Car body filler

lucifer666

H folks. My queston is how to ask for the above. My missus doesn't know and even my Thai teacher doesn't know. In the UK we would just ask for Davids, Isopon or Upol and know in Aus they call it Bondo. The closest words i have been able to find, seem to refer to a filler thats used for thickening soups ( Cornflour) ETC.

Any ideas ?

I'm pretty sure that someone will come up with the correct term for the car body filler. I've never had the need to use the term/word and the best I can come up with is รถสีโป๊ (rhot see poh), effectively "car repair putty".

I agree with Pla Shado: "สีโป๊วตัวถังรถยนต์ " Reference: http://www.mipathai.com/product-th-211861-995678-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%9B%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%96%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%93%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%87+Mipa+P99+Multi+Star.html

The product description in English is, "Mipa P99 Multi Star is a 2-component polyester filler and finishing putty (universal putty). Used to level irregularities and small excavations during the repair of car bodies, the construction of vehicles and mechanical engineering."

Edited by DavidHouston

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I need some of this stuff - any idea where I can buy some in Khon Kaen. Would the Home stores have it? Big C?

Head out towards the Khon Kaen hotel and there is a car spares shop on the right just before you turn for the hotel. They have plenty in stock.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/11/2014 at 10:30 AM, johng said:

After telling me they didn't have any in the "Hardwarehouse" store

low and behold on a shelf there just 2 meters away I found this.

post-2109-0-13562100-1407727668_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-41669800-1407727671_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-40198700-1407727664_thumb.jp

Yea I get that answer often. Maybe they are practicing their English e.g. "no have."

Next time simply ask for สีโป้ว พลาสติก :smile:

sĕe-bpôh pláat-dtìt (plastic)

I must admit I have no idea what this "-bpôh" stands for.

Second word is just Thai pronounciation of "plastic".

Or take a picture with you (on smartphone) what works in many cases:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=สีโป้ว+พลาสติก&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkm7md5fHWAhUEo48KHTU_CeoQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=783

โป็ is a verb to repair or make up a defficiency in something. I infer from เอาสีโป็ตรงที่เป็นช่องเป็๋นรู ก่อนทาสีเอาปูนโป็รอยที่ชำรุด that สีโป็ is a noun for a coloured filler . In ปูนโป็รอย it appears there is a subject-verb-object saying ‘filler’. Hopefully someone has an opinion on that.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

My dictionary is the 2525 edition and it doesn’t spell it that way.
It does say that โป๊ is spoken meaning เปลื่อย หรือค่อนข้างเปลื่อย So,
แต่งตัวโป๊ someone who is dressed with the intention of showing more of the body than is proper.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am having trouble with โป็ว I googled ยาโป๊ว and got lots of rude cartoons, pictures of food ไชโป็วพัดไข่ , interested demonstations of making a fry-up. to eat with ข้าวต้ม plus of course lots of body putty adverts. 

I was attracted to one picture of a girl scantilly clad sitting on a bed holding. her stomach and thought “ ah แต่งตัวโป๊ “ but the headings were อาหารโป๊ ยาโด๊ป  อาหารรสเด็ด , (it may have been spelt โป๊ว it may have been อาหารโด๊ป , I was in bed on my iPhone so can’t remember)

ไชโป๊ is short for หัวไชโป๊ว I know that because looking for the English of ไชโป๊ produces ‘shovel’!  So pickled white radish, which is often eaten with ข้าวต้ม, I have learnt something now. 

I have come to one conclusion which I would like to verify, that the part of an edible vegitable which is below ground is called หัว and the ‘tops’ naturally is ใบ. หัวผักกาด  could be turnip radish carrot etc. Meanings get very difficult to find when cooks do the defining! 

Edited by tgeezer