The British Club - Bangkok

paul2510

Hi All

I have just relocated to Thailand, through work and was wondering if any members have had experience of the British Club in Silom. The place is very close to the apartment i am just moving into in Sathorn. I did have a walk into the place last Saturday and they gave me a days membership to look around and have a drink in the Bar. The place was fairly quite, which got me thinking is this the norm, maybe it picks up on an evening.

Any comments would be appreciated, especially from posters who are members are have experienced the place.

It's a really nice spot, if I spent more time in Bangkok I would join, as it is I have a number of mates who are members, so I go with them. There are plenty of non Brit members as well.

We've got kids and if we weren't on the other side of town I might join. They've done a bit to make it more kid friendly of late.

Ideally I'd love a polo club and ultimately and rbsc membership but don't have 800k for the polo just yet!

The Society of Professional Engineers meets monthly at the Brit Club and I go when in Thailand. I normally drive 4 hour round trip just for the meeting. It seems a nice place, good long pool, not too busy when i have been there. The tennis courts seem to get a lot of use at the end of the day. And pretty decent parking for us patient masochists who drive in Bangkok. But not living in Bangkok I never tried to join. Would seem to me a great place for swimming laps and maybe tennis in addition to the pub like scene.

Never been but think it's great that it even exists, how much was the day membership?

Hi

The day membership was free, i just advised i was thinking about joining and they let me in for the day... They do show you around which was quite useful.

• Like 1

The Society of Professional Engineers meets monthly at the Brit Club and I go when in Thailand. I normally drive 4 hour round trip just for the meeting. It seems a nice place, good long pool, not too busy when i have been there. The tennis courts seem to get a lot of use at the end of the day. And pretty decent parking for us patient masochists who drive in Bangkok. But not living in Bangkok I never tried to join. Would seem to me a great place for swimming laps and maybe tennis in addition to the pub like scene.

Hi

It's interesting to know the Society of Professional Engineers have a meeting there, being an Engineer myself i may look into attending one of these meetings. If you have any information could you please send to me

I've been a member for over 20 years, so there are a few fossils like me at the bar, but we're actually quite friendly smile.png and the Club has members of all ages and nationalities. There's tennis, swimming, squash, gym, cricket nets, and various other sports if you feel like doing some exercise. Many social events throughout the year organised for all types of members, from kids to fanatical wine tasters. Also the food at the various restaurants is excellent. If you're there late at night, the club can order a taxi for you which comes right to the club house front door, much better than arguing with a taxi tout in Silom. Free hi-speed wifi available throughout the club. Believe it or not, I don't get any commission for writing this!

Hi Quirpy

Thanks for the information, i am now thinking it will be a good idea to join, probably take the one year membership option first. Big factor for me is i can walk there in a few minutes and relax from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. I did try the Churchill Bar when i visited for the day and found that to be quite good and peaceful, nice spot to sit and read the newspaper.

Thanks again

Paul

We've got kids and if we weren't on the other side of town I might join. They've done a bit to make it more kid friendly of late.

Ideally I'd love a polo club and ultimately and rbsc membership but don't have 800k for the polo just yet!

Hi Samran

I did go to the RBSC once, my wife's sister is a member, and found it quite good, but as you mention the membership fees are quite high, but the time i did go it was quite busy so i suspect it must have some attractions.

One of my very close friends is a member of the British club, which has experienced change as we all have over the years. When she first came to Bangkok the club would not accept Thais nor Women within the club.. well she being a female and her husband being Thai, made membership a challenge. But time changed things for the best.. it really is a lovely spot, great place to relax.

I do not know about the membership rates etc... proper people do not discuss money together unless discussing business, as the old saying goes :)

If you want to meet people generally always in Thailand for the right reason this is one place you could look.. certainly beats bar time banter if you want to take your family our for dinner, or take the wife for some tennis.

To any members reading this, thank you for your hospitality and kindness in hosting me a few years back :)

It depends if you want to join ' middle and south of England' in your free time. I came to Bangkok to integrate into Thai life, not here moans about the maid, chauffeur or whats happening at Tesco Lotus.

Whilst the Club can be good for entertaining and networking , and yes, the sport and social activities on offer are good, its not something I use on a regular basis otherwise you miss out on the great and the good of Thailand. This country has so much to offer and it is " Amazing Thailand "

Fish n' Chips and more readily available if you venture back home for a holiday

• Like 1

I have been a member for a few years and, as others have said, its great if you have kids and live reasonably close. wonderful facilities esp for keen tennis players. Like anywhere I am sure there are some idiots but I have always found most members are pleasant, normal people who have ended up living in Bangkok for a whole host of reasons. Image and reality maybe somewhat different.

I had a look at the website, and just squinting over it, my eyes were drawn to "Dress Code".....

And that was enough for me, DEFINETLY not my thing,

A big body swerve for me...

