Tough new crackdown on alcohol promotions in Thailand

george

I challenge anyone who promotes the use of alcohol to walk in my shoes This includes seeing my own life family wrecked due to it. Sure some good times were had and alcohol can be fun if you are one of the lucky ones.

Alcohol is evil in this country - I've been going weekly to the biggest alcohol rehab in the country for more than 10 years to try help others and could write a book about all the misery I've seen.

if you can't do without alcohol 24 hours a day or think promoting such a substance is morally correct, take a good look at yourself.

Do you have any idea how many people in this country are killed because of alcohol every day? Take a guess.

That's because some people are weak and it ain't my problem. Cheers!

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't crack down on Lao Khao, they're whistling in the wind.....

correct.

the new law is totally over the top, and it won't curb alcoholism, because they mostly drink the cheap illegal stuff anyway.

I expect them to backpedal on this.

Let's hope we don't see more of such nanny state laws.

Where in the OP does it say it is a new law? Opinion comes from Chiang Mai. If the tambon Phoo Yai where I live makes a statement is that to be taken as law for all of Thailand?

So no drinking after midnight. When can we start again 00:30, 01:00, 04:00, 06:00 or is it a full ban meaning no alcohol at all ever after midnight making it a dry country.

Whoever thought this up must have imbibed a bit too much before writing it all down as it's obvious he/she wasn't thinking clearly.

the new law is totally over the top, and it won't curb alcoholism, because they mostly drink the cheap illegal stuff anyway.

Where in the OP does it say it is a new law? Opinion comes from Chiang Mai. If the tambon Phoo Yai where I live makes a statement is that to be taken as law for all of Thailand?

CHIANG MAI: -- The Government has warned that it intends to enforce harsh measures regulating the advertising and promotion of alcohol, in a move that will affect thousands of businesses throughout the country.

1- How can the government intend to enforce something that isn't a law? "immediate enforcement"

2- "throughout the country" ... Thailand, right?

... maybe 3- is the article actually disseminating false information, intentionally, to be a click baiter?

is the OP in breach of forum rules? or are you?

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, [...]

h90 said:

yes, now it isn't political correct to blame people:

They are fat not because of they eat too much....they are addicted to sugar and fat.

They can't stop smoking because of addiction while for our grandfathers smoking was just a bad habit and they could stopped if they had a reason.

They loose all their money because they are addicted to gambling or shopping....

It is time to grow up an be responsible yourself. There aren't enough nannies to have one sit beside everyone.

Except of course you can never be quite sure can you - why a person suffers the health problems they do.

Best then to resort to blaming them all on some moral failing which, like their health problems, you have no sure knowledge of.

In my youth I enjoyed the fitness level of a professional cyclist but in my 30s suffered a debilitating lung disease that left me unable to climb a flight of stairs. My recover to good health entirely the result of medical intervention.

Losing my health, and fitness level few ever achieve, was not a good experience but it taught me a very good lesson about health - a lesson punched home every time some idiot thought they had the right, the knowledge, understanding and moral high ground to lecture me on how I needed to eat less, and get more exercise.

Every single one of us can loose their health in a matter of days through an accident, disease or matters beyond their control - Think about it.

I will, over a cold LEO.

...CHIANG MAI: -- The Government has warned that it intends to enforce harsh measures regulating the advertising and promotion of alcohol, in a move that will affect thousands of businesses throughout the country.

1- How can the government intend to enforce something that isn't a law? "immediate enforcement"

2- "throughout the country" ... Thailand, right?

... maybe 3- is the article actually disseminating false information, intentionally, to be a click baiter?

is the OP in breach of forum rules? or are you?

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, [...]

Will accept that , but do we look to Chaing Mai for the seat of law now?

if they could do this around songkran, and keep the death toll down, it might make sense.

meanwhile, can we start a relief fund for the unemployed beer girls, what could we call it ? ......

is this still the country, where there are whiskey motosai drivers on every corner, after it gets dark ?

wow, over 400 responses in 20 hours. It's clear what Thaivisaites' priorities are.

FREEDOM (what Thai means) We had these type of laws in the UK until fairly recently, stemming from WW1 aimed (pun intended ) at getting the munitions workers into work sober. We used to have people queing at the door for opening time (7 pm ), then throwing as much down their neck as possible before last orders ( 10:30 pm ). Now the pub industry is on its knees because of the availability of cheap booze from the supermarket. The law says "it is illegal to sell alcohol to a drunk" so don't.

