Looking for meat rabbits (Chiang Mai)

Hi,

Any leads on where to get a couple of good meat rabbits in Chiang Mai area? Just 2 does and a buck for personal use...

I prefer New Zealand (I think crossed with some big Thai breed), or alike (big fast growing meat rabbits).

I know it's been asked before, but non of the answers I could find on this forum (or google) where still up to date.

I asked on some facebook group and got the answer that I should adopt a soi dog instead (?!) Well, guess dog can be tasty too, but that's not what i'm looking for right now and not what that person meant anyway... ;)
Please start your own topic if you want to discuss how we shouldn't eat bunnies because they are cute.

Thanks for your help!

To be honest, I don't think Thais eat rabbit. I've had this conversation with my wife before. Weird though, cause they eat anything else!

Try a pet store. Really. Often see them in markets, but as pets, not food.

I've visited loads of pet shops in the last week, so far no leads. If anybody spots them or something similar at one of the pet shops or markets around Chiang Mai, please let me know where!

I know most Thai's are not interested in eating bunnies, the reason usually being "they are cute pet, not food". There are/where a couple of rabbit farms around here though, according to some university research paper I found dated a couple of years ago. Mainly to supply Bangkok (French restaurants?) and for export. But no mention where they are...

people often say it tastes most similar to chicken, but a bit leaner. It's mostly white meat. As with anything the taste will greatly depend on many factors, including the way it's cooked.

ill check warrorat market,, i didnt see them there before, just some small rabbits, but can at least ask around there, thanks. Any other places? Anyone know where those rabbit farms are?

Edited by spoonzor
  • Like 1

Wifey says I must have imagined the conversation where she said that they don't eat rabbit. She has eaten rabbit and would still if there were any left. Around here all that is left for hunters is rat, and not much of that either. My mistake. But you still never see it for sale or people rearing them for eating.

Hmmmm. Maybe that's the next project for our farm.

Rabbits taste like yummy.but tough like old boot leather, u need to boil the shit out of it for about 2 months.We used to shoot and trap them on the farm as kids.

Then years later I bread them in my backyard in OZ sold them to people in town as pets and to eat.Newzealand big bastards.

Try looking in chutlchut market bangkok.Ive seen them there.Get off the bts train at mochit station and follow the stink.Lol

Start with 2 and then by the end of the 1st year you will have 45,000 fighting screwing and shitting everywhere.Inbred bloody things.

Anyway best of luck

Cheers Cobbler

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by cobbler

I've visited loads of pet shops in the last week, so far no leads. If anybody spots them or something similar at one of the pet shops or markets around Chiang Mai, please let me know where!

I know most Thai's are not interested in eating bunnies, the reason usually being "they are cute pet, not food". There are/where a couple of rabbit farms around here though, according to some university research paper I found dated a couple of years ago. Mainly to supply Bangkok (French restaurants?) and for export. But no mention where they are...

Rabbits taste like yummy.but tough like old boot leather, u need to boil the shit out of it for about 2 months.We used to shoot and trap them on the farm as kids.

Then years later I bread them in my backyard in OZ sold them to people in town as pets and to eat.Newzealand big bastards.

Try looking in chutlchut market bangkok.Ive seen them there.Get off the bts train at mochit station and follow the stink.Lol

Start with 2 and then by the end of the 1st year you will have 45,000 fighting screwing and shitting everywhere.Inbread bloody things.

Anyway best of luck

Cheers Cobbler

Start with 2 and then by the end of the 1st year you will have 45,000 fighting screwing and shitting everywhere.Inbred bloody things.

Anyway best of luck

Cheers Cobbler

there was a guy on here years ago who had a go at raising them,

but he had problems with ants getting a the babys,

i canbt remember the thread name but it was on here,

jake

I found a link which has other links in it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612537-farming-rabbits-in-thailand/

The Mod's comment at the end is quite amusing ... who says they don't have a sense of humour ... whistling.gif

• Like 1

thanks david,

i had a feeling it was ozzy who had something to do with them,

ive ate bloody thousands of them, im from a poaching family in linconlshire, we allways had lurchers, jack russlls, neted then, ferited then, ran them with the dogs at night,shot them, we cought them anyway we could,,lol

ive seen one since ive been in thailand, it was in some cassava near our house, the thai men saw it too who were spraying the cassava, so there is some wild ones still here but very very few,

i havnt seen the big ones you need for eating, ive seen the minitures at the markt for same as pets, wouldnt get a mouthfull out of them,lol

its getting the feed here too, in the quantities you would need to make a go of it, you cant just feed them grass,

jake

> Could try Makro in the frozen foods area. Know they have meats like goat and frog. Always a chance they might have a cool bunny.

