How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you were referring to the only white guy in the room?

They would not, if it were me there they would say that "hansum" guy over there...giggle.gif

But if I was sitting near you and had my wallet out showing my Visa and ATM cards I would be beautiful.laugh.png

They would not, if it were me there they would say that "hansum" guy over there...giggle.gif

But if I was sitting near you and had my wallet out showing my Visa and ATM cards I would be beautiful.laugh.png

But if I was sitting near you and had my wallet out showing my Visa and ATM cards I would be beautiful "Agree"

IE: Look at that "Stupid falang" which one "the beautiful one there" with the open wallet...

• Like 1

Will you dickos please get it straight? If I was in Africa I wouldn't say "That black guy over there" Because they are nearly all black. I'd say the one with the red cap or the one with whatever.

"The lad over there with Ebola."

Or if saying it to a Thai, "The lad over there with Ebora."

Edited by Deacon Bell

I believe Thais are xenophobic

And ignorant about other cultures and are not very open to other cultures.

I am not flaming but this is what I have observed.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I found this to be very true indeed, sorry I'm not trying to Thai bash, just speaking from personal experience and conversations I have had with Thai people....

Also as I mentioned in another thread, there is a lot of passive aggressiveness amongst the people

I believe Thais are xenophobic

And ignorant about other cultures and are not very open to other cultures.

I am not flaming but this is what I have observed.

I found this to be very true indeed, sorry I'm not trying to Thai bash, just speaking from personal experience and conversations I have had with Thai people....

Also as I mentioned in another thread, there is a lot of passive aggressiveness amongst the people

Yeah the younger generation is degrading into a selfish lot.

And a lot of Thais are out to cheat even Thais themselves!

The whole word is going in that direction folks, no one gives a S--T about anyone else

these days.

The snoty kids the "gready rich" sure aint what it was when i was a kid you only need

to watch the news to see how depresing the world is today. The human progress in the

past twenty years is amazing but very disapointing realy.

The whole word is going in that direction folks, no one gives a S--T about anyone else

these days.

The snoty kids the "gready rich" sure aint what it was when i was a kid you only need

to watch the news to see how depresing the world is today. The human progress in the

past twenty years is amazing but very disapointing realy.

I agree to a certain extent.

My sister (a card carrying member of the "me" generation) and her 15 year old son refuse to wear anything that isn't a designer label. Meanwhile, they're living off child support and food stamps. It makes me furious.

My 12 year old son only asks that whatever I get him is comfortable and covers his a**. He could not care less who made it or where it comes from. And while we can afford the designer labels, I think it's stupid to pay for a name, so I don't.

It's all in how you raise them.

• Like 1

If you don't want to be a farang. Lean how to speak thai and explain that your a not farang in thai tongue.png

Not like being called "falang"and being able to speak Thai aren't mutually exclusive, there are plenty of people with that ability on this forum I believe...

I find the best thing to do is not let on you can speak Thai at all, then when something questionable is said about you, you pull out the Thai....its a great feeling..

Edited by Smurkster

If you don't want to be a farang. Lean how to speak thai and explain that your a not farang in thai tongue.png

Not like being called "falang"and being able to speak Thai aren't mutually exclusive, there are plenty of people with that ability on this forum I believe...

I find the best thing to do is not let on you can speak Thai at all, then when something questionable is said about you, you pull out the Thai....its a great feeling..

That is exactly the annoying racism in being called Farang/Falang a twenty year expat

is still considerd "he is only a farang" by people who in most part are younger this is what makes it wrong if your are caucasian you are Farang simple regardless if you speek

fluent Thai, this is what makes it offensive.

