Motobike import from Cambodia

kuhler

Dear Sir,

I´m German and live in Cambodia and want moving to thailand, with all household things.

I have one big bike (Harley Davidson) there and want it take with to thailand (old good onesmile.png)

Is this possible and if yes what I have to do and how much cost this tax or other Money?

Thank you very much...

Dear Sir,

I´m German and live in Cambodia and want moving to thailand, with all household things.

I have one big bike (Harley Davidson) there and want it take with to thailand (old good onesmile.png)

Is this possible and if yes what I have to do and how much cost this tax or other Money?

Thank you very much...

Kuhler,

Ive written this before with a few troll posts that followed however when I moved here I had two motorcycles at home, one which was a 748. When I looked to import it here I found that I would be taxed 210% or there abouts of the bikes buy price or what Thailand believed it to cost. This would explain the high price of some bikes here. If I was to bring it in as parts there was a 35% tax but bringing a complete bike in as parts and assembling it is illegal so you may have to pay a high tax or sell it and look for another..

I sold mine and found a bike in country that was in good nic.

Maybe Asean market coming next year will make things easier, especially since your bike is in Cambodia. Does anybody have insight?

I was thinking the same. Crystal balling I am thinking there will be some law they can manipulate to make it hard for importers.

You could get a border pass for your bike I think it allows 3 months in country and then the bike has to leave the country or maybe an extension. I am not sure of the correct terminology but knew a Canadian guy here in CM who brought his Beemer in as he was riding around SE ASIA

• Like 1

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much...

Kuhler,

Ive written this before with a few troll posts that followed however when I moved here I had two motorcycles at home, one which was a 748. When I looked to import it here I found that I would be taxed 210% or there abouts of the bikes buy price or what Thailand believed it to cost. This would explain the high price of some bikes here. If I was to bring it in as parts there was a 35% tax but bringing a complete bike in as parts and assembling it is illegal so you may have to pay a high tax or sell it and look for another..

The OP has a used bike and the new rules say that it's not legal to import so end of discussion as per forum rules. If this has changed that would be great¡

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much...

Kuhler,

The OP has a used bike and the new rules say that it's not legal to import so end of discussion as per forum rules. If this has changed that would be great¡

Yankee,

Didnt realise there were new rules.. For my understanding, do you have a link to these new rules for all to read?

I imagine if you post a link to the Thai Import rules that have been updated you will get your wish and the topic can be closed with reference material available for future reference.

But OP is moving his complete houshold to Thailand. If he is changing his place of living to Thailand officially (for example because of work here) he is allowed to take his household with him (usually 1 TV, 1 Radio, 1 Fridge, ...). Maybe this includes one car/motorbike? In some countries it does. Nonetheless it would be very difficult i guess.

It is possible.. I have my cambodian registered KTM right outside my door..

You get a temporary import contract.. This will give you (usually) 30 days, tho sometimes they will give 60 days, temporary import.. You then go along to customs each month (or 2 months if they are easy) and extend this, up to a period of 6 months. You cannot be over 6 months, at this point you owe huge taxes and the vehicle can be confiscated.

You then take the bike to the border, visa run it, and rinse and repeat..

If you fail to extend your customs document you face a fine of 1000 baht per day to a max fine of 10k baht, at export time. Up until earlier this year it was 2k max fine every 6 months.

I know people with bikes like this for years, Probably 10 people I know have overseas bikes long term on this system.. I also know someone with a ferrari here like this.. I myself am going to bring in a high end merc next year this way. .20k a year in fines for overstay v a car costing 3 mil or more uin the case of the AMG I am looking for.

"You get a temporary import contract."

Where can I get this Import contract?

thanks for information...

Here ya go, its right there at the top

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=temporary+import+contract+thailand+motorbike

In case you could not find it....

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

Edited by pokerkid
  • Like 1

But OP is moving his complete houshold to Thailand. If he is changing his place of living to Thailand officially (for example because of work here) he is allowed to take his household with him (usually 1 TV, 1 Radio, 1 Fridge, ...). Maybe this includes one car/motorbike? In some countries it does. Nonetheless it would be very difficult i guess.

Motor vehicles are specifically excluded from the duty free import of household goods:

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief.

The emphasis with bold font is mine.

Sophon

• Like 1

Not possible, except for my Thai friends who run a business importing HD's from the US to Thailand. In fact they're hoping I can begin to source some bikes for them here. Tax is on engine size, not age.

Yes it can be done, it's a headache unless you know what you are doing.

Hello, this should be the rigth link what is to do for import a used Motobike to thailand:

• Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles
  • An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.
  • In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.

Documents

(1) General Documentation:

• An Import Goods Declaration and 3 duplicates;
  • A Bill of Lading or Air Waybill;
  • Proof of vehicle purchase (if any);
  • A Release Order (Kor Sor Kor 100/1);
  • An insurance premium invoice; and
  • Other relevant documents (if any) e.g. a power of attorney.

(2) Additional Documentation for the used/secondhand personal vehicles:

• A House Certificate and an Identification Card;
  • A passport in case of changing residence;
  • A Vehicle Registration Certificate indicating that the imported vehicle was used abroad;
  • An import permit from the Foreign Trade Department of the Ministry of Commerce

• Like 1