Thailand push to lure foreign workers

webfact

MIGRANT WORKERS
Push to lure foreign workers

Manop Preutiwarodom
Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

Centres to be set up nationwide to register illegal workers, dependants

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND IS making a serious effort to bring foreign migrants into the legal workforce in a bid to minimise the impact of the recent Cambodian labour exodus and the country's poor human trafficking reputation.

The plan includes the establishment of one-stop service centres around the country for migrants from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia.

The first centre started operating yesterday in Samut Sakhon, which has a high number of Myanmar workers.

"With such centres, migrants will be able to complete their registration as legal workers in just 30 minutes, instead of nearly three hours," General Sirichai Distakul said yesterday in his capacity as chairman of the National Council for Peace and Order's committee on migrant worker issues.

Sirichai said centres would be opened in 22 other provinces in the near future.

The general expects the centres will boost transparency and end problems related to exploitative agents.

Millions of Myanmar, Laotian and Cambodian workers work in Thailand. Many of them, however, are illegal immigrants at risk of arrest and exploitation.

Fearing for their safety, about 200,000 Cambodians fled Thailand last month amid rumours that the junta had launched a crackdown. Some had not even been paid.

The legal return of Cambodian workers is crucial for various industries as Thais, for example, tend to shun construction jobs.

When migrants register, it will be easier for authorities to enforce laws and protect them from corrupt officials and human traffickers.

"We're also think about housing zones for them," Sirichai said.

More efficient control of migrant workers would improve the country's image, which was tainted by the US State Department's recent move to downgrade it to the lowest tier on its Trafficking in Persons report.

Many countries have threatened to take action against Thailand for its poor record in combating human trafficking and failing to protect people from trafficking gangs.

Samut Sakhon Governor Arthit Boonyasopat said more migrants than expected showed up at the one-stop service centre yesterday.

"We believe there are about 100,000 illegal workers in Samut Sakhon," he said.

While illegal migrants are apparently keen to register, Sirigorn Leardchayopit of the Raks Thai Foundation is worried about what will happen to them.

"Following registration at the one-stop service centre, workers can stay in Thailand legally for just two months. What if they can't have their nationality verified before the deadline comes?" she said.

"And how will the NCPO treat the workers' dependants later on? In Samut Sakhon alone, there are more than 10,000 children of foreign migrants."

Sirichai said the NCPO would consider additional measures for workers who could not verify their nationality within the two-month deadline.

Labour Ministry inspector general Anurak Tossarat believes the NCPO will extend the deadline if the nationality-verification process cannot be completed in time.

"Relevant authorities will also explore measures for their dependants. I believe there will be no harsh policy against them," he said.

Anurak said the NCPO's latest moves benefited workers as well.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Push-to-lure-foreign-workers-30237478.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-01

Thailand never "attracts" it "lures." Thais are always luring as to catch fish rather than to attract customers. They have done a great job. Thais are the best at "luring." Hats off to the girls of Thailand, the best lures in the world.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thais shun construction work, I do not know about this my girlfriends brother-in-law works very hard as a tile setter.

Its true, regardless of your one isolated example lol.

workers can stay legally for 2 months, the old paperwork merry go round but for what advantage, these people are just short of being begged to come back and work but can only do so for 2 months, then what, more inconvenience and more time off work.

Where do these officials come up with these ideas

• Like 1

All at the same time they are cracking down on farang in the country, but can't get enough of the ASEAN citizens who bring in zero money to Thailand and if anything send it out of the country.

Whatever happened to immigration rules that you can not do any work that a Thai can do?... Oh I forgot, that is for westerners only.

Our eyes are the wrong shape.

Very well put brother! I agree 100%, make the laws that never help them to succeed. Been that way for years. Let me see, they want you to retire there, but you can do nothing. they do not want to do anything, and they want to import other workers of less skill.. Damn, what a plan.....

Have a great day! kilosierra

• Like 1

Thais shun construction work, I do not know about this my girlfriends brother-in-law works very hard as a tile setter.

That is an actual trade though

I think they are referring to construction labour work such as tying rebar, concrete vibrating and putting up shuttering, cleaning away debris etc, all out in the sun and needs no perticular skill set (for Thai standards)

All at the same time they are cracking down on farang in the country, but can't get enough of the ASEAN citizens who bring in zero money to Thailand and if anything send it out of the country.

Whatever happened to immigration rules that you can not do any work that a Thai can do?... Oh I forgot, that is for westerners only.

Not really. It's the foreign slant on everything that defies logic.

Edited by silent

Regarding construction work is there any truth that the Myanmar people can actually build walls etc strait and Thais cannot? Is this why Thais don't like building?

So, as I'm not working at the moment and on a non imm O, perhaps I should ask Immigration if I can apply for a work permit as a construction worker. I wonder how they would treat it.

• Like 2

Good if migrant workers get legalised: i have seen the kind of work they have to do and the circumstances they are living and badly treated in Thailand from Thai officials. If things get legalised thats great and give security for the migrant workers. It doesn't matter why they work here in Thailand!!!!!!!

The Thai NGO "Raks Thai" is working and helping migrant workers since many years and many different projects!

Their boxes for donations are to find in all family shops!

Good point. We may be able to do some teaching which is very urgently needed. I have tried but in vain. They won't listen and do not want to learn.

So, as I'm not working at the moment and on a non imm O, perhaps I should ask Immigration if I can apply for a work permit as a construction worker. I wonder how they would treat it.

I know many very hard working Thai men and women. We are talking in generalities. I do not know what the percentages are, but maybe 30% of all Thai men are super lazy, and do not want to work. They believe the utter nonsense their parents told them, when the parents performed a HUGE disservice to them by telling them how special they were, just because they were boys. What garbage. When will Thai society start telling young boys- You ain't shi*. Your sister is smarter than you. You are no better than her. You must work for everything you will get in life.

• Like 1

Efficiency is a concept recognized around the world. It smooths the path for all involved. Anytime you make things easier for people, they want to participate, and the word gets around that you are dealing with groups and organizations that are intelligent, good at planning, organized, and earnest about what they are doing. In the absence of that, all you have is chaos.

only work thais are good at involves led on ones back

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well if they open up a centre in Pattaya for illegal worker to register and become legit, I hope the will not be too surprised at the number of white skinned bar owners at the front of the queue. whistling.gif

Closely followed by numerous "English" teachers ?