Farang is Farang, Tourist is Tourist, Tourist is Farang, Farang is Tourist

Racial profiling is what it is, "That is why a black man is not called Farang"

That is exactly the annoying racism in being called Farang/Falang a twenty year expat

is still considerd "he is only a farang" by people who in most part are younger this is what makes it wrong if your are caucasian you are Farang simple regardless if you speek

so what? if there is racism involved it will be there no matter what label they use. getting rid of the label is not gonna get rid of the bigotry. if you cant handle what you perceive to be bigotted attitudes towards you, you shouldnt go there.

so what? if there is racism involved it will be there no matter what label they use. getting rid of the label is not gonna get rid of the bigotry. if you cant handle what you perceive to be bigotted attitudes towards you, you shouldnt go there.
The attitude of a lokal, "if you dont like it go home"

If i am sitting somewhere minding "my own" anywhere, does that give a lokal the right to

start giggleing amongst them selfs going on about Farang this and Farang that ?

We pay to live in these countrys and should have the rights to be left alone!!!

The attitude of a lokal, "if you dont like it go home"

If i am sitting somewhere minding "my own" anywhere, does that give a lokal the right to

start giggleing amongst them selfs going on about Farang this and Farang that ?

We pay to live in these countrys and should have the rights to be left alone!!!

there is no such right to be not ridiculed ! if you cant take it, tough.

"The guy who looks frightened" ?

People who aren't white scare you?

Some of you guys should probably have stayed home.

and maybe some people should acquire a sense of humour.....whistling.gif

my apologies I didnt insert a smilely to indicate an intended humourous remark...rolleyes.gif

but I figured putting it in inverted comma's and a question mark at the end would suffice and convey the intent of this remark

guess not rolleyes.gif

I shall remember in future to inform you up front and in writing I intend making a humourous remark to one of your posts just so you can prepare yourself and there is no misunderstanding ...wai2.gif

• Like 2

Those of you who're convinced the word is offensive - where did you get this idea from? Did somebody actually tell you it was an offensive term? Or is it based on something like 'A Thai person looked at me funny whilst saying it'?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Trust me, it is offensive. When I first arrived on these shores many years ago it wasn't but it i now due to the riff raff that come here now because of internet brides etc.

Who cares? Na Na Na Na Na. Like a bunch of thin skinned kids. Be a man. Act like a man. Men are not insulted by being called a fareng. It means foreigner. You are a foreigner here. You will never be a Thai. Never. If you devoted your life to reading and writing Thai, became fluent, and got permanent residency, you would still not be a Thai. So, why try to be one? What does it matter if someone calls you a foreigner? Man up. Grow thicker skin. Practice some kind of affirmation, and figure out how to make your heart stronger. But, for Gods sake, please stop bitching about being called a foreigner.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Who cares? Na Na Na Na Na. Like a bunch of thin skinned kids. Be a man. Act like a man. Men are not insulted by being called a fareng. It means foreigner. You are a foreigner here. You will never be a Thai. Never. If you devoted your life to reading and writing Thai, became fluent, and got permanent residency, you would still not be a Thai. So, why try to be one? What does it matter if someone calls you a foreigner? Man up. Grow thicker skin. Practice some kind of affirmation, and figure out how to make your heart stronger. But, for Gods sake, please stop bitching about being called a foreigner.

Spidermike

Works for me. I'm deaf so they can say anything they like. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Spidermike

Works for me. I'm deaf so they can say anything they like. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be deaf in Thailand. No loud music, no soap operas blaring at restaurants, no loud movies in mini vans, no barking dogs, roosters, etc. The noise level here is occasionally grating. But, only occasionally.

I like being called a "Farang" and being a "Farang". Mainly because it has a lot of benefits to it. Many Thais think I am automatically rich, which raises the service level I get, when I go different places and I can take advantage of that.

So they can call me whatever they want really, as long as they believe I am rich because of my skin color :-)

• Like 2

Don't like it at all, it feels like segregation...you are not one of us...you are a stranger.....for the usual polite way, this word isn't and it classifies all of us as strangers, foreigners in their land.

you rent one of them. you are a temporary resident. a foreigner.