How safe are we going to be on our bikes now?

AllanB

The last time there was political unrest, just in Khon Kaen alone, one farang was knocked off his bike by an angry mob and another had to flee for his life (perhaps) outside Big C. They seemed to be targeting foreigners then, who they are the only group in the "rich" category, who ride bikes and are therefor vulnerable.

Now the red shirts are even more angry, with what they consider, democracy snatched away from them by the rich and powerful, backing the army. Now I don't want to get involved in the rights and wrongs of either side, that is for another forum, but even before the 22.00hrs curfew time, how at risk are we now on our bikes?

Trollish, rumor-mongering post, intent on creating fear.

How is it trolling, it is the subject matter, how is it rumour mongering, the two previous incidents were real and how is it creating fear, when the threat is real?

There will be a time, before this is all over, when mobs will take to the streets and looking for an easy target. It should be realised and discussed and I for one will leave my bike at home when trouble starts in KK.

If you think it is all <deleted>, ignore the whole thing and go on as normal.

I got caught up in a mini riot in Copenhagen (of all places) a few years back, it only involved a few dozen people and that was scary. A bigger riot involving hundreds would be much worse and we don't exactly blend in with the locals and on bikes too, well.

Never heard of such attacks, but imo an interesting question.

As tourists are allowed to be on the streets if needed i thought it would be perfect to ride on empty Bangkok streets at night now. But maybe i am wrong w00t.gif

Here in Bangkok area i feel safe. If you live in a redshirt area maybe you should wear red under your jacket and show it to the angry mob if they start to attack you. But Allan, with your old bike you should have no problem anyway. They wont think you are rich wink.png

• Like 1

i live in Bangkok for 7 years and seen 4 major political unrest.

Besides, my bikes are red color!

I have never felt any threat or any problems or never had any safety concerns.

Even while i was passing from Si Yaek Khok Wua 4 years ago when army and red+black shirts throwing each other grenades and firing bullets, still nothing happened, no one even looked at me in a bad way.

They dont consider foreigners a part of it.

Of course, if you go inside them and want to be a part of it - which some foreigners get killed or jailed before, you might get some bullets or grenades or some jail time.

Dont be paranoid Allan.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Interesting question - but I've been travelling to Thailand for work for so long I think it was called Siam when I first came here - and now I've been living here for 6 years and I've never felt any specific threat towards me for being a ferang on a bike (apart from the tea-money grabbing BIB)

I used to take my bike through the original Red Shirt barricades in Chitlom to get to work and they were always helpful and polite (and even moved the tyres for me so I could get my bike to the office). I had a few hassles getting in out of the Anti-Gov barricades at Asoke last year when going home - but only because they wanted me to leave my bike outside the compound and I wanted to get into my covered car park.

The guy makes a reasonable point. I would suggest lying low as random acts of violence could occur not that expats are being targetted but that anytime groups congregate for violence it can be dangerous.

• Like 1

I think the two guys who were "attacked" last time were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, I wasn't suggesting they were hunted down, or even targeted. Both of the guys involved were riding step throughs or scooters and neither was seriously hurt. This is probably the least racist country I have been to, but there are Thais who do group us farangs with the other camp.

Plus rioters are rarely thinking straight anyway and whilst I wasn't here during the 2006 coup d'etat, KK is a Red-shirt area and there was trouble two years ago, during a less serious situation. On that occasion they razed the Visa office to the ground and set fire to other buildings too. Just a lot of guys running wild, most doing nothing much at all except drinking and shouting, but it is often the booze which leads to worse things.

I don't think it is paranoia to keep a mind on the changing situation, any more than is paranoia to be concerned about idiots on the road, which also endanger our lives, but on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I think the two guys who were "attacked" last time were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, I wasn't suggesting they were hunted down, or even targeted. Both of the guys involved were riding step throughs or scooters and neither was seriously hurt. This is probably the least racist country I have been to, but there are Thais who do group us farangs with the other camp.

Plus rioters are rarely thinking straight anyway and whilst I wasn't here during the 2006 coup d'etat, KK is a Red-shirt area and there was trouble two years ago, during a less serious situation. On that occasion they razed the Visa office to the ground and set fire to other buildings too. Just a lot of guys running wild, most doing nothing much at all except drinking and shouting, but it is often the booze which leads to worse things.

I don't think it is paranoia to keep a mind on the changing situation, any more than is paranoia to be concerned about idiots on the road, which also endanger our lives, but on a daily basis.

But this isn't really bike related. If you avoid protest camps and dont join any crowds of protesting people you are not in danger imo. You can easily get stopped in a (expensive) car too, some will even say its easier to get away on a bike than with a car. If you see or hear there is trouble around the corner then just turn around and avoid it. This usually works very well.

How is it trolling, it is the subject matter, how is it rumour mongering, the two previous incidents were real and how is it creating fear, when the threat is real?

There will be a time, before this is all over, when mobs will take to the streets and looking for an easy target. It should be realised and discussed and I for one will leave my bike at home when trouble starts in KK.

I got caught up in a mini riot in Copenhagen (of all places) a few years back, it only involved a few dozen people and that was scary. A bigger riot involving hundreds would be much worse and we don't exactly blend in with the locals and on bikes too, well.

Your avatar says enough.

• Like 2

The guy makes a reasonable point. I would suggest lying low as random acts of violence could occur not that expats are being targetted but that anytime groups congregate for violence it can be dangerous.

SSDD

Your avatar says enough.

This is a good example for "argumentum ad hominem", isn't it?

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Riding to just north of Suphanburi later this morning to talk to a guy about killing mould... If I don't get back to you all, the lichen got me!

In honesty, I might slow down for speed traps and check points today...

Sent - how is not that important...

Please exercise care in what you post and do not post information that is not true.

I think if most people reasonably follow the advice of their embassy and consult with the locals about what is happening in your area we should be OK.

The current tensions are between different factions within the Thai political system. Foreigners are not a general target.

At the moment it is very hard, if not impossible, to get up the date info from embassies. Even their websites lag behind current events.

how at risk are we now on our bikes...you are just as much at risk...riding a bike...as you always have been...trying to dodge an angry mob...in another story...

I went out on my red bike today but wore a very green shirt.

Battle fatigues are the way to go.

Illegal!

Crackdown No 42/2011 - Ban on import, manufacture, sale and wearing of camouflage clothing by non-military personnel.

Enforcement has been shaky judging from the number of locals and farangs I see wearing camos but then, so was the enforcement of the ban on use of mobile phones when operating a motor vehicle........

The only time there is a riot in Copenhagen is when the English football teams visit. And bring their supporters/thugs

• Like 1

During Songkran, I got very good at getting ice water up under the face shields...... only day for deserved revenge on motorcycle riders. Motorcycles are wasps that do not wipe.

Now here's a guy who deserves a beating and unfortunately probably won't receive one, and we poor motorcyclists are the ones at risk...;)

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2