Immigration Bureau told to be flexible with 'visa runners'

Pray tell me,

I had predicted this amongst other things. Now would like to know how the -One Foot In The Grave Hardliners are coping with this news. It must be like a bombshell has hit their impetus and calmed the waters far too quickly. How will they now demand respect or irk out more attention to Irritate or vex tv members with their vile scorn.

Feel wonderful .. Thank you Thaivisa for these good tidings and hopefully more to come ...

Power to the People .............

There's a lot of people celebrating 'not much' ATM.

A complete overhaul to the entire 'system' is well and truely needed and long overdue. All visas right across the board.

The man in charge is a micro manager & the system has needed exactly one of these for a long time. Anyone that thinks the old system will return and that will be the end of the story may be in for a rude shock.

A short time ago, in another thread I said that a complete overhaul of all Visas was required & I for one hope the new system is a lot fairer but is also designed to keep the undesirables from conducting business as they were allowed under the old way.

Stand-by for a series of changes and hopefully improvement before you celebrate as it is in the world there is no system anywhere in the world that satisfies everyone.

I think the Generals attention to the current system is a good thing, but probably not for the same reasons some of you think it. The really good news is yet to come. wink.png

Neverdie, I do agree emphatically. However, was truly not trying to imply we revert back to the old system and all rejoice. To be true, was merrily suggesting that more should be done to avoid these frequent shocks sent throughout Thailand directed at Farangs/Tourists and the like. Subsequently, save all this pandemonium that is effecting tourism figures and creating all this negativity.

People readily pouring scorn on others on a daily basis on tv members like teachers and so on, surely doesnt install confidence in any tv members who relay whats been implied or even wrongly endorsed as gospel. You yourself, Ive noticed, hold back now and again to save you getting confrontational which has my respect. Ive held myself back a lot more taking onboard your experiences how to play this game otherwise it gets a little too personal.

ou

Thank you again my friend.

thailand goes thru a long protest, some bombings followed by a military takeover. shocks directed at farangs is not exactly no1 on the priority list.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, Thailand has much on its plate ATM, make no mistake, the General knows how to chew gum and walk at the same time. He has the ability to make things happen, unlike some of those wobbly gum fools that were running around just a few months ago.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it would be quite simple for those to that want to stay long term to just do a police background check and/or get a qualified reference or sponsor locally to vouche for one's character, issue a "green card" and let people work where ever they can get a job and pay taxes. I don't understand why that would be so damn difficult. I just find it so offensive that if you're one of a certain race to can work here. Democracy starts with equality and all people should be recognized as people and not things such as "farang".

Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

The US is not at all difficult, you only need enough paperwork to get into Mexico then you just walk the rest of the way.

Just kidding of course. The real reason the US cannot allow easy legal entry is because of the welfare system, poor people could collect government checks. It is the kind of populist policy that Thailand is trying to avoid now. Here in Thailand there is no system to milk so the rules can be different.

tell that to the thai hospitals that end up treating indigent farangs

... you mean those genuine tourists, that produce accidents and can't provide health insurance from home?

them too

...ok, but beside of the 'genuine tourist', who are a burden to the Thai healthy stem, the other, increasing group of foreigners, blamed by Dr. Nara, are the retirees as is clearly stated in the article from last year August, that you've provided earlier.

He pointed to the significant percentage of foreign retirees, who use the hospitals and can not pay their bills. Larry Cunningham, Australia's honorary consul at that time on Phuket, added the issue of these (retired) foreigners as a growing burden on public hospitals and that it would just not being fair. that those retirees are blocking up the hospitals...

So? I do not see/read any reference to those individuals the original thread is about, and which obviously are the younger visa running long stayers who are not considered to be genuine tourists, no word about those people...I am a bit lost here... what are you trying to proof and are referring to?

you claiming visa runners and overstayers dont have accidents? what I was referring to was the claim made above, to wit: : " Here in Thailand there is no system to milk" and I simply provided evidence of a system that is milked: The health care system.

Edited by AYJAYDEE

There are thousands of retirees in Thailand under 50 with the means to take care of themselves and don't milk the state (not that there is anything to milk) the problem is a lot of these under 50 retirees are criminals....with money but also with a variety of criminal records.

Criminals retire too. Mostly the criminals you are talking about have been criminals in their home countries, probably done some prison time and then decided that Thailand was a nice place to retire too. I'm not guessing here, over the years I have met many individuals that fit this category.

The question is when does a criminal stop being a criminal. And should everyone have an opportunity to put the past behind them ?

Thailand has always been attractive to ex-criminals, none of the normal visas even ask if a applicant has a criminal past and it's possible to get retirement status here without any background checks (unless applying for a O-A visa in your home country) .

