.....

If you can explain and change that.....you may find the way to change other things...

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

You must have skin like leather OP. Have you not yet noticed nobody likes your post. I'd guess not too many like your type as well.

Attempting to draw upon collective intelligence may take some out of their comfort zone, and I understood that before couching the questions.

I have one of the best dermatologist in the world. coffee1.gif

I agree 100%. Expats are here for many years and some new by days due to marriage, work and or investment. All knowing full well what they were getting into I trust with the politics, corruption, economy, red shirt & yellow shirt. Its all out there for the reading and research prior to a faranges move here. The unmitigated Gaul of the OP to presume that anyone would move to another country and then want to change it????? How did you like it when the Lords Prayer was removed from Schools because of new arrivals of different religions didn't like it in your country or to be told the world Christmas was not politically correct anymore.

Actually, I didn't know much about the country before I came, probably due to the current laws.... Now that I'm here for a long time,(happily married to an educated woman from a good family/not living in farang ghetto/speak the language) and I see change in the air, I have started to consider the possibilities, as others have.

I have had more than one PM from people who have something solid to say.

Unmitigated gall, is my middle name. 'Gaul', BTW, is an ancient region of western Europe. smile.png

Positive contribution? Sure. Let's all us expats in Thailand sit around the campfire holding hands and singing Kumbaya my Lord and discuss our common goals and desires for the improvement of our chosen country of residence.

This sounds an excellent idea- will bring some of those yummy Isaan rats on sticks ( actually they are not too bad! )

But probably in the OPs vision for a new sanitised Thai utopia they will be banned.

I wasn't looking for a 'sanitised' version of anything, Peter.

Singing and holding hands is, well, cheesy. Sewer rats and Kumbaya, aren't even a consideration.

Believing in possibilities, priceless!

Hey OP. I bet this didn't turn out like you planned!

Is this the same 'one eyed' 'carl' who abandoned 3 children back in California, says he's in an open relationship one day and married the next, and says the best seat in the world is on soi Cowboy where he can look up the skirts of 'very' young girls.....?

Yeah, your life was a peach, wasn't it?