Domestic flight: Passport control?

No. You will need to show passport to the airline for the purpose of checking your identity.

But no immigration officer right? Just check in and board correct?

No, no Immigration Officer.

In fact you don't need a passport any official photo ID should suffice, I've used a Thai driving licence for domestic flights.

• Like 2

I just flew back to Chiang Mai from Bangkok with wife & 5 year old daughter (both Filipino) having deposited their passports with visa applications to settle in UK. Their passports will be gone for weeks and I was concerned about flying but decided to wing it (pardon the pun giggle.gif ). At the Thai Lion Air check in desk, the staff checked my passport, no problem, checked my wife's Filipino driver's licence, no problem and looked carefully at the photocopy of our little girl's passport, called her supervisor for clearance and passed us through without comment.... After all the problems I had in Philippines, I stopped carrying my passport there but here, it seems prudent at this time to carry it with you at all times.

My question would be...... Why are you concerned about customs? None of my business of course but if you are concerned about showing up on a database, I suggest for peace of mind that you use surface travel which has a lot less invasive checks....

No. You will need to show passport to the airline for the purpose of checking your identity.

Seems you have a problem with your paper work. I would never ever think about asking in a public forum, whether I need my passport with me or not, when travelling...

Fatfather

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I just flew back to Chiang Mai from Bangkok with wife & 5 year old daughter (both Filipino) having deposited their passports with visa applications to settle in UK. Their passports will be gone for weeks and I was concerned about flying but decided to wing it (pardon the pun alt=giggle.gif> ). At the Thai Lion Air check in desk, the staff checked my passport, no problem, checked my wife's Filipino driver's licence, no problem and looked carefully at the photocopy of our little girl's passport, called her supervisor for clearance and passed us through without comment.... After all the problems I had in Philippines, I stopped carrying my passport there but here, it seems prudent at this time to carry it with you at all times.

My question would be...... Why are you concerned about customs? None of my business of course but if you are concerned about showing up on a database, I suggest for peace of mind that you use surface travel which has a lot less invasive checks....

Sorry Andy, what has customs got to do with it? I take it you mean immigration?

• Like 1

Interesting question - I will try not to jump to conclusions there.... I will simply add one experience...

I took a domestic flight with a change at BKK, then did the same in return (4 flights in total with Thai Airways).

Stupid me left my passport at home and I don't have a Thai Drivers license.

They accepted my Mastercard used to purchase the tickets together with my Australian Drivers License as ID and I had no problem on all 4 flights.

I actually fly with just a photocopy of my passport (it was with my lawyers)... So all I did was visit the Airline manager, asked them to stamp it as proof that I had spoken to them and thats it...

But I think you have other issues... Im not saying you are mental or anything like that... or so lazy to ask the airline themselves... actually.. I forgot what I was going to say... Anyway.. Good Luck :)

Seems you have a problem with your paper work. I would never ever think about asking in a public forum, whether I need my passport with me or not, when travelling...

Fatfather

A bit ridiculous, as people who own this forum coud be grass...

Have boarded domestic using only my Thai DL.

i use my skipper license what make me 18 years older instead of 51 i ma there 69 years old but no problem for flying,

anything with your name and photo is ok for domestic flights, staff anyway dont know all the ID cards what exist worldwide,

never use my passport in thailand, stay home in safe,

You will not go through emigration you will only have your passport checked for ID at checking and you will go though security checks baggage.