what to do about our wild and crazy chicken chasing dog?

But once you castrate you will change the Dog into a docile animal that will sit around eating, half the dog it used to be especially if you want your dog to secure your property etc.

Ohhh, that's horse shit. Both of my dogs have had their nuts removed, and trust me, they're very defensive about protecting their home. Not a chance someone can even get close to the gate, let alone inside the yard. If someone comes by the gate, they get told by both dogs quite sternly to back away.

I'm not sure, because nobody has ever tried, but if someone tried to jump the gate, I'm quite confident my dogs would attack and that person would find themselves in the hospital. No guarantees as nobody has tried, but wouldn't surprise me.

Most likely if someone jumped your fence and showed aggression to the dogs they would back off..lol there only making noise as they know that space!

Again why do you think a male bull is so dangerous?

But a male bull that has been castrated which is called a Bullock is so tame and is bred to eat and get fat then slathered for meat?

What is it with the preoccupation with bulls and bullocks ? Did you do your dissertation on that subject ?

No, LMFAO but I did grow up on a working farm so I do understand about animal's - its just a great example.

One thing I learn from my father/grandfather was how to take care of animals that's all.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Beagle who was antrainable .Tried everything to stop him from jumping on our living room furniture., nothing worked.

Until an electronic Remote training Collar was recommended.It goes around his neck and it is calibrated to his weight to give him a mild electric shock when a remote controller button is pressed. The power to the collar is supplied by a small watch battery, so it is not strong, I tried it on my self to make sure and it was very mild, but it got his attention. The moment he jumped on the couch I would zap him.

It is called negative reinforcement,he learned to associate discomfort with the unwanted behavior.

Now,even 8 years later, he will not even go anywhere close the the living room furniture.

Remote%20Dog%20Training%20Shock%20Collar

Most likely if someone jumped your fence and showed aggression to the dogs they would back off..lol there only making noise as they know that space!

Well, if you like we can give 'er a good ole test run. You come by my house, and my dogs will hear you before you even get to the gate, and will be telling you you're unwelcome. If after a few seconds of that, you still have the nerve, feel free to jump the wall into the yard, and we'll see what happens. Bet you walk away bloodied and in need of stitches.

Come on, they're dogs. Nuts or no nuts, they're not going to back down from protecting their home.

• Like 1

Well, if you like we can give 'er a good ole test run. You come by my house, and my dogs will hear you before you even get to the gate, and will be telling you you're unwelcome. If after a few seconds of that, you still have the nerve, feel free to jump the wall into the yard, and we'll see what happens. Bet you walk away bloodied and in need of stitches.

Come on, they're dogs. Nuts or no nuts, they're not going to back down from protecting their home.

Bet I don't leave bloodied as I have past trained in kickboxing, I would break their jaw with a full force kick before they get a chance to bite!

Edited by Display

Bet I don't leave bloodied as I have past trained in kickboxing, I would break their jaw with a full force kick before they get a chance to bite!

So you agree they wouldn't back down just because they have their nuts chopped? Good, thanks.

So you agree they wouldn't back down just because they have their nuts chopped? Good, thanks.

LMFAO!!! Whatever.... I'm sure they would just do a runner as I would not like to hurt the dog's.

But am not starting an argument with you - Just my opinion, they will still work as a deterrent if their barking like mad!

Edited by Display

I have a Beagle who was antrainable .Tried everything to stop him from jumping on our living room furniture., nothing worked.

Until an electronic Remote training Collar was recommended.It goes around his neck and it is calibrated to his weight to give him a mild electric shock when a remote controller button is pressed. The power to the collar is supplied by a small watch battery, so it is not strong, I tried it on my self to make sure and it was very mild, but it got his attention. The moment he jumped on the couch I would zap him.

It is called negative reinforcement,he learned to associate discomfort with the unwanted behavior.

