Bangkok: Wellknown ex-model Yooyee jailed 15 years for cocaine possession

webfact

Wellknown ex-model Yooyee jailed 15 years for cocaine possession

6-12-2014-12-11-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former model Yooyee was today (Thursday) sentenced to 15 years imprisonment and fined 1.5 million baht by the Criminal Court after she was fund guilty of illegal possession of illicit drugs for attempting to smuggle a small amount of cocaine into the country.

The ex-model, 40-year old Mrs Chatchaya Questa Ramos or Yooyee as she was wellknown in modeling circle, was arrested at Don Meuang airport’s arrival lounge as she checked in to enter the country. A search of her baggage unveiled 251 milligrammes of cocaine which was listed as Category 2 narcotic drug.

During the trial, Yooyee defended that the drug was meant for self consumption and not for sale. However, the court rejected her defence but still found her testimony beneficial.

The court first handed down a 20-year jailterm and a two-million baht fine on her but commuted the sentence to 15 years and 1.5 million baht fine due to her useful testimony.

Since Yooyee was given a three-month suspended jailterm for illegal possessing endangered species, the court added another three months on her 15 years imprisonment.

(photo : file photo from YouTube)

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wellknown-ex-model-yooyee-jailed-15-years-cocaine-possession/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-06-12

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous you don’t even get that for murdering 10 people on an expressway with no licence or insurance….or murdering hundreds in an unlicensed noodle soup shop called Santika

Idiotic Thailand as per usualsick.gif.pagespeed.ce.tVTSNn-2vr.png

I guess she isn't rich enough to get out of this particular pickle.

There must have been other options, surely she could have used her imagination. I would give my eye teeth to have been the prosecutor, we could have come to a very quick little deal.

I expect she will appeal...remain out on bail....and when the judicial dust settles years from now she'll probably end up with a suspended sentence and much smaller fine....I figure worst case a year or two in a low security prison.

Seems a bit over the top but a silly risk. What was the endangered species?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A dog! Thought she was going to sell it in Vietnam.

15 years what BS, remember the Australian who shot an American three times in the Top North hotel Chiangmai because he didn't like him! Only stayed in jail 1 year 9 months and returned to Perth! Murdered a guy but goes home!

Edited by Scott

Drug trafficking as we all know carries a heavy penalty in most if not all Asian countries. regardless of the amount, the crime is the same. Armed robbery of THB 1,000 or THB 1,000,000,000 is still armed robbery.

So by your analogy a defendant A slaps another persons face and is convicted of assault. Defendant A should receive the same sentence as defendant B, a person who viciously assaults another resulting in the permanent disability of the victim?

I disagree. Those crimes are not the same and that is the reason there is a judge, first to officiate over the hearing, then second, to sentence the convicted person. The sentence must fit the crime...

Bangkok Post says 251 grammes of cocaine.

If that's the case, it's a different story. Street value of around a million baht (in the UK) if it's pure, 600k if cut. Not really at personal use level unless you're Scarface.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Drug trafficking as we all know carries a heavy penalty in most if not all Asian countries. regardless of the amount, the crime is the same. Armed robbery of THB 1,000 or THB 1,000,000,000 is still armed robbery.

So by your analogy a defendant A slaps another persons face and is convicted of assault. Defendant A should receive the same sentence as defendant B, a person who viciously assaults another resulting in the permanent disability of the victim?

I disagree. Those crimes are not the same and that is the reason there is a judge, first to officiate over the hearing, then second, to sentence the convicted person. The sentence must fit the crime...

The sentence should fit the crime?

In the UK a quarter of as gram is probably a £50 fine.

She was done for 'intent to supply' obviously... Hence her defence was that is was for 'personal use' the judge rejected her defence, meaning he did not deem it to be for personal use, therefore he ruled she was dealing it... a whole quarter of a gram.... The judge is an idiot.

Typical, if it had been a Nigerian man, I wonder what the reaction would have been on TV.

Burn him at the stake.

Is that what you wanted to read?

It is what I would have read.

Well you hadn't read it until I wrote it in reaction to your condemnation of the TV community before anything even happened.

You stoked it.... If you don't like the forum and what the members 'may' come out with, I suggest you try fluffypuppydogforum.com

I had not read the article on the bangkok post but i suspected as much. I mean a quarter of a gram is totally different then 250 grams. It still is not much but its a lot more. That was why i asked in my previous post if it was not 250 grams.

I could not imagine them being this crazy hare even here and has een bad reporting here before.

Priorities. A reflection on why the place has many issues; and ones that don't go away, wasting time & energy on the small time things.

She should have been in the RED BULL family lineage. Then she could get piss drunk, speed, murder, run ways, lie and set up her driver while she's at it.

Edited by gemini81

If that's the case, it's a different story. Street value of around a million baht (in the UK) if it's pure, 600k if cut. Not really at personal use level unless you're Scarface.

Marco Pantani could have done that in a couple of days. I kid you not. smile.png

I had not read the article on the bangkok post but i suspected as much. I mean a quarter of a gram is totally different then 250 grams. It still is not much but its a lot more. That was why i asked in my previous post if it was not 250 grams.

I could not imagine them being this crazy hare even here and has een bad reporting here before.

But there is not one Thai article writing about 251 grammes.

https://www.google.de/search?q=%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88&oq=%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88+251

Edited by Taunusianer

Inconsistent sentencing is actually at the root of most problems in the country. Pooyais get squat, praii get shot.