Assange claims he was tortured in UK prison - media

webfact

Look, times have changed. The gloves are off and everybody tortures now. Until those that were/are responsible are imprisoned (keep GitMo open for those that really belong there) it will continue. That is the main reason I believe Assange may have been tortured. I don't think it amounted to much. Probably not as bad as the average arrestee gets in the states these days, if he/she isn't already dead.

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this leaked information?

I doubt very much that the UK is into torture and I doubt he would have waited this long to mention it.

<I doubt very much that the UK is into torture>

Seriously? Ask any Irishman detained at her majesty's pleasure in Northern Ireland if they agree with you on that.

And let's not forget what British troops did to those Iraqis.

While you're at it, ask the families of those innocent people murdered by the IRA how they feel, ask those who no longer have knee caps thanks to the IRA how they feel, etc, etc.

Those British troops who shamed their country by using torture in Iraq or Afghanistan have, or will be, prosecuted.

Individuals may go too far, for whatever reason, but the British state does not use torture.

As has been said many times; if these accusations by Assange have any truth to them, why did he not shout them from the roof tops long before now?

His apologists have yet to answer that question.

To the rest of us the answer is obvious; to get his name back in the papers and get some more of the publicity he so obviously craves.

• Like 2

Apparently this was all a translation error and they were talking about an electronic tag / tracking device worn on his ankle when referring to electricity on his legs.

Somehow this was mistranslated into Russian and then back into English.

Once you have been arrested, detained or sentenced you will undergo some form of torture.

Pepper spray, super-tight cuffs, stress positions, walling, no water, no food, no toilet, dry submarining"

These, to some degree or other are all torture.

Add to them, the odd or not so odd hard slap on the head,

Alone

Scared

Torture

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Look, times have changed. The gloves are off and everybody tortures now. Until those that were/are responsible are imprisoned (keep GitMo open for those that really belong there) it will continue. That is the main reason I believe Assange may have been tortured. I don't think it amounted to much. Probably not as bad as the average arrestee gets in the states these days, if he/she isn't already dead.

I am not sure I understand, those responsible for what?

When you speak of the torture an average arrestee receives in the states, do you mean at the hands of authority or by the unspeakable acts of other inmates?

Regards

Once you have been arrested, detained or sentenced you will undergo some form of torture.

Pepper spray, super-tight cuffs, stress positions, walling, no water, no food, no toilet, dry submarining"

Alone

Scared

Torture

Assange, would not have been tortured while in custody in the UK or the US. The only way he would have experienced a little dose of pepper spray, or any other party favors the police use, is if he resisted being taken into custody. During his stay, he would have received better medical care than the average citizen of the UK or the US. He would have been given free food, free security, and a free bed. I'm sure he would have been housed alone, just because of his notoriety. I suspect little Assange, is being less than honest about his adventures with the police.

Agree. If the US intended to torture Assange to gain intel then they would do so off American soil.

Would he have experienced a "roughing up" by guards? Assange is a very high-profile case and he would have many eyes watching his treatment in prison. He would likely be treated with kid gloves because appearance of Justice is often more important in the US than the actual carrying out of Justice.

Ofcourse, thats just my two cents and you can't even buy a gumball for that any more.

Torture is probably a little strong. Someone spoke to him harshly and it was torture. He got a static shock from the carpet when a prison officer reached out to take hold of him and now that's electrocution. Serious, the. sensitive new age breeds, they're a little soft.

He should consider himself lucky he wasn't driving down my highway when I was in uniform, as I would have pulled him over and slapped him just for the haircut.

Douchebag.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

UK has been complicit with the US in the never ending "War on Terror" in all things. Rest assured he would have been tortured by the US just as Chelsey Manning was and he will be if and when the US gets their hands on him. I doubt he was on the receiving end of much in the UK. I would imagine a 'little dose of pepper spray' or a bit of a taser would have felt like torture to him, just as it should. I'm sure he felt oh so free and appreciative of all his 'freebie's' courtesy the UK/US governments. You are right, his notoriety probably kept him from a much worse fate. I certainly wasn't well known but it was the Center For Constitutional Rights, the news, VVAW and others that kept me safe until Supreme Court (we had one then) Justice ordered me and my fellow VVAW members released back in '72. There is no doubt in my mind his notoriety kept him relatively safe from heavy torture. It won't if he is extradited to Sweden and I doubt if that happens he will ever make it to Sweden.