As others have said, it won't matter a jot outside the metropolises. Here, people NEED lao khao at 5 am and I will drink what I want, when I want, but not necessarily where I want. Cheers.

Well, boo-hoo.

Whoever thought a military solution to the country's political differences wouldn't lead to this sort of thing was an idiot.

Get ready.

There's a lot more of this coming.

Not all military governments are the same, regarding things like attitude towards alcohol sales and consumption. I remember that in Thailand the military government in power back in the early 1990's didn't impose any restrictions on alcohol. Correct me if I am wrong.

And, for example, the 2 am nightlife-venues-curfew thing in Thailand was started in the late 1990's by a civilian government. Again, correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by JemJem

For a few years I gave up drinking. Mostly for health and my crazy work hours. During that time I still went out to bars and clubs with my friends, someone had to drive home and I was happy to help out and keep everyone safe and out of jail. I enjoyed going out even though I was not drinking. It is possible to have fun and not be drunk.

I will say however that there were times that I was tempted to drink. Too many people who I would see while out would offer me a drink and many pushed the issue... Also, advertising did have a slight effect. I started drinking again after a change of jobs but always remembered my experience as it was a positive thing in my life. Go to a bar and spend a few nights not drinking and see what alcohol does to some people. It is night and day....

My point is that people and advertising can have an affect on the consumption of alcohol. Also alcohol does create problems and alters people's personalities.

If you want to continue having fun after the bars are closed have fun... Are you so boring and dependent on alcohol for fun that without it you can not enjoy yourself ?

• Like 1

George has a hit here with a thread with +430 replies overnight.

One would almost think that there are a few alcoholics among TV members biggrin.png

But many more freedom minded people that enjoy a perfectly legal, social and civilised activity. Don't confuse the anti social minority with the majority, that don't have a "drink problem".

Look on the positive side of a midnight closing time.

*Your date is not tired and is ready for more action.

*You don't wake up wondering "what the hell was I thinking" and hoping to not have to look directly and talk to your nights conquest.

*You save tons of money.

*You wake up early and not hungover.

* etc

A good friend works for Diageo putting together launch events in bars, discos and hotels around and about. I guess she will be NOT be out of a job then.

Tax the stuff by alchohol content and this whole discussion becomes moot. Whisky would become too expensive and everyone would drink beer and wine. Problem solved.

How would this solve a problem of too much alcohol consumption? So the poor could now buy 12 bottles of more expensive beer instead of a cheap bottle of Thai whiskey to chase a high? You don't think it happens just look at alcoholic farangs consuming beer 12 or 18 bottles in a night. The only way to lessen alcohol consumption is through education and restricted supply. Nothing else has worked anywhere.

Thailand has a serious alcholism problem and if it means restricting supply to help solve it I will gladly go out earlier and put up with some of these barriers.

Edited by losworld
  • Like 1

If this is real, - and I do not think it is, - it would be near impossible to enforce.

Has this been officially announced to the Thai Nation as being law for sure? Nope.

'Amazing Thailand'.

Gone are the 'days of the wild wild east'?. Nope, I do not think so.

Too many $$$ at stake.

If you want to be upset with someone for the alcohol laws enforcement and closing times, be upset with the people who drink and drive, people who get into bar fights, corrupt officials who let bars stay open after closing hours, people who sell alcohol to minors, people who sell to people who are already drunk, etc etc ....

Look at yourself, Maybe you are part of the problem.

If everyone acted responsibly we would not be seeing these enforcements.

The people that I feel sorry for are Thai Visa readers with high blood pressure. Every time a low level local official says something, authorized or not, the sky is falling crowd goes up against aging ban all noise group. We need to wait a few more minutes or hours for the "clarification" or retraction. Again, a junior official in Chiang Mai does NOT frame national policy. Ever!

Someone suggested consolidation of the three nightlife tourist areas in Bangkok to Bang Na. My friend Ralf came up with the idea to use the empty Makkasan City Air Terminal. Plenty of room to roll in Nana, Soi Cowboy and Patpong. Parking and mass transit available. Just saying...

To be honest if the journalists did a half way decent job and asked the bloke "are u for real?", none of these stories would get printed.

Thailand might actually look quite sensible and boring then because the papers wouldn't be filled with the latest crack down whim of some dimwit seargent somchai.

