Five THAI board members resign

webfact

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members?

It's a part of getting rid of the Thaksin legacy, 5 red-shirt resign because they don't get free perks anymore.

Your're not necessarily wrong. But what else did they get? Nice directors emolument for attending some meetings, being well fed and contributing sfa?

Directorships of state enterprises seem to have been doled out based on being a political ally or doing the master's wishes over the last 12 or so years. That's why so many are resigning rather than forcing a sacking.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More resignations and moving officials to inactive posts.

The scale of these resignations and movements is huge and indicates the massive scale of the snouts in the trough.

It's no wonder PTP were prepared to start a civil war in order to hang on to these perks.

Start a civil war eh?

Must have missed that somewher along the line these last few months.

Still, as its been posted here it must be t

Stop Telling Lies About the Military and the Democrats And We'll Stop Telling The Truth About the PTP.

Tell you what, how about you show how non partisan you are by explaining the background to your post (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736145-five-thai-board-members-resign/page-3#entry8000585) and your reasons for believing this to be the "truth"

"One of the 1000s of scams going on at Thai has been the use of Thai Air Cargo for the personal use of the PTP regime"

seeing as you're only "Telling The Truth About the PTP" ?

How's it going down in the office of ThaiVisa today?

• Like 2

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members? That's chickenfeed and tokenistic. They need to deal with the cost structures , the bloated staffing, the free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc. They won't do that because of the payback for the union's support. It will just limp on, dead in the water..

Free tickets for staff are a no/very low cost staff benefit, and are more often than not only if spare seats are available. Staff travel is also good for staff morale and builds loyalty, the longer they serve, the greater the discount.

Free travel for board members is more likely positive space, never economy class, thereby denying big revenue

Airlines derive most of their profit from pax at the pointy end, and it's often said that 10% of the total pax (first and business classes) generate 90% of the profit, and the 90% in economy only 10% of the profit.

• Like 1

Reading back through this thrrad, I see great envy of airline staff entitlements.

Once again, most of it is subject to load, I.e., revenue pax get seats before staff.

It's different for senior management.

Many of my former colleagues now buy a full fare ticket on a low cost carrier rather than a discoumt ticket on their own airline

You'd understand why if you were stuck somewhere and every flight for weeks is full and you can't get back to work. Being denied boarding (the official term) is not an acceptable excuse for not signing on for your shift and can result Iin termination.

• Like 1

Stop Telling Lies About the Military and the Democrats And We'll Stop Telling The Truth About the PTP.

Tell you what, how about you show how non partisan you are by explaining the background to your post (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/736145-five-thai-board-members-resign/page-3#entry8000585) and your reasons for believing this to be the "truth"

"One of the 1000s of scams going on at Thai has been the use of Thai Air Cargo for the personal use of the PTP regime"

seeing as you're only "Telling The Truth About the PTP" ?

How's it going down in the office of ThaiVisa today?

Please explain, I think I'm missing something, like the entire point of that post for instance. You think I work for Thai Visa? tuzki-bunny-emoticon-007.gif

• Like 1

It is the same with most airlines A friend of ours works for Qantas and she gets return airfares from Australia to Bangkok for $98.00 After seven years of service , due in 9 months time she gets business class everywhere.And it is just not the airfares she also gets huge discounts from Hotels and cruise lines .

In most cases these tickets are on a Stand-by basis ONLY. So these are seats, that otherwise would be empty. Empty seats = no income!!

Exactly right I have many friends that work for Qantas it is not a perk it is recognition for service the longer you have been there the better the benefit. They aren't taking anybodies seat so it is actually making the airline money even if the seat is sold a a lower cost as that seat was not taken. Many companies have similar incentives for employees why not airlines.

If Thai is not willing to improve their service, food, equipment, seating, and any of the other aspects that will help the airline to be more competitive, the LEAST they can do is lower fares. Do that have that level of marketing savvy in them? Any creative juice to be seen anywhere in that organization? Of course the board members quit. No more first class tickets anywhere in the world. That was quite a perk. What was the cash value of that perk for them and their families?

