Local Amphur demanding 2000 Bahts

Hi guys and Gals, 

Friday August 1st at 5:45am (yup nice time) house was visited by army and 2 police cars after a check (possibly tip off!) of a foreigner living in the house.

OTT I know..for a podgy disabled guy..never been on wrong visa or god/Buddha forbid an overstay! 

The house master who is also chief of the village was called to a meeting today with other village chiefs and who knows else and told to present copy of

blue house book and details of the foreigner, myself (obviously!) and told to pay 2,000 Bahts.

This to me seems to be a bit fishy as should nt we register myself as living at the address on a TM 30 form (the form asked to fill out my details was not TM 30 form). I do accept responsibility for not having filled out the TM 30 form, actually did fill one out but forgot to take it to immigration when we went on a 500KM round trip to Khon Kaen to get my daughters Thai passport.

I know, the fine is technically for the house master and it is for him to inform immigration who is living in his house. But, T.I.T, a fine for a Thai is a fine for a farang! (at least in this case) 

How do I ensure this not underhand going on (i.e corruption)?

If it is what to do (other than non payment!)? anywhere to report it? 

How do I ensure I do not get stung with a second fine when we take the T.M 30 for to immigration? (something we may do in next 24 or 48 hrs and pay fine anyway!)

anyone else had such experience? 

As a side question who and what must I take with me when handing in a filled out TM 30? must I take the house master or can I do it myself? 

TM30 form attached for anyone interested in filling one out and avoiding complications in the future.

Thank you kindly in advance. 

Edited by DerekMarshall

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both you and the housemaster must report and each of you can be fined for not doing so.

you fill out form 28, the housemaster form 30. The housemaster can also be the person renting the place.

If you get a receipt you know everything is above board, if no receipt or if the corect amount is notmentioned it is of course fishy.

• Like 2

Both you and the housemaster must report and each of you can be fined for not doing so.

you fill out form 28, the housemaster form 30. The housemaster can also be the person renting the place.

If you get a receipt you know everything is above board, if no receipt or if the corect amount is notmentioned it is of course fishy.

Thank you Mario,

Can this be done at the local Amphur or MUST be done at Immigration? 

reason I suspect something fishy and a local tip off is the house at end of our street has to report also..and the Foreigner..does not and has never lived there, with the exception of a few weeks holiday 2x a year! (In fact his wife is currently in his country!)

Receipt should state what it is for.

what would happen if I changed dates saying I arrived to live in their house say..today? 

Form TM.28 attached for those that may need to fill one out.

FYI..no immigration in Roi Et..nearest Khon kaen, Udon or Mudhakhan (excuse spelling!) 

Edited by DerekMarshall

Always have a TM30 filled out in my folder of all the other Immigration paperwork..  appear to get asked for it about 1x a year, when doing my 90 day report.. [lived at same address 11 years no idea why they need it every so often? ]

Edit: re next post never seen a TM28......

I have been on my local Amphur Computer since early 2004..  + is where I go to get a Certificate of Residence... they just change the date and print out the Certificate of Residence, add there big red seal stamp and sign it.. easy and free + while you wait...

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

TM 28 must be done at the immigraiton office, but can be done by mail. (Include self addressed stamped envellope)

TM 30 must be done at the immigration office, but if there is no local immigration office can be done at the local police station.

TM 28 must be done at the immigraiton office, but can be done by mail. (Include self addressed stamped envellope)

TM 30 must be done at the immigration office, but if there is no local immigration office can be done at the local police station.

Ultra cool Thank you kindly. By police station do mean police check point box thing on the village main road or else where in nearest town. 

If you have already been doing 90 day reports to immigration you should not need to do a TM28.

Just have your wife or girlfriend do a TM30 keep the receipt for it in case somebody tries to make a problem

If you have already been doing 90 day reports to immigration you should not need to do a TM28.

Just have your wife or girlfriend do a TM30 keep the receipt for it in case somebody tries to make a problem

Oddly never had to a 90 day report as of yet. I will have to soon. 