Now,even 8 years later, he will not even go anywhere close the the living room furniture.

electric shock for jumping on the furniture,i thought your dog was one of the family,ours has a double coat but he can go anywhere he likes as he lives with us.as for the electric collar it might come in handy when your john Thomas rises for the occasion and the wife says no.w00t.gif

• Like 1

electric shock for jumping on the furniture,i thought your dog was one of the family,ours has a double coat but he can go anywhere he likes as he lives with us.as for the electric collar it might come in handy when your john Thomas rises for the occasion and the wife says no.w00t.gif

Let's leave John Thomas out of this, but I am sure he appreciates your concern. smile.png

I love my dog, and he loves as , but I also like my furniture and I don't like it full of dog hair.

But that's not the point,

the point is that if there is an unwanted behavior, and when other methods for modifying such behavior have failed, this could be a useful behavior modification tool. As I said it is benign , I have tried it on my self, and it does work.

Many people make the mistake of anthropomorphising dogs and treating them as humans, this is not beneficial to them or to the dog, Dogs have a different social structure than humans, The social hierarchy needs to be set early. A dog who knows it's position in the pack is a content, happy dog, anything else dysfunctional.

• Like 1

Let's leave John Thomas out of this, but I am sure he appreciates your concern. smile.png

I love my dog, and he loves as , but I also like my furniture and I don't like it full of dog hair.

the point is that if there is an unwanted behavior, and when other methods for modifying such behavior have failed, this could be a useful behavior modification tool. As I said it is benign , I have tried it on my self, and it does work.

Many people make the mistake of anthropomorphising dogs and treating them as humans, this is not beneficial to them or to the dog, Dogs have a different social structure than humans, The social hierarchy needs to be set early. A dog who knows it's position in the pack is a content, happy dog, anything else dysfunctional.

you say we have to stop treating them as humans,well what about the way dogs treat us[me&mrs.meat.

he tells us when he wants to go for a walk or a ride in the car,when he wants a treat,when he wants his dinner,he greets all the neighbours,he tells us when he wants to go to bed and when to switch the air con on,if he wants to go out for a no 1 its in high tone,a no 2 in a low tone,if there's danger eg.a snake he warns us,i could go on and on but you might think I am b.sh-ting I can honestly say we humans understand his doggy talk,and one more thing he understands thai and English.

if you think I am taking the urinal plenty of people who live by us can back up my story.got to go he wants the fan on in the downstairs shower room.

Spend their life on 3m chains!!!

What a life they must have! and i'm sure keeping them on 3m chains has improved their destructive behaviour???!

I don't understand why some people get dogs, how about being responsible and taking the time to train and exercise your pet. Are you going to do the same with a child if it turns out a certain way that you didn't want

Who said spend their life ?

When one of us are out there they're off the chains anyway and it's only until part of my land is fenced off.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Those E Collars are very good if all else fails. They can save you a lot of grief, including keeping your dog away from danger zones as well as teaching him what you don't want him to do. Obviously, the natural training methods are preferred, but if those methods fail then the E Collar is a very good last option. Dogs have needs........watch Ceaser Milan ( Dog Whisperer ) very good for those who genuinely want to understand their dogs. He is a dog physiologist rather than a dog trainer, but his results, even with very powerful breeds are excellent. I have 2 x very powerful dogs myself and follow his methods.......so far they have been great. Exercise, discipline and then affection....... Stick to this procedure everyday and the results will follow !

• Like 1

What a life they must have! and i'm sure keeping them on 3m chains has improved their destructive behaviour???!

I don't understand why some people get dogs, how about being responsible and taking the time to train and exercise your pet. Are you going to do the same with a child if it turns out a certain way that you didn't want

When one of us are out there they're off the chains anyway and it's only until part of my land is fenced off.

SDM

Sorry misread it, it reads 'most of their time' same same!

my point is out of sight, out of mind does not resolve the issue. It's natural for dogs to be part of a pack, the pack leader needs to be established early on and if it hasen't been it needs to be introduced, since they are not around tons of other dogs the human should be a leader.

To the OP most dogs are food driven/orientated it's a good way for training but takes time and it's friendly, unlike shock collars, look up clicker training and also as suggested cesar Milan or other training videos. It could be that your dog is just a mix with some hunting breed though and it might be instinct for it to want to chase chickens! But I think any breed/dog is trainable but it takes a lot of time. Castration is not proven and May or may not help, so I wouldn't get your hopes up with it, it all depends on the root of the problem.