I'm all for being tough on crime, and getting rid of people who break the law in Thailand.. but doesn't everyone deserve a second chance in life ?

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.

How about enforcing the schools to adhere to the law and providing work permits instead of keeping teachers semi-illegal.

That would be a good idea if only the process for getting a work permit wasn't so ridiculously complicated and expensive! Maybe an overhaul of the whole system followed by such an enforcement would be a better solution.

If you apply for a job in the USA, the "qualifying" is usually left to the "employer", exceptions being, positions that require government licensing of the profession. Does this hold true in Thailand? What if you have 20 years experience in a field but don't have a paper degree? Honestly, it takes a "teacher" to teach many subjects(such as English) but not necessarily a paper degree. I see this as a problem for many that want to "work" in Thailand - not as a doctor or electrical engineer but just as a jewelry designer, a basic English teacher, a restaurant worker, a sport coach or one of many jobs where an "expat" may want to "work" - just for something to do. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Pray tell me,

I had predicted this amongst other things. Now would like to know how the -One Foot In The Grave Hardliners are coping with this news. It must be like a bombshell has hit their impetus and calmed the waters far too quickly. How will they now demand respect or irk out more attention to Irritate or vex tv members with their vile scorn.

Feel wonderful .. Thank you Thaivisa for these good tidings and hopefully more to come ...

Power to the People .............

There's a lot of people celebrating 'not much' ATM.

A complete overhaul to the entire 'system' is well and truely needed and long overdue. All visas right across the board.

The man in charge is a micro manager & the system has needed exactly one of these for a long time. Anyone that thinks the old system will return and that will be the end of the story may be in for a rude shock.

A short time ago, in another thread I said that a complete overhaul of all Visas was required & I for one hope the new system is a lot fairer but is also designed to keep the undesirables from conducting business as they were allowed under the old way.

Stand-by for a series of changes and hopefully improvement before you celebrate as it is in the world there is no system anywhere in the world that satisfies everyone.

I think the Generals attention to the current system is a good thing, but probably not for the same reasons some of you think it. The really good news is yet to come. wink.png

Neverdie, I do agree emphatically. However, was truly not trying to imply we revert back to the old system and all rejoice. To be true, was merrily suggesting that more should be done to avoid these frequent shocks sent throughout Thailand directed at Farangs/Tourists and the like. Subsequently, save all this pandemonium that is effecting tourism figures and creating all this negativity.

People readily pouring scorn on others on a daily basis on tv members like teachers and so on, surely doesnt install confidence in any tv members who relay whats been implied or even wrongly endorsed as gospel. You yourself, Ive noticed, hold back now and again to save you getting confrontational which has my respect. Ive held myself back a lot more taking onboard your experiences how to play this game otherwise it gets a little too personal.

Thank you again my friend.

Scot,

No problem mate, I'm not singling you out, nor do I feel any resentment towards you but there are certain characters here celebrating something yet they may be in be for a by rude shock once the visa system is overhauled. I'd bet my right nut there will be significant changes coming in the near future, I applaude that.

You are right, a system of certainty is need, a fair system for people doing the right things and a difficult system for the wrongdoers.

A fair system is needed. The system of visa running and allowing anyone to do anything they want isn't in Thailand's best interest & it must be an absolute nightmare for the people running to the border every 10 seconds or how often they do it.

Some of the people here expect unlimited and easy access to the country & that's not reasonable IMO. Thais certainly don't get that O/S. Having said that, the current system across all visa cateogries is adhoc at best and hardly fair to people being subjected to it.

Neverdie, yes it needs a reshuffle with the archaic/antiquated system, regulations and hopefully as you've indicated happens in the not too distant future..... all the best mate and thanks for your comments .....

• Like 1

"So, this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides," he said during his weekly TV programme.

How about enforcing the schools to adhere to the law and providing work permits instead of keeping teachers semi-illegal.

Absolutely correct.

I have been presenting this argument for years concerning the difficulties to obtain a proper visa and then the work permit and then the yearly extension.

The onus is on the Thai companies to first prepare the documentation for the foreign employee and follow up on all aspects of the immigration laws and the labor department rules and regulations.

When it comes right down to it a foreign employee has to adamantly insist, how ever much is required, for the Thai company to do their part first.......and .....the Thai company has to pay for all expenses involved.

That is how it has to be now...more so than ever before.

There are thousands of retirees in Thailand under 50 with the means to take care of themselves and don't milk the state (not that there is anything to milk) the problem is a lot of these under 50 retirees are criminals....with money but also with a variety of criminal records.