Personally I have always found the service on Thai to be fantastic a lot better than other carriers. Most of their fleet is pretty new and the seating is far roomier than just about anyone else than Singapore. I would rate Emirates, Singapore and Thai in my top 3 carriers for service and comfort, though Thai has seemed to become far more expensive in recent years. Thats only my opinion of courserolleyes.gif

• Like 1

If Thai is not willing to improve their service, food, equipment, seating, and any of the other aspects that will help the airline to be more competitive, the LEAST they can do is lower fares. Do that have that level of marketing savvy in them? Any creative juice to be seen anywhere in that organization? Of course the board members quit. No more first class tickets anywhere in the world. That was quite a perk. What was the cash value of that perk for them and their families?

Personally I have always found the service on Thai to be fantastic a lot better than other carriers. Most of their fleet is pretty new and the seating is far roomier than just about anyone else than Singapore. I would rate Emirates, Singapore and Thai in my top 3 carriers for service and comfort, though Thai has seemed to become far more expensive in recent years. Thats only my opinion of courserolleyes.gif

I would rate Air New Zealand, Cathay, Qatar, Etihad, Eva, Emirates, Turkish, And a host of others before Thai NOW. Thai outpriced it'self, thinking as Thai sometimes do if business is slack put up the price to get the same money in---stupid.

• Like 2

Why do they keep going on about free tickets for board members? That's chickenfeed and tokenistic. They need to deal with the cost structures , the bloated staffing, the free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc. They won't do that because of the payback for the union's support. It will just limp on, dead in the water..

Who is the "they" you speak of? You mean the writers of these stories? Also, 20 free trips per board member isn't necessarily chickenfeed.

Do you know for a fact that board members get free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff? No ... you don't.

Is this ACM still a serving Royal Thai Air Force Officer? Or is he retired?

Transparency is when NO Serving Military personnel have any other paid positions within Private, or SOE's, it's called a conflict of Interests, this leaves the Junta wide open for criticism where cronyism, and Nepotism can be abused to the fullest, as soon as anyone opens their mouth to question this, it's a spell in the " reconciliation" centres.

Are serving Military personnel really the ideal people to be heads of civilian corporations and entities?

If he's the right man for the job and has a good track record of being able to turn poor business's to successful ones, then sure keep him there, but given the financial status of THAI, it would appear that none of the board were the right people.

Post deleted.

Edited by HerbalEd

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Think about it for a minute. If you want to drop the "free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc." would not the bitter taste be lessened by the knowledge that the top echelon had already lost their perks?

Plus, they've already stated that they are going to deal with the cost structures. I remember years ago when one of the major US carriers reduced the number of olives in the first-class salads by one, thus saving some $38,000 per year. For one olive. THAI has so much bloat that I believe they CAN be turned around with the right management and mindset.

Believe me, there are no first class salads on Thai airways let alone olives in first class salads. Tis but a teat on the belly of state waiting to be sucked by whomever is handed the suckle spot by those managing the farm at any given time.

I've flown many airlines all over the world and I find THAI business class on it's international flights to be quite nice and with very good food (for airplane food, that is) ... and the service is quite good also.

Yes, the easiest way to get rid of problems (if you did not manage to fix in your time " being on the top") is ;

to resign and find another place to continue sucking.....

I think general should keep them on their positions and ask them now to start fixing the problem for much smaller income without extras they had before.

Is this ACM still a serving Royal Thai Air Force Officer? Or is he retired?

Transparency is when NO Serving Military personnel have any other paid positions within Private, or SOE's, it's called a conflict of Interests, this leaves the Junta wide open for criticism where cronyism, and Nepotism can be abused to the fullest, as soon as anyone opens their mouth to question this, it's a spell in the " reconciliation" centres.

Are serving Military personnel really the ideal people to be heads of civilian corporations and entities?