SDM

my point is out of sight, out of mind does not resolve the issue. It's natural for dogs to be part of a pack, the pack leader needs to be established early on and if it hasen't been it needs to be introduced, since they are not around tons of other dogs the human should be a leader.

To the OP most dogs are food driven/orientated it's a good way for training but takes time and it's friendly, unlike shock collars, look up clicker training and also as suggested cesar Milan or other training videos. It could be that your dog is just a mix with some hunting breed though and it might be instinct for it to want to chase chickens! But I think any breed/dog is trainable but it takes a lot of time. Castration is not proven and May or may not help, so I wouldn't get your hopes up with it, it all depends on the root of the problem.

SDM

you say we have to stop treating them as humans,well what about the way dogs treat us[me&mrs.meat.

he tells us when he wants to go for a walk or a ride in the car,when he wants a treat,when he wants his dinner,he greets all the neighbours,he tells us when he wants to go to bed and when to switch the air con on,if he wants to go out for a no 1 its in high tone,a no 2 in a low tone,if there's danger eg.a snake he warns us,i could go on and on but you might think I am b.sh-ting I can honestly say we humans understand his doggy talk,and one more thing he understands thai and English.

if you think I am taking the urinal plenty of people who live by us can back up my story.got to go he wants the fan on in the downstairs shower room.

It is good that you communicate well with your dog, but I have news for you,He understands neither English nor Thai, what he understands is an association of a certain combination of sounds, with an associated behavior. That's why when communicating with dogs it is important to use the same short words and tone associated with the wanted behavior.

When I call my dog I say "Howler Come"

and he does not,

then I bark at him "HOWLER COME" and he comes running, to him this is not an English sentence that means howler come, it is a bark that means come,and the tone is also important. if I had trained him to come every time I said "Howler sing" he would come every time I said "Howler sing"

If dogs understood human English or Thai, I would be able to explain to my dog, that I know he was on the furniture and got off it the moment he herd me come in the room, because the spot he sat on is still warm, and his hair are still there, and he would not be surprised when I punish him for sitting on the furniture,

wondering how the hell does he knows laugh.png but unfortunately Dogs do not speak Human.

It is good that you communicate well with your dog, but I have news for you,He understands neither English nor Thai, what he understands is an association of a certain combination of sounds, with an associated behavior. That's why when communicating with dogs it is important to use the same short words and tone associated with the wanted behavior.

and he does not,

then I bark at him "HOWLER COME" and he comes running, to him this is not an English sentence that means howler come, it is a bark that means come,and the tone is also important. if I had trained him to come every time I said "Howler sing" he would come every time I said "Howler sing"

If dogs understood human English or Thai, I would be able to explain to my dog, that I know he was on the furniture and got off it the moment he herd me come in the room, because the spot he sat on is still warm, and his hair are still there, and he would not be surprised when I punish him for sitting on the furniture,

wondering how the hell does he knows laugh.png but unfortunately Dogs do not speak Human.

Depends entirely on the dog, my friend.

Depends on the dog.

Its not a dog problem. Its the owner. You should provide him with the basic obedient training within your capability. If this fellow is too active, a simple solution is to bring him for a run to drench his energy off. This is a sure-fire method!

• Like 1

The strangest solution, and yet the most intriguing that I have seen here in Thailand to deal with a dog that chases 'things' is to tie/clip a wooden log on the dogs collar; the faster the dog runs the more it smacks the dog around the head....

I wonder if that would work with my wife's ATM card!offtopic.gif.pagespeed.ce.ifZtFTWxj3.png Sorry but couldn't resist!

Now that's funny.clap2.gif

and he does not,

Depends entirely on the dog, my friend.

Depends on the dog.

I know what you mean, I checked , dog breads rankings by intelligence http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html,

and my dog whose a Beagle, ranked 72 out of 79 bread

the only things stupider than my dog was, a Bulldog, an Afghan Hound and a 2x4 piece of wood.laugh.png and I would not feel so bad if they did not say that the dogs tend to resemble their masters.sad.png

• Like 1