Criminals retire too. Mostly the criminals you are talking about have been criminals in their home countries, probably done some prison time and then decided that Thailand was a nice place to retire too. I'm not guessing here, over the years I have met many individuals that fit this category.

The question is when does a criminal stop being a criminal. And should everyone have an opportunity to put the past behind them ?

Thailand has always been attractive to ex-criminals, none of the normal visas even ask if a applicant has a criminal past and it's possible to get retirement status here without any background checks (unless applying for a O-A visa in your home country) .

I'm all for being tough on crime, and getting rid of people who break the law in Thailand.. but doesn't everyone deserve a second chance in life ?

Great statement although your last sentence - I'm all for being tough on crime, and getting rid of people who break the law in Thailand.. but doesn't everyone deserve a second chance in life ?

Not on TV I'm afraid .... this is the free-for-all Circus overrun by self-made Farang/Thaihood ever-so vigilant patronizing/disdainful/sneering/avengful/dispicable/demeaning elderly pensioners on their way out - Clowns

.... cheesy.gif

it'll be the guys without visas that are on their way out

That would be a good idea if only the process for getting a work permit wasn't so ridiculously complicated and expensive! Maybe an overhaul of the whole system followed by such an enforcement would be a better solution.

If you apply for a job in the USA, the "qualifying" is usually left to the "employer", exceptions being, positions that require government licensing of the profession. Does this hold true in Thailand? What if you have 20 years experience in a field but don't have a paper degree? Honestly, it takes a "teacher" to teach many subjects(such as English) but not necessarily a paper degree. I see this as a problem for many that want to "work" in Thailand - not as a doctor or electrical engineer but just as a jewelry designer, a basic English teacher, a restaurant worker, a sport coach or one of many jobs where an "expat" may want to "work" - just for something to do. Anyone have thoughts on this?

a restaurant worker cheesy.gif

How many farang have you seen working in restaurants apart from owning or co owning them? How many farang work in 7/11? Literally all jobs apart from a very few and also companies who have outsourced here are closed to foreigners. It's kind of racist when you think about it, not many countries do this but it is their country and they make the rules

Dear Leader.

Remove the degree requirement for all NES teachers employed as speaking and listening teachers.

Criminal check.

TEFL cert.

Work Permit and extension.

Job done. Beneficial to many speaking and listening TEFL people and Thais.

That is a solution but I doubt we will see it happen.

• Like 1

I think it would be quite simple for those to that want to stay long term to just do a police background check and/or get a qualified reference or sponsor locally to vouche for one's character, issue a "green card" and let people work where ever they can get a job and pay taxes. I don't understand why that would be so damn difficult. I just find it so offensive that if you're one of a certain race to can work here. Democracy starts with equality and all people should be recognized as people and not things such as "farang".

Really? So why you're not allow Thai to go to EU/US without hell of paperwork? Typical western double standards. Democracy is not kind of thing which will work only in one direction.

The US is not at all difficult, you only need enough paperwork to get into Mexico then you just walk the rest of the way.

Just kidding of course. The real reason the US cannot allow easy legal entry is because of the welfare system, poor people could collect government checks. It is the kind of populist policy that Thailand is trying to avoid now. Here in Thailand there is no system to milk so the rules can be different.

... you mean those genuine tourists, that produce accidents and can't provide health insurance from home?

them too

...ok, but beside of the 'genuine tourist', who are a burden to the Thai healthy stem, the other, increasing group of foreigners, blamed by Dr. Nara, are the retirees as is clearly stated in the article from last year August, that you've provided earlier.

He pointed to the significant percentage of foreign retirees, who use the hospitals and can not pay their bills. Larry Cunningham, Australia's honorary consul at that time on Phuket, added the issue of these (retired) foreigners as a growing burden on public hospitals and that it would just not being fair. that those retirees are blocking up the hospitals...

So? I do not see/read any reference to those individuals the original thread is about, and which obviously are the younger visa running long stayers who are not considered to be genuine tourists, no word about those people...I am a bit lost here... what are you trying to proof and are referring to?

you claiming visa runners and overstayers dont have accidents? what I was referring to was the claim made above, to wit: : " Here in Thailand there is no system to milk" and I simply provided evidence of a system that is milked: The health care system.

In my humble understanding, and referring to the article that you provided, the public health system seems to be milked mainly by a majority of 'genuine tourists' without a health insurance, as well as the increasing number of retirees, no one blames overstayers (who are btw. not at all part of the original thread) and visa runners (the original thread is all about) for being a burden to Thailand by milking the public health system!

