Giant Buddha head attracts Thai Lotto hunters

webfact

Giant Buddha Head Attracts Lotto Hunters

By Khaosod English

13987752781398775350l.jpg

NAKHON PANOM — Buddhist worshipers are flocking to the fallen head of a giant Buddha statue, which was recently unearthed in Nakhon Panom province, in search of good luck.

The head was a part of a failed construction project to build a 9-metre-tall Buddha statue at Wat Buddha Nimit Temple in Tha Uthen district 26 years ago.

The construction was halted when scaffolds around the huge Buddha collapsed, injuring several construction workers, local officials said. The head of the Buddha also fell off from its body. Over time, the Buddha and its detached head became completely buried underground. Local administration officials unearthed the artifacts for the first time earlier this week.

The news has attracted much attention from local residents, who flocked to witness the unearthed giant Buddha head and construct a number of colourful shrines filled with offerings of fruit and flowers around the artifiact.

Those hoping to win the next lottery draw also closely inspected the Buddha head for potential clues to prize-winning numbers.

One such lottery hunter, Sitthichai Mikawan, 35, said he arrived with his family members this morning after hearing about the incident on TV to seek a divine fortune for next try at the lottery on 1 May.

Asked whether he found what he sought, Mr. Sitthichai said he noticed a mark resembling the number five near the Buddha head.

Lampoei Chanapot, village headman of Na Soke Nuea community, told reporters that some residents claim to have seen the numbers 815 and 915, while others swear that they have witnessed "holy water" trickling out of the Buddha head's neck.

"It's a strange incident, but I don't want them to be too superstitious," Mr. Lampoei said.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398775278

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-30

The most of Thais, and not only from lower class would like to use Buddha images, monks ceremonies, wat's coin-boxes for lucky, they don't care too much other things in Buddhism.

Sad.

• Like 2

The head was a part of a failed construction project to build a 9-metre-tall Buddha statue at Wat Buddha Nimit Temple in Tha Uthen district 26 years ago.

Me thinks that any 'luck' associated with this old relic, ran out quite some time ago.

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

No wonder Thailand is in such a mess.

• Like 1

I could have sworn we were living in the 21st Century. Oh, wait, that's only for the rest of the world.

Well they seem to be doing exactly what the rest of the world is doing - here they go to a fallen head and hope to improve their luck, elsewhere in the world people pray in front of statues of a crucified man and hope to improve their lives/cure diseases etc.

• Like 2

Once again we see why there are no Buddhists here. They only pray for money which is the opposite of what they should be chasing as a Buddhist.

Can we stop calling them Buddhists as they are an insult to real Buddhists in other countries

• Like 1

Once again we see why there are no Buddhists here. They only pray for money which is the opposite of what they should be chasing as a Buddhist.

Can we stop calling them Buddhists as they are an insult to real Buddhists in other countries

Why cant they be like Christians , Muslims and Jews who religiously adhere to all tenants of their religion.laugh.png

PS: what is it that make you think that they only pray for money?

• Like 1

Why cant they be like Christians , Muslims and Jews who religiously adhere to all tenants of their religion.laugh.png

There is a difference, that is they are religions and Buddhism is not.

I don't respect those that say they are good _______ (insert silly sky god), and then do bad things. But to be a christian, you only have to believe. To be a Buddhist, it is about how you live your life.

So that is what you do, not how you think.

What makes me think it is all about money, observation

The wrinkles on my balls look like the number 666. Should i buy a lottery ticket?

or a small travel iron..w00t.gif that should straighten your nut sack out...remember use a damp cloth..hahahahaha..try expaining that away at the burns unit..and they thought theyd seen it all until you walked in.bow legged..

• Like 1

What makes me think it is all about money, observation

They could be praying for good whisky, fast cars, and slow women.

I think the ones in the picture are praying that the don't get attacked by the giant Buddha head like those unfortunate lotto hunters did.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The wrinkles on my balls look like the number 666. Should i buy a lottery ticket?

Actually it's 999, you're looking at them upside down.

Aha a plan.... 666 999 and I have 2 spots on my Butt the combination is a winning number for sure. makes as much sense as trooping off to visit a statue

In fact 815 or 915 will probably be a winning combination in the next lotttery. By pure coincdence I am sure, and not due to unscrupulous govt officials fixing the results to perpetuate superstitious hokem which can be used to further manipulate the down trodden.

I don't buy into any of these commercialized religions, so I agree that we can paint them all with the same superficial brush.

But I do know for a fact that Thais pray for more than just money when they solemnly bow their heads at a shrine or wat. I've heard them, and their pleas to Buddha are for luck and beautiful things as well.

Nothing more superstitious than hundreds of thousands flocking to see a two popes beautify their own predecessors....

(Edit: it was 2 popes, not just 1)

Jesus was also a man only, if he ever existed.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

Lampoei Chanapot, village headman of Na Soke Nuea community, told reporters that some residents claim to have seen the numbers 815 and 915, while others swear that they have witnessed "holy water" trickling out of the Buddha head's neck.

You may call me a racist or a Thai basher but sorry, I can't take these morons for granted anymore.

....ok......it has 2 eyes.....so that's 2 it has 1 nose.....so that's 1 2 ears.....so that's 2 1 face so that's 1 1 chin so that's 1 2 cheeks so that's 2

"Hey Somchai ...come over here......... I have got the winning lottery numbers"

"What do you mean they look complicated?"