• Like 2

If this is real, - and I do not think it is, - it would be near impossible to enforce.

Has this been officially announced to the Thai Nation as being law for sure? Nope.

'Amazing Thailand'.

Gone are the 'days of the wild wild east'?. Nope, I do not think so.

Too many $$$ at stake.

Closing times are one thing, but the small stuff is really a case of who cares.

Ashtrays are going to make u drink more. Why does he care that someone promotes one brand over another. I really wonder what these idiots do behind a desk all day because they really get confused with cause and effect sometimes.

Why is buying one beer over another dangerous to alcohol consumption? Why does a branded ashtray or glass make me drink more? Its 8 year old logic

Does this mean that marketing and promotions departments of the beer companies will cease to exist?

If an establishment is not allowed to have logos on posters, glasses, ashtrays, shirts, beer girl uniforms, etc there really is no point in having these marketing and promotions employees around.

I can't imagine the big beer companies are too happy about this.

A good friend works for Diageo putting together launch events in bars, discos and hotels around and about. I guess she will be NOT be out of a job then.

Tax the stuff by alchohol content and this whole discussion becomes moot. Whisky would become too expensive and everyone would drink beer and wine. Problem solved.

How would this solve a problem of too much alcohol consumption? So the poor could now buy 12 bottles of more expensive beer instead of a cheap bottle of Thai whiskey to chase a high? You don't think it happens just look at alcoholic farangs consuming beer 12 or 18 bottles in a night. The only way to lessen alcohol consumption is through education and restricted supply. Nothing else has worked anywhere.

Thailand has a serious alcholism problem and if it means restricting supply to help solve it I will gladly go out earlier and put up with some of these barriers.

Prohibition in USA was effectively a restriction of supply. Unfortunatly trying to restrict a product that can easily be made at home or smuggled in at a price will never work. Applaud a bit of control but if it gets too excessive the "gangsters" will win out.

Does this mean that marketing and promotions departments of the beer companies will cease to exist?

If an establishment is not allowed to have logos on posters, glasses, ashtrays, shirts, beer girl uniforms, etc there really is no point in having these marketing and promotions employees around.

Just wait if beer consumption went down and the tac take dropped.

Then the bloody finance ministry would be hopping up and down. Until they start to tax all this stuff on alcohol content it shows that no one gives a shit how much alcohol is consumed in the country, how healthy anyone is, how many deaths are on the road or any other political issue.

Crackdown on ashtrays and glasses while scotch is cheaper than wine. Dumabass craziness.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

What a rubbish. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Motorbikes, cars, airplanes, electric saws, guns, knives also cause allot of deaths each year, maybe they should all be banned in Thailand too ? About time my ass, what a ridiculous opinion. Just cause you don't drink, I guess nobody else can have fun.

About time, alcohol causes more deaths than illegal drugs and legal drugs like cigarettes which have warnings already.

What a rubbish. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Motorbikes, cars, airplanes, electric saws, guns, knives also cause allot of deaths each year, maybe they should all be banned in Thailand too ? About time my ass, what a ridiculous opinion. Just cause you don't drink, I guess nobody else can have fun.

I believe his previous posts suggested he used to drink a lot and it ruined his life. I take his posts as a bit of a life lesson. Had wonderfull evenings fuelled up on drink, good mates, good talk. To suggest a person who doesn't drink anymore for his own personal reasons is a party pooper is extremely crass.

Still nothing in the BKK Post about this. My guess is that this is the brainchild of some local CM warlord feeling his oats. Either that or a trial balloon to gauge the uproar if this asinine idea was actually implemented.

It really is too absurd to give much credence. We'll see.

• Like 1

Just wait if beer consumption went down and the tac take dropped.

Then the bloody finance ministry would be hopping up and down. Until they start to tax all this stuff on alcohol content it shows that no one gives a shit how much alcohol is consumed in the country, how healthy anyone is, how many deaths are on the road or any other political issue.

Crackdown on ashtrays and glasses while scotch is cheaper than wine. Dumabass craziness.

I think Thailand has been taxing on alcohol content ever since. Last year the tax went up from 100 Baht to 1000 Baht per liter of pure alcohol content.

By the way your example of Scotch being cheaper than wine also doesn't hold any ground, since wine valued under 600 Baht a bottle isn't taxed at all, while this rule doesn't apply for beer and spirits.