Thai army chief announces military coup

webfact

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who did not endure 3 coup d'état does not know Thailand

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bravo Enzo! So, I know Thailand then? I remember very well the coup d'etat in 1991 when they closed all gas stations on Sukhumvit Road in BKK.

"Niwattumrong is in the American Embassy"

"Talking of a government in exile via the American Embassy"

This could get ugly. Either Kristie, Obama, etc. will denounce the coup along usual lines (we know what's best for democracy so do what we say, etc.) or they might actually get involved in trying to restore the Thaksin puppet rule, which would be a big mistake.

Thai PM is NOT at US Embassy - Ambassador @KristieKenney: Absolutely false. Do not believe rumors #ThaiCoup #Bangkok #Thailand

• ตอบกลับตอบกลับถึง 0 ครั้ง
  • รีทวีตถูกรีทวีตไปแล้ว 7 ครั้ง7
  • ชื่นชอบชื่นชอบ 0 ครั้ง
  • เพิ่มเติม

OK Thanks for the reality check. Just I've been getting this from multiple sources.

Some countries are just not ready for democracy. Military Dictatorship may just be what Thailand needs for an extended period.

Thailand WOULD be ready for democracy IF the fugitive would leave her alone to `BE democratic!!!

Methinks this is Thai democracy. Recent poll said 75% of people were in favor of martial law. Does that mean 10% (factoring in usual 15% with no opinion), of the people have been causing all this pain and ugliness? Just in case some don't understand, 75% is a massive majority.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is the real corruption of Thailand , all the red shirts want is to be able to vote for there politicians not have them appointed . democracy has never really existed in Thailand or anywhere else . its all theater .

red shirts vote for the paymaster - no money no honey.

Will they let Suthep out for his victory party or will they keep him in custody in the army camp?

I don't think anyone should see this as a victory. It certainly won't help the Democrats. Suthep may see it differently but I think Abhisit is smart enough to see the dangers. He didn't support the last coup so there's no reason to suppose he'll support this one either.

I think the General has let his expectation of getting things done when he wants them cloud his judgement. These sort of negotiations need time to work and he hasn't given that.

It took far too long to get to this point, I hope the military are doing whater is required to round up, neutralise the red leaders and shins... , i expect to wake up tomorrow to hear the red leadershave fled the country or are in custody...

The military have had a long time to plan this and all is going well.

Yet again, the political crisis pits a Bangkok-based royalist elite against the billionaire family of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra. It's amazing how many foreign media continue to refer to this mysterious elite, as though Thailand's problems really are that black and white. As though no other Thais could possibly reject Thaksin, his cronies, and all they stand for.

There goes the US military funding clap2.gif

I doubt that very much, there are much bigger strategic issues at stake and the thai military has been good to the the US. In this region, China is no democracy, nor is vietnam, Laos, Burma, as long as Thailand has a strong military force it will always be nurtured by the US whatever the public statements.

Edited by Bkkbound
  • Like 2

"Niwattumrong is in the American Embassy"

"Talking of a government in exile via the American Embassy"

This could get ugly. Either Kristie, Obama, etc. will denounce the coup along usual lines (we know what's best for democracy so do what we say, etc.) or they might actually get involved in trying to restore the Thaksin puppet rule, which would be a big mistake.

Thai PM is NOT at US Embassy - Ambassador @KristieKenney: Absolutely false. Do not believe rumors #ThaiCoup #Bangkok #Thailand

• ตอบกลับตอบกลับถึง 0 ครั้ง
  • รีทวีตถูกรีทวีตไปแล้ว 7 ครั้ง7
  • ชื่นชอบชื่นชอบ 0 ครั้ง
  • เพิ่มเติม

Hmmm.. lets wait and see after the dust settles...

Not that i would dare question our friends in Wireless road !!!!!

Her supporters have warned of possible civil war if opposition demonstrators achieve their goal of seeing an unelected interim premier take power

I thought they were already preparing for that with all the arms caches.... And that was before any proposal to sit down and talk.

It might be interesting if people read the May 26, 2014 issue of Time. Check out page 36 "Viewpoint" by Charlie Campbell. He is not worried about "Thainess" of giving advice to Thailand. His advice is to the US Government. Remember it is his opinion, if you want to argue the facts please send me the correct ones. If you want to question his opinion fine. Remember we are all entitled to our opinion>

how could Thailand say it has a democracy when everytime the people vote for a leader the army trumps there vote and idiots cheer there own demise . suthep is a corrupt murderer working for corrupt corporate interests , everyone outside Thailand knows it . what's the use of casting your vote if it can be co-opted by greedy sociopaths and there gangs . sad day for Thailand and freedom .

Edited by searcherkind666
  • Like 1

Retweeted by Kristie Kenney

As always, official U.S. government statements are only issued on U.S. government/embassy sites, pages, and feeds. (2/2)

//Edit: direct link to quoted Twitter post: https://twitter.com/USEmbassyBKK/status/469471132945354753

Edited by Maestro
added edit note

internet off at 9pm apparently.

Yup, seeing that rumor on twitter. We'll see in 5 minutes I guess. I read it's primarily to silence journalists, who are relying heavily on twitter.

Edited by keemapoot

There goes the US military funding clap2.gif

I doubt that very much, there are much bigger strategic issues at stake and the thai military has been good the the US. In this region, China is no democracy, nor is vietnam, Laos, Burma, as long as Thailand has a strong military force it will always be nurtured by the US whatever the public statements.

Somewhat true but there are other circumstances

Yes the US will have a military here they can work with as historically they have &

will in the future for sure. That is not a given it will be "this" military

Face is not just a Thai thing. USA just yesterday released a statement they were assured by Thai military of no coup!

Yet today?

They now know what they have on the ground here as it stands

Edited by mania

I have been planning to retire to Thailand and have plans to leave in two weeks. i'd like to hear from EVERYONE their opinions on whether I should continue with my plans or go to another neighboring country for the interim.....

Concerned

Stevo

It took far too long to get to this point, I hope the military are doing whater is required to round up, neutralise the red leaders and shins... , i expect to wake up tomorrow to hear the red leadershave fled the country or are in custody...

The military have had a long time to plan this and all is going well.

It took exactly the right amount of time. Just long enough after everyone was becoming sick of this farce, knowing exactly no side was about to give in, thus hastening yet more violence from Taksin's Lot and more disruption from Suthep's Oh No You Won't yellows, and before everyone ran around screaming Not Fair!