'Don't remove the cone': latest advice on the Net

Lite Beer

'Don't remove the cone': latest advice on the Net
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The message "Don't remove the cone" has been spread both seriously and in jest in social media after another case of a person being assaulted for doing so on a road blocked by anti-government protesters.

The mother of student pilot Surasuk Sowattanang-koon filed a complaint with police after her son was attacked on Friday by a group of people believed to be guards for the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) after he removed cones used to block the tollway outside ThaiPBS.

The men used gun handles to break the windows of his car and hit him until he lost consciousness, he told police investigators while being treated at hospital. A video of the incident has been shared on the Internet.

Phra Buddha Issara, who is in charge of the PDRC rally site, said he would hand the guards over to police.

Last month, Colonel Wittawat Wattanakul of the Directorate of Joint Intelligence was sent to hospital after being shot at near the anti-government group's Chaeng Wattana rally site when he got out of his car to remove a barrier blocking his way.

Phra Buddha Issara handed the PDRC guards responsible for the assault over to police and gave Bt50,000 to Wittawat's family.

Sumeth Somkanae, a safety trainer of the Thai Journalists' Association, has joined other social-media users in posting advice about safety precautions at rally sites. It includes:

l Study the routes and plan travel in advance.

l Drive slowly when passing a protest site. Do not take a turn or U-turn too quickly as there might be a misunderstanding.

l If the road is blocked, do not remove the barriers without permission as it might cause a misunderstanding.

l Be patient, keep calm and talk in a friendly manner.

Countering the argument on why people should yield their rights to protest guards who blocked roads without authority, Sumeth said the guards had no right to do so but following his advice was still important.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-11

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phra Buddha Issara handed the PDRC guards responsible for the assault over to police and gave Bt50,000 to Wittawat's family.

Why doesn't UDD police their following the same way?

Edited by Piichai

If these people are unarmed, non violent and peaceful why is the monk handing over his guards and paying hush money to family. Are they only violent pieces of excrement when they get caught? If the monk is the leader of this site then the buck stops with him and he is entirely responsible for the actions of his militia.

Red shirts infiltrators
  • Like 1

Why doesn't he hand himself over to the police?

How can this bloke set himself up as judge jury and executinor and just keep harassing intimidation anybody that dare cross him or his thug guards?

Why should people yield their rights the guards?

Exactly!

Why doesn't he hand himself over to the police?

post-9891-0-51008600-1399774544_thumb.jp Here we see the police apologizing to the "Mad Monk" at the Police Sports Club complex Lak Si.

Surely if they wanted to arrest him, this would have been their best chance?

Answer to your three questions. Because he can. Surely even you know that.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We are scared ! When moving to Thailand 6 month ago we were very excited to live in such a lovely country. Now my wife doesn't want to leave the house, actually she wants to leave the country. We live near Chaeng Wattana. We have met very often the "guards", either in the street or in the nearby shopping mall. They look look like thugs, my wife says they look like bikers, now the sunday riders, the gangsters. Until now they were keeping their distance but now we read in the newspapers that they start to attack people at random. According to our expat colleagues it's the first time in recent time that protesters attack innocent bystanders. So far the violence has always been confined around the protest sites but now things seem to change especially for the follower of this monk. How can someone call himself "Buddha". It shows what a fanatic nuts we are dealing with.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. I am up very early this morning and the first I did was checking the news to see if anything happened in our neighborhood. Yesterday I was talking to my boss. I asked him either to assign me somewhere else or to accept my resignation. He asked me to wait a few days and promised a special bonus to make up for the trouble. Money is fine but if we see any new report of people attacked in their car by these so called "guards", we are out of here !

What you say is very sad. Just bear in mind though, that this is still one of the safest countries in the world in every other respect. Your location at Chaeng Wattana is unfortunate. Presumably you are renting as you've only been here a few months. Why not surrender your deposit and move to a more stable part of town. Then you can relax and enjoy the company of Thais at their best: jovial, fun loving, gentle, friendly people.

These thugs are like the Nazi brownshirts -mindless violent thugs, acting at the behest of a man who sounds more like Hitler every day. They do not represent the Thai people who reject them repeatedly at the ballot box. They represent the rich elite who are using them to maintain their control of the country.

• Like 1

One f the best comments I have read is from above 'Millwall fan'''in every other way Thailand is one of the safest places in the world' - he must be comparing it to Milwall - very safe if you don't drive, take a bus, go by train,live in pattaya , hat yai,or take ferries or use jet ski's in Phuket etc etc -very safe -I think I am going to die crying with laughter!

• Like 1

All these wannabe mafia cone heads self proclaiming themselves heads of policing. Can't wait for this to be over so they can get screwed by society when going back to their menial tree climbing jobs.

Edited by tomyummer

We are scared ! When moving to Thailand 6 month ago we were very excited to live in such a lovely country. Now my wife doesn't want to leave the house, actually she wants to leave the country. We live near Chaeng Wattana. We have met very often the "guards", either in the street or in the nearby shopping mall. They look look like thugs, my wife says they look like bikers, now the sunday riders, the gangsters. Until now they were keeping their distance but now we read in the newspapers that they start to attack people at random. According to our expat colleagues it's the first time in recent time that protesters attack innocent bystanders. So far the violence has always been confined around the protest sites but now things seem to change especially for the follower of this monk. How can someone call himself "Buddha". It shows what a fanatic nuts we are dealing with.

Last night I couldn't sleep well. I am up very early this morning and the first I did was checking the news to see if anything happened in our neighborhood. Yesterday I was talking to my boss. I asked him either to assign me somewhere else or to accept my resignation. He asked me to wait a few days and promised a special bonus to make up for the trouble. Money is fine but if we see any new report of people attacked in their car by these so called "guards", we are out of here !

For your families benefit can you move, our high number Sukhumvit area is peaceful.

I don't know whats more disgusting, the PDRC guards or those supporters of the PDRC who defend these thugs. Their behaviour is indefensible

You call these thugs? Nah, They are far from it.

The real thugs are coming out and recently they hire a farang leader as well.