Debt payment suspension for teachers to help ease financial burden

Lite Beer

...populism, so reviled by TVF posters, alive and well in Thailand. Indeed thriving. Rubber subsidy, now the teachers in debt. Who is next?

Has the military proposed this or was it the Ministry of Education who are not as far as I am aware running the country?

Simple question for you and an easy yes/no answer.

...populism, so reviled by TVF posters, alive and well in Thailand. Indeed thriving. Rubber subsidy, now the teachers in debt. Who is next?

Hate to break the news to you but there is a huge difference between the populism practiced by the PTP that in the end wound up hurting people.

The populist policies under the NCPO are to help people.

Sorry if it means the government money stops pouring into certain pockets of corrupt businessmen from out side Thailand in addition to the corrupt politicians and Thai businesses.

• Like 1

Another failed 'reform'... the MoE needs to be closed, send all kids home as its wasted time!

In the meantime the teachers can keep on keeping what they do best: spending money to live a pseudo posh thai lifestyle and block another Thai generation from being 'educated'; what a farce, poor kids!

ASEAN will kick you a...

You are aware that there is help in Thailand for the mentally sick.

It hasn't been implemented yet and you claim it has failed. Fact is it might not come to pass.

I nominate your post for the most Thai biased post of the year.

Yes I know I run the risk of having this deleted but it is in reply to a post that should never be allowed in the first place. I am happy with it as It is.

I have been Teaching English now for about 1 Year in Thailand, I am now also Teaching the Teachers! as of last week, Every day I become more bemused by the Thai Education System, They have Meeting almost every day, about what I have no Idea, not in there own time but in School Time, just send the Students home or let them go eat, or sit in classroom, does not matter, we must have meeting! Amazing Thailand!!

We also have a Chinese Teacher, trying to teach Chinese, For What! I am also teaching her English as with the "Thai English Teachers" who cannot hold a conversation in English.

Well there is a lot of truth in what you are saying but this proposal is to help end the problem not discuss it.

One of the proposals that I liked is to have the school hours shortened as it seems to me they spend a lot of time in school now.

I also think that they should take a good look at the English teachers as you say their are ones who can barley speak it them selves. Also weigh it's importance in the future use of all the students against the importance of mathematics. Way out of proportion. Believe it or not most of the students will never need to know it. Also a little bit of world history would be of use. They have no clue as to the atrocities brought on by Hitler and in some schools at least here in Chiang Mai have been known to honor the Nazi's. Not 1,000% sure but I believe they were using Hitler in Bangkok to sell chicken.

A little knowledge of the outer world will serve most of them better than English. In my opinion. For the small percent (at a guess 10%) that go into business it will be an even greater help in understanding English.

Just my opinions.

• Like 2

I have been Teaching English now for about 1 Year in Thailand, I am now also Teaching the Teachers! as of last week, Every day I become more bemused by the Thai Education System, They have Meeting almost every day, about what I have no Idea, not in there own time but in School Time, just send the Students home or let them go eat, or sit in classroom, does not matter, we must have meeting! Amazing Thailand!!

We also have a Chinese Teacher, trying to teach Chinese, For What! I am also teaching her English as with the "Thai English Teachers" who cannot hold a conversation in English.

Sounds like another EFL teacher, working in a govt. school for 35k a month, who thinks they are some kinda foreign expert.

You will have absolutely no effect on the Thai education system. Chill out and enjoy your time here - forget trying to teach them. Enjoy all the free time. There is a philosophy, mainly by Chinese Thais. to keep the kids ignorant I taught for over a decade and it took years to understand the system. Teachers supplement their income with their weekend and evening tutoring. If they taught them during the day/week, they would lose money.

What's wrong with learning Chinese? I hope you don't teach geography.

You Really need to stop Drinking, or get a real Life,

Geez! another long term(?) visitor who believes he has all the answers for everyone. The problem is, you have being going backwards since arriving here. Just because you were a loser what makes you think others will follow. Reality check needed matey.

Sounds like another EFL teacher, working in a govt. school for 35k a month, who thinks they are some kinda foreign expert.