Incidental, help for myself and others, what documents are required for the TM30 and TM 28? (other than the forms filled out correctly) 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by DerekMarshall

hmm then when you go ask for proof of address they refuse to acknowledge that they have anything there confirming your address.

hmm then when you go ask for proof of address they refuse to acknowledge that they have anything there confirming your address.

Antifagasto, I complete do not understand your post. What do you mean? 

if you fill out your arrival card with the address of the house you will be staying in, is there then any need to also do a form 28?

if you fill out your arrival card with the address of the house you will be staying in, is there then any need to also do a form 28?

Damn good question! 

TM28 is a change of address..something I am not doing, my address is as per arrival card. 

I do suspect TM30 will have to be filled out at the local cop shop. 

Damn good question! 

TM28 is a change of address..something I am not doing, my address is as per arrival card. 

I do suspect TM30 will have to be filled out at the local cop shop. 

we take the TM30 to the police

• Like 1

I would say that if you fill in the arrival card and give your address, you have reported your adress to immirgation and no further report is needed.

But the big question is how immigration will regard this.

well we'll do the tm30 in any case and see if they ask for more

I would say that if you fill in the arrival card and give your address, you have reported your adress to immirgation and no further report is needed.

But the big question is how immigration will regard this.

well we'll do the tm30 in any case and see if they ask for more

Way I see it...address has been given via arrivals card. TM 30 by house master will have to be filled out and handed in to Immigration/police station.

And 90 day reporting as per given address.

Way I see it get your TM30´s done. Just visited a French friend - he had the same police and army turning up. He had his paperwork done. We live 30Km apart and are just a series of nothing villages where nothing happens.

Looks like unregistered guests at houses are a target as well as overstayers, visa runners and back to back tourist visas. 

Get your TM 30´s done guys save hassle and 2000 Bahts. 

Just want to warn people that have to extend their visa in Sri Racha.

Sometimes they ask for the TM 30 receipt, even though I go to tell them every 90 days where I live and I've written it on my arrival card.

For them it's nothing more than a tool to generate some extra income, it has no other function in case the farang lives with his Thai wife, because they know your address for years. Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Just want to warn people that have to extend their visa in Sri Racha.

Sometimes they ask for the TM 30 receipt, even though I go to tell them every 90 days where I live and I've written it on my arrival card.

For them it's nothing more than a tool to generate some extra income, it has no other function in case the farang lives with his Thai wife, because they know your address for years.

Come come, it provides them with yet more paper which can then be shredded and stuffed into cushion covers for the comfort of their officers' bums!biggrin.png

• Like 1

I've never filled out a TM28 and our lass has never filled out a TM30 (as a housemaster) for me living at her house in the last 5 years on my yearly extensions for both retirement & marriage , but with the recent enforcement of existing rules we will be complying from now on. Plus whenever I leave my home province for whatever reason I always carry my passport for my convenience   To me it's no big deal....

Edited by mxyzptlk

From Thai immigration act. in ref to TM 30

"Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1
is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the
Immigration Division"

In reference to TM 28 

"Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival."

From Thai immigration act. in ref to TM 30

"Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the
competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or
hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office
located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.
In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1
is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the
Immigration Division"

In reference to TM 28 

"Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason
that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official
of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival."

looks like its best to fill in both

The only thing I have to worry about out in the sticks are the monks coming around asking for rice or money "for the temple". The last head monk, who seems to have been admonished, had a car and all sorts of goodies. 

The lists of reasons these people want money is every growing and gets more ridiculous every day. 

• Like 1

If i stay with gf? Sometimes her condo sometimes mum house do i need to ?

form tm 30 for them and form tm28 for you
im still on TR visa. Is it apply to me?

And then i guess Got to do on ED visa..

Is it any fees for it?

Why do we have to do it if u report ur adress every 90 days. And then when u apply for visa u put ur adress there...