Night time curfew...

What next....the Internet?

Oh no no no no no! Please!

Thai people will have no Facebook, get bored and go out on the streets - counterproductive.

(AH - but that requires forward thinking . . .)

But farangs by the tens of thousands will not be able to work.

If the BIC (boys in camo) want to gag the teeming insurrectional hordes, then take away their bloody silly little tweety phones. Close the phone networks.

Then cut the TV. (No phones and no TV = Thai nation up in arms - and this will distract from the internet thing.)

That way the real work in Thailand can continue, regardless of all the face-keeping and handbag swinging.

R

Edited by robsamui

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A said before, curfew is NATION wide and Samui is included (so is Phangan and Tao). The early closing of your 7/11 stores is a start. It all depends how long the curfew lasts, i.e. a few days or longer. If longer, you can bet that curfew will be implemented here as well. If you have no business outside after 10 pm then why bother going out anyway. Lets hope it will be over soon as it does affect businesses.

Today in BKK is government holiday btw....

A said before, curfew is NATION wide and Samui is included (so is Phangan and Tao). The early closing of your 7/11 stores is a start. It all depends how long the curfew lasts, i.e. a few days or longer. If longer, you can bet that curfew will be implemented here as well. If you have no business outside after 10 pm then why bother going out anyway. Lets hope it will be over soon as it does affect businesses.

ERM . . .If you have no business outside after 10 pm then why bother going out anyway. What an asinine thing to say! Why does anyone ever go outside their house!?! A thousand reasons! Have you forgotten sitting on the beach in the moonlight or watching a lightning storm at sea? Going to visit friends? Or maybe you have no friends to visit. One of the sheer joys of Thailand, and Samui in particular, is that one can come and go as one pleases, whenever one pleases, without needing any particular reason or being bound by the clock. (Although from the sound of what you've written above it looks like joy is something you're not too familiar with!)

​Really? Samui putting its livelihood at risk by herding the cash cow tourists up the street with batons? 5-star hotels telling their guests they can't go out at night for a buffet and a show in Chaweng? Samui will have a blanket curfew at about the same time that the Samui police begin automatically stopping motorbike riders for not wearing helmets or taxis for not using their meters - both are which are enforced by law everywhere else in the country. Didn't you realise we're the last outpost of the Wild West?! thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

R

May be I did not make myself clear, but then again English is not my native language (I had to look up the word "asinine", if you would have written "extremely stupid" you could have saved me some time)) and I do not rely on the very few friends I have (I am careful choosing them). Anyway, what I meant is that if the curfew is enforced then what real reason do you have to go out after 10.00pm. And where I come from I can go out any time of the day/night as well, there are more places in the world where that is possible, not only Samui. Anyway, no point arguing with you or anyone who associates 'joy' with sitting on the steps of the local 7/11 drinking cheap booze......thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

ERM . . .If you have no business outside after 10 pm then why bother going out anyway. What an asinine thing to say! Why does anyone ever go outside their house!?! A thousand reasons! Have you forgotten sitting on the beach in the moonlight or watching a lightning storm at sea? Going to visit friends? Or maybe you have no friends to visit. One of the sheer joys of Thailand, and Samui in particular, is that one can come and go as one pleases, whenever one pleases, without needing any particular reason or being bound by the clock. (Although from the sound of what you've written above it looks like joy is something you're not too familiar with!)

​Really? Samui putting its livelihood at risk by herding the cash cow tourists up the street with batons? 5-star hotels telling their guests they can't go out at night for a buffet and a show in Chaweng? Samui will have a blanket curfew at about the same time that the Samui police begin automatically stopping motorbike riders for not wearing helmets or taxis for not using their meters - both are which are enforced by law everywhere else in the country. Didn't you realise we're the last outpost of the Wild West?! thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

R

May be I did not make myself clear, but then again English is not my native language (I had to look up the word "asinine", if you would have written "extremely stupid" you could have saved me some time)) and I do not rely on the very few friends I have (I am careful choosing them). Anyway, what I meant is that if the curfew is enforced then what real reason do you have to go out after 10.00pm. And where I come from I can go out any time of the day/night as well, there are more places in the world where that is possible, not only Samui. Anyway, no point arguing with you or anyone who associates 'joy' with sitting on the steps of the local 7/11 drinking cheap booze......thumbsup.gif

Not only pedantic but presumptuous also. Why would you think I have ever sat on any steps anywhere, drinking beer? I've been too pissed to walk up them a few times, but never felt the need to sit on them in order to fall down them!

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

If the powers that be were a little more selective about which channels to leave on or off, (which I imagine is technically possible) then staying in would be a lot more palatable for some,

I would guess.

Just out of interest is there anywhere someone cann suggest you can go to in Samui "Police Station" Government Offices" for clarification of whether or not the powers that be in Samui are enforcing this, all seems a bit of a "Grey" area, if as someone has mentioned, Soi Reggae & Chaweng were busy last night.

I'm tiptoeing to the 7-11 before the 10pm curfew in fear of my life lol!

Is Samui Cable operating at all today?

Thai channels are blocked but the remainder seemed ok (inc BBC/AJ/Fox/Oz news channels) when I last checked 90 mins ago.

HTH

Thank you, I'll give them a ring then. thumbsup.gif

"But farangs by the tens of thousands will not be able to work." But they shouldn't be working anyway as they don't have work permits!

