Thai army imposes night-time curfew across country

Lite Beer

9:00 pm Saturday night in sakon and many restaurants still open with many customers, I drove through the center of the city there were many gun toting solders at key intersection waiting for curfew deadline.What I can't understand is why isn't there a curfew during the daytime as well and just let essential workers go to work.reason being s@&t can happen during the day just as much during the night.Maybe the color of Red shows up better at night I guess.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spoke to auntie, mum and the kids on Skype today. No one there is bothered by any of this. Auntie just said "government have promplam, this happen many many time before" and laughed.

• Like 2

Got to hotel (majestic suites) at 9pm, rushed round to Nana which was more or less closed so hit Hillary's 2 (open to 11pm) then some bars further down Soi4, leaving at 2am (bar was still open [emoji106])

Did Hilary 2 actually close at 11PM?. The word was they would be open until 5am......

I don't know, it was a little quiet in there so we wandered further down Soi4 to a couple more bars.

Everywhere was rocking yesterday afternoon [emoji106]

Puppet clown government.

Baht to 40 soon.

Bars closed for weeks, months, or forever.

Media turned off.

Internet sites blocked.

See you all in Cambodia soon.

Try Laos - then you may find things in Thailand are not so bad after all. Consider a nation in the middle east perhaps. Or the Ukraine. Has someone taken your toy/s away here in Thailand?

The curfew applies to these 23 cities. List in Thai.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

great. any chance to get the list in english

Can try but not sure of English spelling

Maybe close enough?

1- Nonthaburi

2- Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya

3- Pathum thani

4- Makhon Pathom

5-Chiang Mai

6- Chiang Rai

7- Ubon Ratchathani

8- Mahasarakham

9- Roi-et

10-Nong Bua Lamphu

11- Sakon Nakhon

12- Kalasin

13- Mukdahan

14- Udon Thani

15- Nan

16- Lampang

17- Sisaket

18- Nakorn Ratchasima

19- Chaiyapoon

20- Nakhorn Sawan

21- Khon Kaen

22- Chonburi

23-Samut Prakan

attachicon.gifpost-731-14008724928204.jpg

UPDATE: it turns out that this list dates to a curfew mandated in May 2010. It is not relevant to the current situation.

The curfew is *nationwide* from 10pm to 5am (2200-0500).

• Like 1

UPDATE: it turns out that this list dates to a curfew mandated in May 2010. It is not relevant to the current situation.

I was wondering why there's still a curfew in effect in Hua Hin...

I popped out to do a bit of shopping earlier and lots of places had already closed down for the evening before 9pm.

I popped out to do a bit of shopping earlier and lots of places had already closed down for the evening before 9pm.

After a google search, i was about to post links to the adjusted times, including a proposed announcement from the military on Sunday, (cnn, guardian etc) ....then i noticed the date, 2010!

It fooled me.

After a google search, i was about to post links to the adjusted times, including a proposed announcement from the military on Sunday, (cnn, guardian etc) ....then i noticed the date, 2010!

It fooled me.

We aren't the only ones. The out-of-date list has spread far and wide through Thai social media from smartphone to tablet.

Thanks for that clarification

Your right about what you said in another post

Thai social media is passing it everywhere.

9:00 pm Saturday night in sakon and many restaurants still open with many customers, I drove through the center of the city there were many gun toting solders at key intersection waiting for curfew deadline.What I can't understand is why isn't there a curfew during the daytime as well and just let essential workers go to work.reason being s@&t can happen during the day just as much during the night.Maybe the color of Red shows up better at night I guess.

What, you want to see a curfew in the daytime as well ?? :)

For God's sake, NO !!

Yesterday I noticed 7-11 have stopped most promotions and have no bread (I checked 5 different branches in Ladprao, Bangkok). I assume the curfew is causing some shortages as a lot of logistics normally happen at night.

That makes sense...

If they closed at 10pm sharp, staff and clientele would have no other option than staying on the premises until next morning.

On a more serious note, this curfew needs to end soon for the good of the economy and the stability of the nation.

I've seen estimates of the size of Thailand's tourism industry as a portion of the economy ranging from 6% to 9%. Since tourism is a labor intensive industry it provides a larger percentage of employment. These numbers may seem small, but they aren't. Economic declines of a few percent have lead to riots in the streets and complete changes in governments during elections in countries in Europe. Without the pressure release provided by letting people express displeasure in elections worse things could happen here.

In addition the curfew is hurting more than just the tourist industry. Thai's love to go out in the evening and the country is full of bars and restaurants catering to Thai people who like to lounge, drink and snack late into the night. Places that did most of their business in the late evening are now closing at 9 p.m. The hours of their staff have been greatly reduced, and if the curfew continues much longer these places, and there are thousands of them, will close and tens of thousands of young people will lose their jobs.

Unemployment has a multiplier effect. When people lose their jobs they stop spending, and when people stop spending businesses stop making money and more people lose their jobs. A large number of mostly young people with no jobs, no money, no social outlet and endless free time is not conducive to peace and stability.

I hope the generals realize this and lift the curfew soon. If they attempt to maintain control by leaving the curfew in place they risk turning a tense situation into an explosive one.

• Like 2

Puppet clown government.

Baht to 40 soon.

Bars closed for weeks, months, or forever.

Media turned off.

Internet sites blocked.

See you all in Cambodia soon.

Try Laos - then you may find things in Thailand are not so bad after all. Consider a nation in the middle east perhaps. Or the Ukraine. Has someone taken your toy/s away here in Thailand?

The poster ,, wait till thb hit 40 ,, glad its up to 44 now for a euro

Hi guys,

What's last news about Thailand curfew?

CLOSED FOR BUSINESS, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE ????????????????

Edited by DLP

Hope the Baht takes a dive....down to where it belongs!

Where do you think the THB should be Frank?

up to 6000 thb per dollar ?

Take 2 groceriebags full of cash to buy a box of beer

The news is no news - the curfew still runs 0000-0400. Nationwide. It IS being more & more widely infringed, but the vast majority of things do close on time.

(the LAST time I shared the current curfew situation, they made an announcement that same night; so knock on wood - unless you live next to a noisy bar)

• Like 1