But that's me ... Life is all about choices and like I said, not for me....

• Like 2

I would try to join if I lived in BKK , no question, however to quote Groucho Marx ' I would never join any club that would accept me as a member'......

I was going to post that quote, sadly it would have likely been deleted. I hope they allow yours to stay.

I am never quite sure about these " X Pat Clubs " or " British Club " ??? i guess these are good places for collecting information but I (probably like most people ) didn't really come to the " otherside of the world " and to enjoy this rather pleasant part of Asia to look for " British Clubs " ! I came here to get away from all that!

I guess there must be Brits that live here who " live the British lifestyle " and eat " Fish & Chips " sit in the room all day with the aircon on max " ( just so the room feels like the UK in winter ) and watches British TV ! please tell me there are not people who live like this in Thailand?

Oh and what is happening in " Corrie " ????

( Kind respect where due viewers...) x

You know, it doesn't necessarily have to be one extreme or the other. One can easily have a nice asian-life experience and also occasionally enjoy socializing with fellow countrymen and some fish 'n chips.

Been many times, including as a guest of a member and as a 'visitor' like yourself. Yes, it does seem empty during the day, but that is probably a bonus if you just want to chill out in the pool, gym or read the newspapers. I've often been on the brink of joining especially when i lived nearby also. You should read their online magazine and visit their cafe on Suriwong next to the old library (Nielson-Hayes?). The food is wonderful. There are loads of activities especially if you have a family. The wine tasting evenings are great. Now there are 2 reasons I never joined:

1. The high joining fees (even though I can well afford them - it's partly set up to keep out the hoy polloy).

2. It's a ghetto.

Every time I consider joining I always come up with conclusion that I really don't want to hang around the type of Brits I see there. I didn't come to Thailand to join some kind of ethnic brigade and I am sure i would say the wrong thing and upset many there very quickly.

Like the time I went to a travel talk and was told by the upper class twit of a speaker that I couldn't sit at the back of the room because it was reserved for late comers so they wouldn't disturb the talk. I told him that I wanted to sit there in case I wanted to go out for a pee (I had had a few beers just like him) to avoid exactly the same thing. I also asked him if it was right that I have to arrive late just so that I can sit at the back? i was glared at for that.

It's just all the silly social rules that you would be expected to follow - the kind I came to Thailand to get away from - that makes me think it's not the place for me. You decide for yourself.

This is a good post.

I value good criticism and even not being there in the club it makes me thing again because I came here to Thailand to get rid of inhuman RULES from my life.

Thanks mate for warning!....yes it smell to me like a little type of regime ..do that don't do that...(no phone in the some rooms...?? is it library?)

I am also free person by heart and I prefer more human conditions to having good time staying where locals or same type as me

p.s

Membership ..........what for...why ???

Thai bars and similar entertaining places do not have membership and must make some kind of profit too without it ......

e.g; In Australia in very remote place in the desert is mining town called Mt. Isa .

You can find in this small town many bars and some clubs but one particular one is Irish club.

Yes, you can become a member but really for small amount of money which entitle you to have lower price in their bottle shop where you can find huge amount of alcohol from all over the world and this is main reason people are joining that you have some nice feeling to join the friendly people.

I must say that many other bars and clubs are cheaper then Irish club but this club is really thriving and some are saying that this is actually biggest Irish club in Australia....

How they manage to be biggest in Australia in such small town ????

Simply you feel good and free over there.... and maybe because of the good human rules ...maybe culture?

Edited by gigman
  • Like 1

There is a pub in the British Embassy and there was a great club in Pacific Place but I forget what it's called. The Sunday Buffet was superb, smoked salmon, caviar and vodka.

I am never quite sure about these " X Pat Clubs " or " British Club " ??? i guess these are good places for collecting information but I (probably like most people ) didn't really come to the " otherside of the world " and to enjoy this rather pleasant part of Asia to look for " British Clubs " ! I came here to get away from all that!

I guess there must be Brits that live here who " live the British lifestyle " and eat " Fish & Chips " sit in the room all day with the aircon on max " ( just so the room feels like the UK in winter ) and watches British TV ! please tell me there are not people who live like this in Thailand?

Oh and what is happening in " Corrie " ????

( Kind respect where due viewers...) x

You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".

Your assumptions are purely based on nothing, as you clearly have never visited the club.

"I came here to get away from all that"

'You have either just arrived, still have saffron tinted glasses or are trying to prove your "Thainess".'

Canarysun: It seems that your "all that" comment has ruffled some feathers and you are being put in your place ... more or less confirming your point of view while demonstrating the pseudo-snobbishness that the membership adopts in an attempt to seem what they are not. You saffron-tinted-glasses-wearing arriviste, you!! How very dare you!

tories_to_reverse_fox_hunt_ban_692975.jp

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2