DUH! Except for those thousands who do have work permits!

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

If the powers that be were a little more selective about which channels to leave on or off, (which I imagine is technically possible) then staying in would be a lot more palatable for some,

I would guess.

True, but if certain channels (and radio stations) were allowed to open, then a number of specially trained troops would be required to monitor what is going on at all those channels, whereas it only takes one unqualified trooper to monitor that they are all closed down.

And right now I am sure the military needs their troops elsewhere, especially those with various communication skills.

I am not supporting the shutdown,just explaining what I think is the reason for the blanket shutdown.

Well, I have just been to Bophut and back.... not a BIBBY or soldier in sight.... they must be having extra sleep time for the curfews .... perhaps why not much action last night on dealing with it .... not enough warning .... 555 tongue.pngI really don't think it will be overly enforced anyway! whistling.gif Time will tell....

As for Television news, it is not play by play minute by minute reporting on BBC, Alge, CNN, SkyNews, etc...whistling.gif

BBC reporter last night said BKK was not that bad to get around BKK... I suppose that could change..... (My TV signal comes from Malaysia) ....but with Hola or other IP by-pass it would be easy to get many channels, if you really need to watch TV on computer. wink.png

I hear CTH and True are down, still! sad.png

Can't wait to see RobS with his hand bang being drawn at dawn....tongue.pngwhistling.gif

What happened last time there was a coup or a curfew?

Did anything change on Samui or did things just move on as normal.

Everything was almost as normal last time.

You could not get news from true visions (UBC) but Samui cable got CNN and BBC from Malaysia.

Samui Cable still have a few channels active. BBC News, Fox News, SciFy, Universal, Australian Network, Golf Channel, plus a few others.

Spoke too soon. As at 12.30am no signal on Samui Cable. Will have to check again in the morning.

????????? I have watched the BBC News and my wife cartoons yesterday night till maybe 2AM I am in Maret/Lamai

Edited by Tchooptip

Well, I have just been to Bophut and back.... not a BIBBY or soldier in sight.... they must be having extra sleep time for the curfews .... perhaps why not much action last night on dealing with it .... not enough warning .... 555 tongue.pngI really don't think it will be overly enforced anyway! whistling.gif Time will tell....

As for Television news, it is not play by play minute by minute reporting on BBC, Alge, CNN, SkyNews, etc...whistling.gif

BBC reporter last night said BKK was not that bad to get around BKK... I suppose that could change..... (My TV signal comes from Malaysia) ....but with Hola or other IP by-pass it would be easy to get many channels, if you really need to watch TV on computer. wink.png

Can't wait to see RobS with his hand bang being drawn at dawn....tongue.pngwhistling.gif

Could anyone explain the need to have True shut down? Internet access ok but cannot watch a movie! huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Could anyone explain the need to have True shut down? Internet access ok but cannot watch a movie! huh.png.pagespeed.ce.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Movies on TV with antennae/cable/satellite is soooo 20th century!

Watch 'em on the internet, next to free or free.

I cut the cord March 1. One of my best economic and time-saving decisions.

Maybe the coup will inadvertently contribute to this new trend. Unless of course...

Edited by Fookhaht

OK girls - handbags at dawn!

Seriously Rob - good post ...except.....

The 5 * hotels LOVE reasons to tell punters 'do not go out - curfew.' This keep all guests drinking 300 baht bottles of hotel beer.

I have even seen a sign on a hotel check-in desk that read "If you leave the hotel - we cannot guarentee your safety!"

Apart from the fact that you can never guarentee anyone's safety - what a dumb sign! It implies that you are only safe if you stay in the hotel and that the streets of Samui are dangerous.

That's right, the hotels will be loving it. keep them in and get them spending! One man's loss is another man's gain!

OK girls - handbags at dawn!

Seriously Rob - good post ...except.....

The 5 * hotels LOVE reasons to tell punters 'do not go out - curfew.' This keep all guests drinking 300 baht bottles of hotel beer.

I have even seen a sign on a hotel check-in desk that read "If you leave the hotel - we cannot guarentee your safety!"

Apart from the fact that you can never guarentee anyone's safety - what a dumb sign! It implies that you are only safe if you stay in the hotel and that the streets of Samui are dangerous.

That's right, the hotels will be loving it. keep them in and get them spending! One man's loss is another man's gain!

Reports from my Thai friends in the hotel and tourism industry tell me that the hotels are emptying out today: Bangkok, Trang, Krabi

Expect a more serious attitude to the enforcing of the curfew on Samui and Panghan. Military headquarters sent a warning to Surat province to enforce the curfew. Also that they must do some PR to not frighten the tourists. 555

There are no exceptions since the curfew is imposed nationwide/across the country etc

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah well Samui and Phanghan are rather famous for not following orders and laws from Bangkok. ;)

But I think that will be different tonight. I saw a notice sent to Surat governor ordering him to enforce the curfew in his province. We'll see what happens tonight. Anyone already spotted some soldiers or increased number of police on the islands?

Keep this thread going! Its really interesting to see whats open and shut around the islands!

I'm getting married on Sunday and we are flying into Phuket Monday for our honeymoon :) After 4 days we are off to Sumui and then phangan. We have left the last two weeks open to hop about.

This thread to me is the most informative over all the news coming through as you guys are there "live"

Keep it coming! And Thank you!

Martin and Shelly (UK-Bristol)

• Like 1