Facebook down across Thailand – reports

webfact

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suggestion for you, if you are blocked ...log on to the internet with Mozilla Firefox and download the Hola VPN add on (a freebie). Then you can log on as if you were in the USA , UK, or wherever, Facebook (inter alia) works quite happily then.

• Like 1

A suggestion for you, if you are blocked ...log on to the internet with Mozilla Firefox and download the Hola VPN add on (a freebie). Then you can log on as if you were in the USA , UK, or wherever, Facebook (inter alia) works quite happily then.

That does work but be prepared to answer a question like what is your

birthday when FB sees you are logging on from a different location.

Hahah had a problem with that as I used some random date when I setup FB

Now it is back up I went in & changed that to something I will remember

But also FB immediately notified me someone tried to log on from the US & was it me.

Pretty good security from them I guess

• Like 1

This was clearly a DNS issue. Google DNS always worked. Facebook the site was never blocked. TRUE DNS didn't have the entry. Facebook TTL is two minutes plus time to discover the problem, fix the problem and distribute the record.

Now, the question becomes stupidity, test, or blundered test. Proper blocking would never involve just a DNS entry.

Here in Bang Saray my FB just went down at approx. 4:54 pm. Bummer. It's the main way I communicate my situation in Thailand to friends and family ... many of whom are worried about my safety during this coup.

• Like 1

Facebook with 3BB Lamphun is down. Just a guess that this is some sort of Facebook DNS or data center issue. Could of course be wrong. They have blocked and shutdown several websites a week or so back

http://www.techinasia.com/martial-law-sites-shutdown-social-media-watched/

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) commissioner insists this is not censorship. “This is to ask for cooperation to monitor content which may affect peace and order. THIS IS NOT CENSORSHIP AT ALL, but a blockade of only content or websites which may contravene to public morality and cause conflict and unrest and threat to national security,” the commissioner told media on Wednesday after a meeting between the censorship body and 105 Thai ISPs.

Read more: Under martial law, Thailand will shut down some websites and monitor social media http://www.techinasia.com/martial-law-sites-shutdown-social-media-watched/
The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) commissioner insists this is not censorship. “This is to ask for cooperation to monitor content which may affect peace and order. THIS IS NOT CENSORSHIP AT ALL, but a blockade of only content or websites which may contravene to public morality and cause conflict and unrest and threat to national security,” the commissioner told media on Wednesday after a meeting between the censorship body and 105 Thai ISPs.

Read more: Under martial law, Thailand will shut down some websites and monitor social media http://www.techinasia.com/martial-law-sites-shutdown-social-media-watched/

While facebook is a major distraction in the workplace, it is also a necessary tool for my job. I use it to recruit workers, particularly expats here in Bangkok. So, as you are expressing your joy as to its unavailability, just remember that some expats and some thais are probably losing the opportunity to obtain beneficial employment due to the outage.

I agree. I admit for a long time I thought it had no purpose in my life like many but I now belong to several research groups doing collaboration via FB and now happy to have it.

It seems to be back up now but without the chat facility. Best part of this was that there were far less idiots commenting on TV posts on FB

Chat is working for me TOT CM

Yes was down even after FB came back

But seems fine now

NCPO denies blocking Facebook

BANGKOK: -- Following outcries by many Facebook users, the National Council for Peace and Order promptly denied that it has a plan to block Thais' access to the most popular social network.

Col Sirichan Ngathong, deputy spokeswoman of the NCPO, said the junta assigned the online media monitoring committee of the Information and Communications Technology Ministry investigate why the services were inaccessible.

She said the committee found that technical glitch at a main gateway linking Thailand's Internet to Facebook servers abroad caused the services to be inaccessible in many parts of the country.

Sirichan said the ICT committee had held an urgent meeting with the Internet service providers and expected that services would resume before 5 pm.

The services resumed at around 4:40 pm.

NCPO deputy spokesman Col Winthai Sivari went on TV at 4:55 pm to announce that the technical error at the gateway was the cause of the problem.

Many people found out at about 3 pm that they could not access their Facebook pages, leading to speculation that the social network was blocked because it was used as a main medium to organise protests against the junta.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-28