If he's the right man for the job and has a good track record of being able to turn poor business's to successful ones, then sure keep him there, but given the financial status of THAI, it would appear that none of the board were the right people.

Regarding your question: "Are serving Military personnel really the ideal people to be heads of civilian corporations and entities?" THAI is not a "civilian corporation" ... it is a state-owned.

Edited by HerbalEd

Get Tony Fernandes on the job with a controlling interest you will then see profits instead of bureaucratic government cronies getting free flights to London etc etc wasting money but of course foreigners are not allowed to control anything so keep on posting HUGE losses. I never fly TG anymore too expensive and they are out of touch with my travel needs.

An investigation into THAI AIRWAYS past business decisions in favour of Thaksin's own business interests would round this off nicely.

An investigation into THAI AIRWAYS past business decisions in favour of favored business interests would round this off nicely.

See how better this reads. Includes your perspective but covers all, not just a one sided attack.

Think about it for a minute. If you want to drop the "free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff etc." would not the bitter taste be lessened by the knowledge that the top echelon had already lost their perks?

Plus, they've already stated that they are going to deal with the cost structures. I remember years ago when one of the major US carriers reduced the number of olives in the first-class salads by one, thus saving some $38,000 per year. For one olive. THAI has so much bloat that I believe they CAN be turned around with the right management and mindset.

"right management and mindset"

We Thais have stopped hoping for the right management and mindset when a company is govt owned & govt managed.

IF and when that ever happens the unions, politicians and other vested interests including the Duty Free Operator K....P...will make sure things move in a 'particular way'. These vested interests have drowned out national interest for the past 50 years and nothing is gonna change. Privatising the carrier is a first step if anyone is serious about changing things at Thai Airways.

I would rate Air New Zealand, Cathay, Qatar, Etihad, Eva, Emirates, Turkish, And a host of others before Thai NOW. Thai outpriced it'self, thinking as Thai sometimes do if business is slack put up the price to get the same money in---stupid.

I think that rather bizarre, and ridiculous business model occasionally works in a place like Samui, or Phuket, for a restaurant, or something modest. But, in terms of attracting an international customer base, who have a lot of choices, and are apart from the complete lack of common sense and reasoning so prevalent here in the LOS, it makes no sense. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot?

Who is the "they" you speak of? You mean the writers of these stories? Also, 20 free trips per board member isn't necessarily chickenfeed.

Do you know for a fact that board members get free tickets for staff, family and friends of staff? No ... you don't.

And it would be safe to say they are all on either business class, or first class. So that is an average of $5,000 to $10,000 per ticket? How do you think that $100-200KUS compares to their salary?

It is definitely a step in the right direction. The most critical change that needs to be made is to operate the airline as it is supposed to be run, to create great customer satisfaction and a profit. The major shareholder is the government(ministry of finance) and as we see in many instances where the government controls transportation(ie State Railway of Thailand), the service is not meeting customer expectations and fraud, waste, abuse create a loss instead of a profit. The board members should be highly qualified and compensated based at least 50% on their achievements in meeting their targets and fired if they can't meet their targets within 2 years. Its time to get real Thailand!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Believe me, there are no first class salads on Thai airways let alone olives in first class salads. Tis but a teat on the belly of state waiting to be sucked by whomever is handed the suckle spot by those managing the farm at any given time.

In 2009 London to Bangkok first class leaving, from memory at 13:30, served me a fine salad with olives, a lobster main and the cheese platter was to die for 1 hour after take off. I drank Jonny Blue (with coke) all the way because I could.

With that said, the seats were old, the stewardess rude after the 8th Johnny Blue ( I was polite and not drunk), the toilets were nothing special and the best thing about the trip was the Limo at the end….until I had to pay for the limo at the end of my journey.

In short, Thai were going down hill. They needed strong leadership. They were not going to get that under the previous administration. They will get it now.

Olives anyone?

"They will get it now."

How so?