Anyway, this entire discussion on the visa situation is gone crazy, a fact is that there is no proper visa available to help a growing number of GOOD and contributing people to help them staying legally in Thailand, longer than the max. of 180 days, in a row. That is the main, real issue here and inspecting visa runners more individually will not solve anything. Period!

them too

In my humble understanding, and referring to the article that you provided, the public health system seems to be milked mainly by a majority of 'genuine tourists' without a health insurance, as well as the increasing number of retirees, no one blames overstayers (who are btw. not at all part of the original thread) and visa runners (the original thread is all about) for being a burden to Thailand by milking the public health system!

Anyway, this entire discussion on the visa situation is gone crazy, a fact is that there is no proper visa available to help a growing number of GOOD and contributing people to help them staying legally in Thailand, longer than the max. of 180 days, in a row. That is the main, real issue here and inspecting visa runners more individually will not solve anything. Period!

nowhere did i claim to know which class of farang was milking the system more than any other. I merely pointed out there was a system available for milking. it was you who jumped to conclusions. and does your home country allow just anyone to decide they are good and contributing folks and just come and stay permanently?

Its important for Thailand to improve their English language skills I think even the Thais would agree that. There are hundreds of people with the skills to do that already.. They are the ones who have o visas and are married or retired here. Iam sure a simple addition to the visa rules allowing holders of a O visa to teach would be easy to do.. A Tefle cert would be needed . It would not be enough in itself but a start. Iam sure a lot of married people here with children would teach to supplement their incomes to support their families. The schools want English native speakers .

As for border runners that will still have to stop. But with proof of monies to last the person for their length of stay the problem could be resolved. 65k Thai baht a month the same as retirees should be ok.

Edited by Chicken George
  • Like 2

So, the stupidity of the 'crack down' has become apparrent: pissed of hotelliers and tourist workers, Thai schools, $, and immig coppers absent tips. So now, after months of uncertainty and wasted effort, we will slowly drift back to the former, informal system? Great. Good job.

• Like 1

The only people that would possibly have any statistics on "visa runners" are Immigration. As far as hospitals, banks, police etc are concerned they would just be classed as tourists.

Right, as I mentioned above... entire discussions about recent visa crackdown, new regulations etc...gone crazy.

lets not get too exited about this

what I see happening is a relaxation of the rules regarding teachers, maybe not next week or next month but it will happen

for now we are going to see a lot of people at border crossings saying "I am English teacher" instead of "I am Russian" lol

we have gone from a total disaster and not having enough English teachers to having so many that they won't know what to do with them - you know what happens when supply exceeds demand right ?

keep the feet for dancing

• Like 1

So, the stupidity of the 'crack down' has become apparrent: pissed of hotelliers and tourist workers, Thai schools, $, and immig coppers absent tips. So now, after months of uncertainty and wasted effort, we will slowly drift back to the former, informal system? Great. Good job.

The people at the top making all of these decisions literally have no idea what they are doing, anybody with a logical and functioning brain could see the results of the rules and reinforced laws that were put in place. It begs belief how they even got to their positions in the first place

if you are a teacher then relax - if you are not then you are still shafted

• Like 1

The people at the top making all of these decisions literally have no idea what they are doing, anybody with a logical and functioning brain could see the results of the rules and reinforced laws that were put in place. It begs belief how they even got to their positions in the first place

UNTIL THE NEXT ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IS cheesy.gif

A large number of those non-WP teachers that did not leave because of the enforcement of the rules, are probably in a situation where they overstayed their 30 days (at least half of those that remain) which means that they are still at risk when visiting the immigration office and not the airport. So this "relaxation" is too little too late for them.

They should create a fast-track low cost (lower salary standards) for positions like English teachers where they are in short supply.

Edited by cacruden

A large number of those non-WP teachers that did not leave because of the enforcement of the rules, are probably in a situation where they overstayed their 30 days (at least half of those that remain) which means that they are still at risk when visiting the immigration office and not the airport. So this "relaxation" is too little too late for them.

They should create a fast-track low cost (lower salary standards) for positions like English teachers where they are in short supply.

So you think its a case of ......

They're coming to take you away ha'ha - ho'ho - hee'hee .. BS ..

HOW CAN U MAKE THIS ASSUMPTION ..Surely, immigration would have these figures mate .... can't guess .......and if this was the case we would have all heard about this through the grapevine .........

Edited by ScotBkk

I thought about teaching English on Thailand but I realize these people are regarded as trash like prostitutes or drug dealers, bar flies and beach bums who are the real visa runners.I have a degree in English and a native speaker. Why don't they bring in Ordinary visa for any purpose lime Cambodia?

• Like 1

Not a teacher, quite the opposite I study Thai. I'm leaving this place in a couple of months anyway considering how things have become, there's better places close by