Cars valued at Bt20 million seized in smuggling ring crackdown

webfact

Cars valued at Bt20 million seized in smuggling ring crackdown
By Digital Content

14023011575082.jpg

BANGKOK, June 9 -- The Thai Customs Department on Monday said it seized 30 Honda and Toyota automobiles stolen in Malaysia but awaiting further movement in Thailand as part of their being smuggled to a third country.

In a press conference with Malaysian ambassador to Thailand Dato Nazirah binti Hussain today, Customs director-general Rakop Srisupaat said the cars worth Bt21.6 million were stolen in Malaysia and smuggled into Thailand to await delivery to a third country.

Mr Rakop said that Malaysian authorities had asked their Thai counterparts to suppress a gang of car thieves who included Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean and Chinese offenders.

They stole cars in Malaysia and smuggled them into Thailand through many channels.

Thai customs officials had closely monitored all border checkpoints with Malaysia but to found no suspected vehicles. It was believed that the cars may be smuggled using ships and finally found the stolen cars at the Laem Chabang port in the eastern province of Chon Buri.

Fifteen vehicles earlier stolen from Malaysia were seized. Mr Rakop said that the latest roundup was considered a major crackdown with 30 cars seize. Thai nationals found to have been involved in the crime tarnished the national image, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-09

We never heard more about all the high value cars discovered a few months ago up country. Brushed under the carpet no doubt.

Then we have the mystery of Chalerms Rolls Royce 'loaned' to him by a friend abroad.

• Like 2

We never heard more about all the high value cars discovered a few months ago up country. Brushed under the carpet no doubt.

Then we have the mystery of Chalerms Rolls Royce 'loaned' to him by a friend abroad.

You have not been reading the news properly, obviously: only just 5 days ago, it was revealed that Pol. Lt. Col. Korowat (DSI) was tasked by Gen. Prayut to form a special task-force to do exactly what you are referring to - and more.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This is a brushover .....the volume of hi-end vehicles bought into Thailand...whether in bits or full units, still pass through undetected....and NO!!...I don't have any further proof of this....but as we all know, it continues.

A few beat up Hiluxes and Nissans is hardly breaking news!

Ah, but Tarit of the DSI was on the cases. The trails may not have gone in the "right" directions so best allowed to fade away.

Didn't Chalerm say a number of luxury cars were owned by a Singaporean business friend but that he looked after them, including driving them around as a favor?

And all with a straight face too!

• Like 1

This is a brushover .....the volume of hi-end vehicles bought into Thailand...whether in bits or full units, still pass through undetected....and NO!!...I don't have any further proof of this....but as we all know, it continues.

==================================================================================================================

[sorry, I can't get my comment out of the original box]. However, no proof, no story!...and no need to be so aggressive.

==================================================================================================================

[sorry, I can't get my comment out of the original box]. However, no proof, no story!...and no need to be so aggressive.

w00t.gif Aggressive? You on the ale or something?

I think this might help and the second paragraph backs up your 'brushed under the carpet' claim.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649508-thailands-dsi-uncovers-complicated-plot-behind-luxury-car-scam/

the Chinese malaysians and Singaporeans are notorious in running mafia type criminal gangs. I saw this first hand in Malaysia where the Chinese in a certain part of KL controlled the business racket. All new comers needed their permission to run businesses

"....and NO!!...I don't have any further proof of this....but as we all know, it continues."

Well, you seem to know, but you speak for yourself and your own speculation. I don't think there were any "beat up" vehicles there, from what was shown they seemed to be in good nick

Has anyone actually read the post? The cars were STOLEN from Malaysia that is why they couldn't be sent out of Malaysia by legitimate means. They were probably on their way to Cambodia or Burma.

This was not a tax avoidance scam. Obviously they weren't too smart, they got caught.

Edited by ATF

mr charming his car is a Bentley ??

When I saw headline, silly me thought there might be a photo of one Ferrari or other high ticket wheels. That ain't gonna happen. Somewhat along lines of busting street dealers for drugs with much fanfare, while the big fish still doing swimmingly.

I would imagine Chalerm's collection will come up in the on going asset checks. I think a lot of those tax free Ferraris in BKK will have owners sweating more than a little soon! Wonder if those burned out ones a couple of years back were also stolen and in transit???

Why steal a car in Malaysia that's made in Thailand and ship it back to Thailand to smuggle it?

Because as you say they are made here, so plenty being shipped out all the time. Easy to hide a tree in a forest.