Four women slip to their death at Kanchanaburi waterfall

webfact

ACCIDENT
Four women slip to their death at Kanchanaburi waterfall

The Nation

KANCHANABURI: -- A probe into the drowning of four Bangkok women at a waterfall in Kanchanaburi's Si Sawat district on Sunday has revealed theywere taking photos when they slipped into the water, losing their life vests in strong currents before being pulled into an underwater cave.

Nathamon Lekbumrung, 39, Nareumon Kamonpattana, 33, Yuwadee Khongpichiensri, 29, and Papassorn Lohananthachai, 37, had travelled to the waterfall on Huai Lam Khlong Ngu in tambon Na Suan with dozens of friends, deputy provincial police chief Colonel Manit Chamlongrak.

The victims' bodies were sent to the Institute Of Forensic Medicine yesterday for autopsies.

Manit urged tourists to be careful and strictly follow their tour guide's instructions.

Taking aim

He said the four women left their group as it prepared to leave because they wanted to take more photos from a high angle but slipped and fell in the water.

Water Rescue Club Region 7 president Chalermpol Hongyont said retrieving the bodies was difficult because of strong currents and the rescue mission took about two hours, with the bodies retrieved at about 6pm on Sunday. Rescuers spotted three life vests floating and found the bodies in the cave in about five metres of water. Chalermpol said the women were still holding hands.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

These waterfalls are very lovely but dangerous places, where some people will stand to take photos amazes me. Is it worth seriously injuring or killing yourself for the sake of a photograph??? I don't think so ..!

• Like 2

Tragic and once again raises the question as to whether perhaps they could swim or not. Thailand has an inordinately high proportion of drowning, many of which are preventable if people had some swimming or basic water safety skills. Still, in this case it may have made no difference. Very sad.

• Like 2

Do I have this strait .... stood to close to the edge .... fell into the water .... life vest falls off .... (must have worn it like they wear motorcycle helmets) .... dragged by the current .... pulled under water .... deposited in an underwater cave.

Hmmm .... if I say this on a TV program or movie, I would not believe it that it was possible. Talk about your number being up!

sad.png

• Like 1

"Chalermpol said the women were still holding hands"

Anyone who can read this and not get choked up is inhuman.

Your right, at first when read it I was also chocked, but meanwhile thinking on how a life jacket can get out if you hold someones hand.

My opinion, they did not wear life jacket, the floating jackets where thrown in the water to clear the guard .......

i hate to say it but you might be right. How could the life jackets come off if they were worn correctly?

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

These waterfalls are very lovely but dangerous places, where some people will stand to take photos amazes me. Is it worth seriously injuring or killing yourself for the sake of a photograph??? I don't think so ..!

Kanchanaburi water fall...is this Erawan...Visited April 22nd this year and seen no one wearing life jackets, lots of Thai's and Russians there. Very nice and clean as one had to put a deposit on any plastic bottles on entry to falls, as for me I had water bottles in backpack out of sight. It is hard to believe that anyone could drown at these falls as many people as well as myself could easy save a life if someone had a swimming problem, now not sure if this posting is regarding Erawan falls...could be more specific about Kanchanaburi waterfalls...many national parks on route...enjoyed the travel with my new Honda Forza and Thai lady to help navigate the journey.

post-27018-0-38929700-1399345372_thumb.j

Very sad and my condolences to their families and friends.

Where was the regulatory enforcement to CORRECTLY wear the life jackets. I cannot believe they were wearing them correctly (or at all). Had they been correctly worn this tragedy may have been avoided or minimised. But, this is Thailand - mai pen rai.

• Like 1

in thailand theres a high % of people that are simply NOT AWARE of danger nor take basic precautions for said danger. even when the precautions are posted in writing eg; MRT/BTS escalator hold hand rail. very few actually do. many play on their phone instead.

the classic motorbike helmet non secured chin strap is another example.

properly secured life vests could have saved lives.

some will cite "nanny state" but basic prudent safety precautions can prevent a world of hurt or worse

• Like 2

You would never understand because you are not Thai.

Then consider this an alien point of view because, in the face of drowning, the elements have all the help they need without giving them the added advantage of not having your hands free.

in thailand theres a high % of people that are simply NOT AWARE of danger nor take basic precautions for said danger. even when the precautions are posted in writing eg; MRT/BTS escalator hold hand rail. very few actually do. many play on their phone instead.

the classic motorbike helmet non secured chin strap is another example.

properly secured life vests could have saved lives.

some will cite "nanny state" but basic prudent safety precautions can prevent a world of hurt or worse

The entire culture seems to lack situational awareness in every respect. Part of it may be the amulets.

absolutely agree

Your right, at first when read it I was also chocked, but meanwhile thinking on how a life jacket can get out if you hold someones hand.

My opinion, they did not wear life jacket, the floating jackets where thrown in the water to clear the guard .......

Perhaps they were holding on to each other in desperation after the strong currents had pulled the lifejackets off. Is there any need for you to be so cynical in such tragic circumstances? I think if they were not wearing lifejackets and the "guard" had just thrown them into the water their friends would have commented on it.

• Like 2

Then consider this an alien point of view because, in the face of drowning, the elements have all the help they need without giving them the added advantage of not having your hands free.

Yes, I too rather discount the likelihood of the victims still holding hands when they were found - the automatic reaction of most people in that situation would be to get your hands free and try to swim / escape the danger.

Patrick

often a drowning person will try to take the rescuer down with them. this is why lifeguards are taught how to prevent this. is it possible they held on so tighly to each other as as a frantic attempt to do this very thing? i question if their hands would remain together after death though?

Do I have this strait .... stood to close to the edge .... fell into the water .... life vest falls off .... (must have worn it like they wear motorcycle helmets) .... dragged by the current .... pulled under water .... deposited in an underwater cave.

Hmmm .... if I say this on a TV program or movie, I would not believe it that it was possible. Talk about your number being up!

sad.png

That is exactly what strong currents can do.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself. I read it and did not choke up. And that makes me inhuman?

I read this stuff everyday in the paper and would choke to death if I met your standards of how we should react.

• Like 1

Kanchanaburi water fall...is this Erawan...Visited April 22nd this year and seen no one wearing life jackets, lots of Thai's and Russians there. Very nice and clean as one had to put a deposit on any plastic bottles on entry to falls, as for me I had water bottles in backpack out of sight. It is hard to believe that anyone could drown at these falls as many people as well as myself could easy save a life if someone had a swimming problem, now not sure if this posting is regarding Erawan falls...could be more specific about Kanchanaburi waterfalls...many national parks on route...enjoyed the travel with my new Honda Forza and Thai lady to help navigate the journey.

Didn't happen at Erawan. Lamkhlongngu is a little further west, closer to the border with Burma.

Kanchanaburi was hit by a few heavy rain storms at the weekend so maybe added to the flow at the falls.