Unexpected THAI profit losses of Bt30 mln in March

webfact

Unexpected THAI profit losses of Bt30 mln in March
By English News

1398137657719.jpg

BANGKOK, April 22 - Thai Airways International (THAI) in March faced profit losses of another Bt30 million from the original forecast with its passenger load lowered year-on-year by 20.5 per cent.

Chokchai Panyayong, THAI acting president, said the airline's board had concluded that flight operations last month were reduced in accordance with lower passenger demand as a result of the ongoing political protest and the impact from high competition of other airlines.

Around 1.59 million passengers used the airline in March, a 20.5 per cent decrease year-on-year, resulting in the system's passenger cabin factor at 68.7 per cent, lower than the same period last year which was 80.3 per cent.

However, Mr Chokchai said the airline will have positive business profits throughout the year, for he believed once the political situation eases, Thailand's tourism will quickly recover.

Meanwhile, THAI plans to attract more transit passengers with a target of 30 per cent of overall passengers from the current 26-27 per cent. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-22

Did they read my last 2 passenger surveys in J?....

Nothing to do with their product and pricing level for that particular product of course....

Idiots.

Air Asia business class fare to Australia, 35,000, Thai Airways 80,000. Difference, minimal other than brief stop in KL

Actually there is a tremendous difference...can't really compare Budget to legacy carrier.

However Qatar to UK 110,000THB, TG 180,0000THB... TG J class or QR. Let me think for 30 secs

Edited by negreanu

Air Asia business class fare to Australia, 35,000, Thai Airways 80,000. Difference, minimal other than brief stop in KL

With TAT guessing-predicting-trash ideas why oh why do they not get together with their national airline and give vast discounts for the tourist industry and for Thai Airways.

Start with long haul Europe, your getting Asians here, why not get the other half ??? the ones you lost over the years-and truth, not Thai bashing.

For gods sake look at the passengers coming here from Europe-----leaders--Emirates Etihad EVA and a host of others and look at their % PAYING passengers.

Don't they understand getting together with the industry they can boost their capacity.

Agree with your comparisons---same Europe in general.

• Like 1

Unexpected loss with the current political mess in Thailand... What do they expect? Poor planning as usual...

To be fair with Thai, it is a good company but the political crisis comes at the worst time with the new aircrafts (A380 and others).

Anyhow, even though I have a pretty good opinion of Thai Airways, I am 100% confident that there are plenty of "inefficiencies" in the company management and accounting.

Edited by toonsai

I think Jet Star Indo service meals were delivered to Thai by mistake the other weekend, talk about ordinary business class , the meal was not on the menu either way and basic , as I say everyone was surprised,a jet star left just before us, this is only my interpretation.

If these percentages are true, they would seem to conflict with the garbage numbers that TAT regularly spews.

THAI blames the unrest, but if the tourist numbers are holding up overall, then they must be switching from THAI to other airlines, logically.

By the way THA computers were in a real mess today, not just the ridiculous website, but also the check-in computers etc. At one point I was imagining that they were in the process of shutting down for bankruptcy. Alas the shambles goes on. THAI is a flag carrier, and Thailand is proud of its flag. Everything else is secondary. Too big to fail.

No wonder they are losing money. They seem not to be able to differentiate between a profit and a loss - unless the journo is incompetant. You can't have both a profit and loss. And THB 30 million ? Should that 30 Billion? 30 million is a drop in the ocean to an airline. What is it - confused finacial results or poor reporting?

today at BKK I saw 19 planes effectively mothballed. That's near 20% of the Thai fleet. Same numbers the management are saying.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Unexpected? I think not. The airline has been getting blasted on FF boards and premium class pax are going elsewhere. Price and hard product are not up to EVA/ANA/JAL/Hainan/Asiana/Korean and Cathay level and TG knows it.

old planes. Staff definitely not LOS. Bad facilities and ordinary crappy food. It was good five years ago. I fly any other airline unless I must use tg

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

to Ventianne, I prefer Lao Air

to Chiang Mai, Bangkok Air is fine, but if the price is close I am going on a 777 Thai

how can you compare Bangkok air and Thai? I would rather drive than fly Thai domestic. I only use Thai to Australia because of the times. I use anyone else, even Russian transaero to Europe over Thai. Thai sadly has dropped to air Asia standard

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

They need to lose more revenue, that would make me happy.

Their frequent flyer program is not even in the running compared to other airlines such as AA and One World Alliance where the points you earn are valid for at least 18 months. I've lost so many miles with Thai. I stopped flying with them 25 years ago when they were a decent airline but now things have changed quite a bit.

No wonder they are losing money. They seem not to be able to differentiate between a profit and a loss - unless the journo is incompetant. You can't have both a profit and loss. And THB 30 million ? Should that 30 Billion? 30 million is a drop in the ocean to an airline. What is it - confused finacial results or poor reporting?

editors probably stepped in as a face saver,

this is controlled as is everything else related to thailands reporting

the reality is, thailand is in recession, they just havent stopped fudging the numbers yet at the ministry level

to Ventianne, I prefer Lao Air

to Chiang Mai, Bangkok Air is fine, but if the price is close I am going on a 777 Thai

how can you compare Bangkok air and Thai? I would rather drive than fly Thai domestic. I only use Thai to Australia because of the times. I use anyone else, even Russian transaero to Europe over Thai. Thai sadly has dropped to air Asia standard

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

because for a one hour flight, it is fine,

for overseas to and from the US, I use Cathay Pacific, exclusively

• Like 1

Thai airways are an overpriced, substandard airline that deserve to go broke...no surprises whatsoever and expect more of the same for some time to come, until they come to their senses which isnt that likely given its national status as a carrier.

Edited by englishoak

LOL!

TG. Bangkok to London return, lowest price Business Class, 2nd May - 15th May..................150,000 THB

Qatar Airways. Same dates etc as above, Business Class..........................................................91,000 THB

No comparison.

• Like 1