5 NIX LINK5 1000 Mbps Fiber Thailand up

total 1.4 Gbps

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CMT -- You can view the details of the CSLoxinfo deal at

http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/adsl.asp

but basically it's unlimited 256/128 Kbps international for 6000B/month. I don't know anyone who has it in Chiang Mai but I'm tempted simply because CSL has always been straight with me, always provided fairly decent service. In fact, comparing notes with friends, it seems Chiang Mai's CSL office is more responsive than BKK's.

Don't know if those speeds are consistent, guess that's the question, isn't it? Hey you try it first!

If you live in Bangkok, CSL is offering a promotional rate of just 3600B/month unlimited 256/128 Kbps ADSL.

CMT -- You can view the details of the CSLoxinfo deal at

http://www.csloxinfo.com/broadband/adsl.asp

but basically it's unlimited 256/128 Kbps international for 6000B/month. I don't know anyone who has it in Chiang Mai but I'm tempted simply because CSL has always been straight with me, always provided fairly decent service. In fact, comparing notes with friends, it seems Chiang Mai's CSL office is more responsive than BKK's.

Don't know if those speeds are consistent, guess that's the question, isn't it? Hey you try it first!

If you live in Bangkok, CSL is offering a promotional rate of just 3600B/month unlimited 256/128 Kbps ADSL.

For 6,000 Baht a month it better ###### well give you 128Kbps as an absolute minimum. I'd check into Asia Net too. I believe they had a cheaper deal for those speeds. The thing is, when TSpeed actually works, you get in the mid 100's. If they get it to work all the time, that would make this Csloxinfo deal look ridiculous. But who knows when they might get it to work consistently. CMInterent was always in the mid 100's except between noon and 5 or 6.

The real question is whether this Loxinfo deal really gives you what they say. And I'm not going to be the guinea pig on this one. Even if they do offer consistent 128- 256K, 6,000 seems pretty pricy. For another 7,000 you can get 1000k from Asia Net...

Date: 23/05/04 Time: 10:13

LINK SPEED TYPE DESTINATION STATUS

IIG 155 Mbps Fiber USA UP

This is a bit misleading. IIG is CAT's international gateway in Thailand. Some of the circuits from the gateway go directly to countries around Asia (one of IIG's few advantages) and others to the USA. But it isn't just a single link to the US.

On another note, I've been talking to the Hi-Net engineer in Bangkok and he says that they minimize their international bandwith. 80% is devoted to local use and only 20% to International. No wonder p2p networks and other international web necessities are so sluggish. I asked him to increase the International bandwith and he said he would, but when I talked to him a few days later he said he hasn't done it yet.

This capping of international bandwidth for ADSL seems to be common among ISPs (they also do it with some leased line services) as a way to keep prices down in line with the government's scheme for cheap broadband. As such it is built into their costing model for each service and I seriously doubt an engineer would have the authority to change it. So, don't hold your breath.

There is litlle competition in the International bandwidth, which make it expensive.

That's why you can have fast local access ... and "slow" international access.

Exactly. Costly bandwidth because there is no competition and CAT overcharges for the half-circuit charge. Also, the market is far larger in Japan and Korea, and there is a smaller requirement for international bandwidth because they have good local content - games being a good example.

ADSL can't work here for the following reasons:

- They don't have the physical infrastructure (telco + network backbone is trash)

- They don't have the ISP infrastructure (most ISP don't have the know-how and technicall skills to run and watch a user network)

Some don't, but the big ones do. But the ADSL problems mentioned in this forum don't seem to relate to technical problems at the ISP end. They seem to be problems with the telephone company, problems with the ADSL carrier, and slow speed caused by the service model (contention ratio, int'l bandwidth capping) that ISPs are forced to adopt to keep prices down.

CMInternet is just a re-seller for KSC, so I wouldn't expect to get a coherent story from them. The HiNet service seems to be TT&T providing phone lines and ADSL, with CAT providing international bandwidth. And by no stretch of the imagination could CAT be considered a normal ISP.

I think sticking with the big, long-established ISPs - despite the higher prices - is a safer bet for the next year or two. I've never had any problems with Loxinfo or Inet.

- They don't have the physical infrastructure (telco + network backbone is trash)

- They don't have the ISP infrastructure (most ISP don't have the know-how and technicall skills to run and watch a user network)

Some don't, but the big ones do. But the ADSL problems mentioned in this forum don't seem to relate to technical problems at the ISP end. They seem to be problems with the telephone company, problems with the ADSL carrier, and slow speed caused by the service model (contention ratio, int'l bandwidth capping) that ISPs are forced to adopt to keep prices down.

The bigger ISP are better but they are still clueless on how to run "professionally" a network compared to any "small" farang ISP. Again, this is Thailand

Hey BUTTERFLY.

What company provides ISDN? I'm on-line nearly 24 hours a day? Does ISDN have reasonable unlimited hours packages?

I have ISDN from TOT and use LoxInfo. Setup fee was free and ISDN line is only 100 bath per month for subscription. Same as a regular phone line.