You will have absolutely no effect on the Thai education system. Chill out and enjoy your time here - forget trying to teach them. Enjoy all the free time. There is a philosophy, mainly by Chinese Thais. to keep the kids ignorant I taught for over a decade and it took years to understand the system. Teachers supplement their income with their weekend and evening tutoring. If they taught them during the day/week, they would lose money.

Geez! another long term(?) visitor who believes he has all the answers for everyone. The problem is, you have being going backwards since arriving here. Just because you were a loser what makes you think others will follow. Reality check needed matey.

I hope you're not an teacher/TEFLer/'dancing white monkey' - I really haven't a clue what you're going on about.

Are you implying I have the answers?

Are you calling me a loser?

Edited by Neeranam

I hope you're not an teacher/TEFLer/'dancing white monkey' - I really haven't a clue what you're going on about.

Your above comment reinforces my original post, no more needs to be said.

After the now gone threat of visa runners going down in sputtering flames, Thais want good looks not credentials from teachers (as always) and the great junta will bolster the failing system! Great! Now teachers with bank debts can find loan sharks to further the grace period. Brilliant!

We always knew a good looking British idiot was worth more than a Canadian with credentials, so why not make it a law? People could be ranked from 1-10 by looks, and their salaries scaled to their body type. This gets better every day!

Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss...long live the dungta!

Edited by FangFerang

My lady friend near Sisaket who teaches school has a master's degree. She teaches math, science and English in a village school for $30K pm. She also has some administrative duties I'm not clear about.

She has a new pickup and just bought a new house. She now has the cost of utilities and maintaining a house where before she lived in the dorm at school and went to her parents' home most weekends. She did get a bed somewhere but she has no curtains or furniture.

She gives her parents money every month, which they need.

I don't know how she's going to make it. I'm not going to pay a dime of it and I warned her about it from the beginning.

In our village a family of teachers (hubby and wife) just build another house which is the largest house in our village and they now expand it to build a second building to it. Price 3.5 million Baht plus they have a pickup and a new Vios and they are almost 50 years.

Those people should not be helped by tax payers money.

Edited by MobileContent
  • Like 2

I have some sympathy for your view but you've missed out the farmers. Of course none of this is due to an election so it's not quite the same.

I believe the "Teachers" are paid exactly what they are worth, very little! but they are part of the failed education system, needs reform badly, then get better Teachers and then pay them accordingly.

Then in say 5 Years we may have some well educated kids, maybe!

Well who cares about privat dept of teachers??

why they spend more then they earn??

thats a thai problem all everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The dept of thais is incredible high and a big problem for stable economy within the country!

Sure, pay more to teachers so they dont have to ask the parents for money to give better marks for the children to pass the class!!!!!!!!

Corruption?? Oh nooooooo!!!!!!!

But only pay more for teachers how are able to teach and not just find the easiest way to spend their time and waste time of pupils! They learn nothhing!

Ups i forget: they should stay stupid as non educated people are soooo more easy to manipulate!!!!!

I believe the "Teachers" are paid exactly what they are worth, very little! but they are part of the failed education system, needs reform badly, then get better Teachers and then pay them accordingly.

Wrong my friend.

Fully qualified Govt teacher 15 years’ service gets around 32K, if they kiss the directors a**e enough, they get 2 X 4% rise pre year plus all the other perks.

Out a 32K she took home 12K rest was paying debts. new car, etc, etc, etc.

Was married to one.

Your above comment reinforces my original post, no more needs to be said.

If you don't want to clarify that's fair enough but tell me why do you think I'm a visitor?

Are you an English teacher? Nothing to be ashamed about, I was one for 13 years here.

Wrong my friend.

Fully qualified Govt teacher 15 years’ service gets around 32K, if they kiss the directors a**e enough, they get 2 X 4% rise pre year plus all the other perks.

Out a 32K she took home 12K rest was paying debts. new car, etc, etc, etc.

Was married to one.

Have not met any teacher making 32k, but did know one who was looking forward to a raise to 27k. We have a friend who blogs to the teachers about the latest perks for them.