UK has been complicit with the US in the never ending "War on Terror" in all things. Rest assured he would have been tortured by the US just as Chelsey Manning was and he will be if and when the US gets their hands on him. I doubt he was on the receiving end of much in the UK. I would imagine a 'little dose of pepper spray' or a bit of a taser would have felt like torture to him, just as it should. I'm sure he felt oh so free and appreciative of all his 'freebie's' courtesy the UK/US governments. You are right, his notoriety probably kept him from a much worse fate. I certainly wasn't well known but it was the Center For Constitutional Rights, the news, VVAW and others that kept me safe until Supreme Court (we had one then) Justice ordered me and my fellow VVAW members released back in '72. There is no doubt in my mind his notoriety kept him relatively safe from heavy torture. It won't if he is extradited to Sweden and I doubt if that happens he will ever make it to Sweden.

Were you one of the "Gainesville 8?"

He isn't wanted in the UK, only in Sweden where he faces criminal charges. The fear is that Sweden will extradite him to the USA, but are Sweden really more likely to extradite him than the UK? If Sweden dropped the charges against him, he could go free in the UK.

Alone

Scared

Torture

Assange, would not have been tortured while in custody in the UK or the US. The only way he would have experienced a little dose of pepper spray, or any other party favors the police use, is if he resisted being taken into custody. During his stay, he would have received better medical care than the average citizen of the UK or the US. He would have been given free food, free security, and a free bed. I'm sure he would have been housed alone, just because of his notoriety. I suspect little Assange, is being less than honest about his adventures with the police.

Time for you to examine the difference between fact and opinion. It's a fascinating pursuit and one that may in future lead to a calm, cool-headed investigation,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to his own facts,

Here is a good start.

"Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.: "Buddha - Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta

Alone

Scared

Torture

Time for you to examine the difference between fact and opinion. It's a fascinating pursuit and one that may in future lead to a calm, cool-headed investigation,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to his own facts,

Here is a good start.

"Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.: "Buddha - Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta

The reason I suggested Assange, was being less than truthful regarding being tortured, is based on my prior experience in law enforcement, and common sense.

• Like 2

The reason I suggested Assange, was being less than truthful regarding being tortured, is based on my prior experience in law enforcement.

Such a little word but such a world of difference when "in" is replaced by "with".

;-)

I suspect some of the posters who are convinced Assange was tortured, have been recipients of correctional services at some point in time. If Assange had been taken into custody 20 years ago, he may well have had his melon thumped but not today.

• Like 2

As I stated, his chances of being on the receiving end of torture is much, much greater today. A 'thumpin' years ago, oh yea, a 'thumpin' today yea, real torture to follow today, 99.99% Ask Chelsea Manning. Assange's own website has stated he was NOT tortured, a bad translation.

• Like 1

If Assange was actually tortured, it seems he is planning on returning the favor to his viewing public.

He's going to become a fashion model and walk the runway...in the Ecuadorian Embassy...in the basement.

What a guy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIKILEAKS FOUNDER ASSANGE TO STAR IN LONDON FASHION WEEK
by BREITBART LONDON 27 Jun 2014
Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is set to make a London fashion week debut at the behest of fashion designer Vivienne Westwood's son Ben Westwood.
But Assange will not leave his enclave at the Ecuadorian embassy in London – he will continue to hideout there as the event itself comes to him, according to the Independent.
Assange, who has been holed up in the South American country's embassy in London for over two years now, is likely taking part in the performance to boost his profile. Ben Westwood's comments on the show reflect as much. He said:
“Julian’s been in the embassy for two years and it’s important that he doesn’t slip into obscurity. I want to highlight Julian Assange’s plight. What happened to him is totally unfair.”