Free TOT was offering Free ISDN access for Internet like they do for Dial-up with 1222 but I don't recommend it. Very slow. LoxInfo is expensive but it works.

and slow speed caused by the service model (contention ratio, int'l bandwidth capping) that ISPs are forced to adopt to keep prices down.

A little strange that they don't offer volume based packages. Basically what CSLoxinfo does with IPSTAR and IPTV. In my opinion they should be able to better the satellite deals as I think the overhead on ADSL circuits is way less then renting transponders on satellites!

If they could half the IPTV prices and offer a 1:1 contention ratio (as with IPTV/IPSTAR) on adsl circuits i think this would result in a very competitive deal.

3000 Baht/month for 3Gb downloads at guaranteed speeds of over 200 Kbps would be a fantastic deal at the moment...

I finally have my TT&T 1000B/month "T-Speed" ADSL and I am abolutely amazed at how good it is (for me) so far! The free USB modem they gave didn't work, which was fine as I didn't want to use it anyway. Another 2500B got me a modem/router (from TT&T) which easily connects to a switch or hub allowing multiple access points. Since I've had service (4 days) the DNS server has been down once for a few hours, but otherwise has been reliable. Speeds are staying around 50kb/sec for real world downloads which is fantastic compared to 4kb/sec I was getting with dialup (Loxinfo). I live in Chiang Mai, Tambon Hai Ya (sort of near the airport) and I don't think any of my neighbors have ADSL. If things stay this way I will be oh so happy....

grrr, glad you got hooked up and like it.

I like it more than I don't. The last week has been great for me. I am averaging around 250kbps and it is up most of the time now. It still beats dial-up for the price.

Grrrr.....

Tell me more about the benefits of a modem/router compared to the USB modem that TT&T provides. I have the USB modem and so far its working good. But I'm not reaching speeds of 50 kb/s. More like 30 kb/s. But I am in Phuket. I have my USB modem hooked up to USB hub with a separate power source which is supposedly better.

What do mean about multiple access points?

Thanks for the info.

The router is essential if you want to connect more than one computer to the internet. With a cheap switch (1200B or so) you can very easily make a little home network and have all computers online. You could also very easily set up wireless networking as well, letting you surf the net from anywhere in your house if you had a laptop with wireless card. Other benefits of the router over the USB modem would be no drivers to install on your computer, works with any operating system (Linux, MacOS, etc.) as long as the computer has ethernet port (most new ones do). For the, the USB modem didn't work at all with a windows xp computer, which was fine as I use Linux on my main computer anyway.

But...if your setup is working and you are happy with it and don't need home network/wireless stuff stick with the USB modem!

My speeds have been up and down, but always SO MUCH better than dialup...and at 1000B/month an incredible bargain!

The bigger ISP are better but they are still clueless on how to run "professionally" a network compared to any "small" farang ISP. Again, this is Thailand

Heh heh... It's a LOT easier to run a small farang ISP than a big Thai ISP. It's interesting that when big foreign tech companies moved into the Thai ISP business (Pacific Internet, MIH/MWEB/KSC), they didn't do any better than the locals.

camerata, do you have ADSL with Loxinfo?

No. Since it merged with CS, I'd prefer not to contribute to the coffers of yet another Shin-controlled company. I couldn't help noticing that the chairman of CSLox's board is CEO of Shin Corp - the same guy who helped negotiate the deal with Liverpool FC on behalf of our Dear Leader.

I finally have my TT&T 1000B/month "T-Speed" ADSL and I am abolutely amazed at how good it is (for me) so far! The free USB modem they gave didn't work, which was fine as I didn't want to use it anyway. Another 2500B got me a modem/router (from TT&T) which easily connects to a switch or hub allowing multiple access points. Since I've had service (4 days) the DNS server has been down once for a few hours, but otherwise has been reliable. Speeds are staying around 50kb/sec for real world downloads which is fantastic compared to 4kb/sec I was getting with dialup (Loxinfo). I live in Chiang Mai, Tambon Hai Ya (sort of near the airport) and I don't think any of my neighbors have ADSL. If things stay this way I will be oh so happy....

I think it just depends where you are located. I'm back on Tspeed and usually from 2pm to 6pm its non responsive.

Hello Grrr, just spoke with TT&T people they said I would need to share 2048Kbps with another 50 users in my area. So basicly your speed would depend on how many users are online in your area is it right ?

Hello Grrr, just spoke with TT&T people they said I would need to share 2048Kbps with another 50 users in my area. So basicly your speed would depend on how many users are online in your area is it right ?

yes, that's right, but its not the whole story. 80% of the bandwidth goes to domestic. Great news if you spend all your time on Thai sites. Not so good if you're like the rest of us. During my month of testing TSpeed at all times of day and night, I never got above 250KBps. I have a hard time believing that all times of day and night, 10 other people were downloading. Also, many times of the day it just doesn't work for int sites. If you want to know if the whole system is down or just int sites, go to tttbroadband.com. This is a domestic site. For me, I have about 4 or 5 hours a day when it just doesn't work. I've gone through the bull$shit of having 'engineers' out here and there is nothing they can do. It works when it works...