I prefer to buy live rabbit.

> I take it that you are considering starting to farm rabbits.

Yes, on a tiny scale, nothing commercial.

> there was a guy on here years ago who had a go at raising them, but he had problems with ants getting a the babys,

I advise "free hanging" cages to minimize the ant problem. But many babies will die anyway, for whatever reason. That's just part of raising rabbits.

You know they root a lot right ?

Do they? I need that for my Andorid phone anyway. wink.png

Anyway best of luck
Cheers Cobbler

I think if you cull them a bit younger the meat is not thát though. Wild rabbit of unknown age is usually tougher that home raised.
Bankok is a bit far away, I will check how much it costs to bring a couple by airplane. Did you mean Chatuchak Weekend Market? Somehow I don't really trust the animal dealers on that market. Wouldn't be surprised if they only sell sick rabbits (just looking at the way they 'sanitize' the whole operation). I still hope to find a small scale hobby farmer who is willing to sell a couple of does and a buck.

Edited by spoonzor

I found a link which has other links in it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612537-farming-rabbits-in-thailand/

The Mod's comment at the end is quite amusing ... who says they don't have a sense of humour ... whistling.gif

Thanks. I read it all (before i posted). Besides a couple of useful and funny posts and loads of discussion on eating meat of any kind i found 1 solid lead and 2 "not so solid" leads to answer my question.

A member from Chiang Rai who was (hopefully still is) selling them years ago, I contacted him already. (solid lead!)

Someone "heard about" a Rabbit Farm in Kanchanaburi Province breeding original White Newzealand"

And "a market in Korat" that supposedly sold "some kind of rabbit" about 8 years ago ...

This gent in Chiang Mai still does. Sells rabbit at his restaurant and his farm is about 10 km from it. Restaurant is on the 118.

GPS 18.8351376682, 99.0606472528 Rabbit stock from Royal Project and he sells to Rimping.

post-157194-0-77738000-1400313748_thumb.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, let me bump this post. I tried all the above suggestions and still did not find meat rabbits!
Did give up the search for awhile, but like to start searching for meat rabbits again.

Any new suggestions? Anybody just has some big rabbits that breed?

Wild caught taste better, but rabbit meat is missing 2 essential proteins. 2 Canadian hunters were found dead of malnutrition, after trying to survive on rabbit meat alone.

Edited by Mosha

Right... so where can i legally hunt rabbit in Chiang Mai????

And about malnutrition: DUH, you think if you eat ONLY chicken, or ONLY pork or ONLY anything you will survive, like this is a rabbit specific issue?

Lol no I love rabbit. A dipstick neighbour used to quote the rabbit thing. So 1 day I saif. "OK I'll give you a choice. You can eat or drink as much as you want of 1 thing exclusively from, steak, raw potato, or water. He chose steak. Then he got annoyed when I said he should have chosen raw potato. "H'mff no one eats one thing!" replied. "Well you brought it up."

Rabbit stew yum.

Right... so where can i legally hunt rabbit in Chiang Mai????

And about malnutrition: DUH, you think if you eat ONLY chicken, or ONLY pork or ONLY anything you will survive, like this is a rabbit specific issue?

Lol no I love rabbit. A dipstick neighbour used to quote the rabbit thing. So 1 day I saif. "OK I'll give you a choice. You can eat or drink as much as you want of 1 thing exclusively from, steak, raw potato, or water. He chose steak. Then he got annoyed when I said he should have chosen raw potato. "H'mff no one eats one thing!" replied. "Well you brought it up."

Rabbit stew yum.

Raw potatoes probably do not have enough water to keep you going. Without food you can go several weeks, without water about 3 days.

Actually raw potato is poison, i guess the trick is at least it kills you faster...

So, please, I'm not asking for recipes, hunting techniques, eating disorders or how cute rabbits are an how Thai girls (think) they won't like to eat them, i'm only asking:

Where can i get large breed (meat) rabbits in Thailand?
I prefer Californian or New Zealand mixed with Thai breed but anything is welcome.

Thanks!