Yes the 2048kbs is supposedly shared among UP TO 50 other users...so I guess the trick is to live in a "low rent" area where people don't want ADSL! Mine is still working well consistently.

To clarify kpbs and kb/s, with dialup connecting at 50kpbs I was getting download speeds around 3 to 5 KB/S. With my ADSL I'm getting anywhere from 10 to 50 KB/S, mostly 40 to 50 KB/S. Outside Thailand is a little a slower, but really not bad (for me).

For any Linux people (such as myself), linux.thai.net is a domestic linux mirror site which is wonderful as I can download pretty much anything I need...within Thailand!

For any one who wants to check the TT&T ADSL coverage area I found this site

http://www.ttt.co.th/T-speed/index.asp

when I put my Pattaya number in it returned a result !!!

คุณอยู่ในพื้นที่ให้บริการ

โปรดติดต่อ เลขหมายทีทีแอนด์ที *997

Call Center 026932100 ต่อ 1997

Apparently I am now in the coverage area :D

So now a question for people using TSpeed is the monthly charge fully inclusive or do you still have to pay a separate ISP charge ?

http://www.ttt.co.th/T-speed/about_tspeed/...oduct_tzone.htm

seems to sugest it depends on the speed you want as to whether you pay

TT&T + ISP or just the ISP ????? :o

Apparently I am now in the coverage area :D

So now a question for people using TSpeed is the monthly charge fully inclusive or do you still have to pay a separate ISP charge ?

TT&T + ISP or just the ISP ????? :o

Its fully inclusive. 1000 baht a month. It seems to have less down time lately. It beats dial up performance and cost wise, but don't expect true ADSL. that's a few years or a many thousands of baht away.

I signed up too. I asked them how it was possible that I'd get 2mbps unlimited international and domestic for less than it would cost me in the US. They told me that it would really only be this fast at 3 or 4 in the morning. This is because the connection is shared by 50 people. So when less people are on, the connection will be faster. They said in peak times, the worst case scenerio would be 40kbps. Quite a contrast to the super high speeds they are advertising. We'll see how it turns out...

are you sure you're getting dsl? That sounds like a symtom of a cable

Quote..........

"another Thai company that doesn't look after the customer, who's employees have no training in customer service and who's marketing department is publishing blatant lies"

It is sad (so sad) but true that the majority of Thai company's just don't know the meaning of the words "service, honesty, integrity, training etc"

What a wonderful country this would be if they could just get their mentality around some of their deficiencies. They would then have perhaps half a chance of moving out from the 3rd world groupings.

I have read the thread from the beginning and whilst some subscibers seem to be getting reasonable download speeds it is my opinion that there are too many variables involved, i.e. the different ISP's all seem to be performing better (or worse) in the different locations, for an individual to make a considered decision .

I think that I will just get another telephone line (to free up the existing one) and stick with using dial-up and a "always on" provider albeit the speeds are extremely slow.

I can get by on this (I appreciate that others cannot) until there is an efficient (always efficient.......... "pinch me I must be dreaming") service available.

Well...with dialup I was paying around 500B/month in phone charges, and then 700B/month for Loxinfo internet hours. With my ADSL it's 1000B/month (or free...I've not paid anything yet!) and it works well most of the time. Earlier this week it was really slow for about two days (but still faster than dialup) but seems to be back now. Last night I downloaded openoffice.org source code...about 190MB in about an hour. Try that with dialup.

So to sum up my experience so far with this...sure it is inconsistent, but at least for me it is cheaper and infinitely better than dialup and I recommend it to anyone...as long as you don't live near me!

it works well most of the time. Earlier this week it was really slow for about two days (but still faster than dialup) but seems to be back now.

You can tell we've all been here too long when we're relatively satisfied with such performance.

In reply to the question above, its not cable. Its DSL to the extent that it comes in via the phone line through a DSL modem. Little else would lead you to believe that its DSL.

Anyway, it is better than dial up and sometimes you get really excited when you complete a fast download.

Apparently I am now in the coverage area 

TT&T + ISP or just the ISP ????? 

Thanks for the links Johng.

As I am soon to be staying in Pattaya I need to know which areas are covered by ADSL so I can choose a place to stay. Unfortunately I couldn't find any acurate info on this so I decided to type enter some phone numbers from various establishments into the link you provided. I applied the results to a map of Pattaya to get an idea of the coverage. It's by no means complete as I don't have the time to find numbers for every street and soi, and as someone previously said it only works for numbers starting with a 3 or 7. It does however give a rough idea of coverage.

Thought I'd post it here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Green = ADSL

Red = No ADSL

White = No Data

[ADSLpat.JPG

I've been on the TT&T Hi-Net Baht 999 'DSL' deal for the past couple of months in Chiang Mai.

I'm very happy with the speed - regularly get 250 - 270 Kbps. Yes, there is downtime but its still far far better than my old 'dial up' and I get to use my house phone line at the same time!

Big problem is that I can not seem to find the address for the HiNet SMTP outgoing mail server, so can't use this with Outlook Express for sending emails!

Anyone have any ideas of what SMTP mail server can be used and an address or maybe another way round the problem?