cloud based stuff

Showbags

I use Microsoft OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive), free account now gives you 15GB, works well, all machines automagically sync.

I save a document in the office, when I get home it's waiting for me on my desktop (ok when I've turned the machine on and had a beer).

Get it here https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-gb/

I use Dropbox, Mega, Google drive and OneDrive. I have different files on each. People have reported that Google and MS have deleted files that they deemed to violate their terms and conditions. Some legitimate (like copyright infringement) and some seemingly arbitrary - personal photos that MS deemed inappropriate. From personal experience, I shared a pdf of a book I have with a friend on Google Drive, and google deleted it and sent me a message saying it detected that it was a copyrighted file. Luckily I had a backup elsewhere.

I have been using Dropbox for about 5 years and think it is the best in terms of ease of use and features (can roll back to previous versions of docs, a smart syncing algorithm that only syncs the parts of a file that have changed. My last 2 Samsung phones I got 50GB free storage, but that is expiring soon, so it will drop back down to the 5GB free. In that time, my usage has exceeded the free amount.

Dropbox gives you 2GB free and you can get extra space by enabling auto camera upload from your phone (you can disable it once you have got your free space and keep the free space).

Google and OneDrive give you 15GB free and with OneDrive you can get an extra 3GB by enabling auto camera upload on your phone (again, you can disable once you get your free space).

Dropbox and Google Drive are more expensive. I think about $99 for 100GB.

You get 1TB of storage per user on OneDrive with an Office 365 subscription. So, for 365 Home, you get 5 users with 1TB each for $99 per year.

I have an Office 365 university subscription (used my Thai university email address) which is 2100 baht for 1 user for 4 years (525 baht per year)

So, I have just recently migrated almost everything to OneDrive. I still keep some things on Google and some on Mega depending on what the files are and who I'm sharing with/how I'm sharing.

Google drive is good for collaborating in real time - multiple people can edit a doc at the same time and see changes as the other person types in real time.

For most sharing though, I find OneDrive better. Share a word or Excel file in Google and it opens up in Google docs online viewer, which sucks. You can't change the zoom and if you have multiple excel worksheets, you have to scroll through all of them to get to the one you want. When you share a doc with OneDrive, when someone clicks on the link, it opens up in the web version of office and looks exactly like it looks on your PC (tabbed worksheets in Excel, able to zoom in and out etc.)

They all work pretty much the same - you install the client on your computer and then any files you save in that folder automatically sync.

If you are on Win8, then OneDrive is integrated with the OS, so no need to install anything.

With all of them, you can also set up selective sync, so that it only syncs some files from the cloud. I have many files in the cloud, but only certain folders are synced to my laptop. Some files are there as backups/archives (in conjunction with a physical HDD backup at home.

Edited by Riggi
  • Like 2

You can bump up your dropbox to 10GB by recommending friends ( for free )

I never realised that these cloud services checked the contents, I never had problems with dropbox but i also use googledrive for word documents and excel files, and will continue to now i know that google delete your items.

I use dropbox for file sharing which works well and gives me 500mb free every time I invite someone. I use one drive for some files but I needed cheap unlimited storage for memory heavy files so before the storage wars started a few months ago I started using PogoPlug for my videos and photos. $5 a month unlimited storage and I like the interface and app. This price was way below the big competitors at the time. Checkem out https://pogoplug.com

I guess the most of the cloud based filesystems work in the way that you have a directory underneath of your home directy.

For example Dropbox or Google_Drive. Anything what you put to these directories are synced to the cloud service as well. There is no need for extra steps after the software is installed to the computer and the account is created.

I have been using Dropbox for ages. It has been a perfect servant, although it does not offer so much free space as some of the competitors.

I'm actually thinking of buying some extra space to store all my important files to either to Dropbox or Google Drive cloud.

Here is one comparision of the current providers. http://www.cnet.com/news/onedrive-dropbox-google-drive-and-box-which-cloud-storage-service-is-right-for-you/

I am using both OneDrive and Google Drive, for different purposes and different audiences. these cloud storage is ideal if you have couple of work locations.

with a Office 365 subscription, Microsoft offers 1TB per installed users, for maximum of 5 users. recently Microsoft categorise OneDrive into OneDrive Personal, and OneDrive Business. there is a different service level on the paid OneDrive Business.

agree with some arguments above, nothing is free, and you trade off the confidentiality of your own documents. well, your own choice what to be uploaded into the public space.

I had 50gb free dropbpx from my samsung, expiring soon and will drop down to 12gb due to lots of inviting for bonus space.

I already use google apps for email so have signed up for 100gb at drive for $2 per month. 1TB is $10.

What service is best for each person depends on what else you use, google or MS office allegience makes their storage useful. Dropbox is great if the people you know use it or you build up free space.

But as with most things, you get what you pay for. You either pay for storage, pay for services and get storage free or you pay by being the product that is sold to advertisers.

I believe Google drive is by far the cheapest. I pay ~$10 per month for 1 Terra byte of storage. Pictures are free if they are reasonable size.

About a year ago Google slashed it's pricing and I have yet to see others following suit.

I've been using it without any problems. As far as I know they won't delete your files unless someone complains about them.

One poster mentioned deletion of copyrighted material, but I haven't experienced this.

Article from J and S computers

We do love our toys and we certainly can't live without them. But All the Tablets and the Mobile Phones have 1 drawback...storage. Yes they use the new solid state devices which prolongs our battery life and almost completely prevents data loss, but what about our stuff? With the tablets and the phones we only accumulate more of it.. So where do you put it all?
Fortunately I have some good answers. With the app's below you can store well over 1 Terabyte of data on line for free. That's right. Some of these app's like Google Drive and Microsoft’s OneDrive also allow some simple editing (separate app required for Google) and creation of documents on line; some are just folder syncing tools, while others allow you to store your stuff on line so you have access to anywhere anytime. So peruse the app's, sign up for one or all.

If you want to check out all the best Free office app's look here.

Flickr - 1 Terabyte - Yes that's 1 TERABYTE FREE
A while ago, the new Flickr was born. First, the good news: Every free account holder gets one terabyte of storage. That is an insane, historic, vast amount of space. That’s enough room for about 600,000 typical photos, enough to last you the next couple of birthday parties, at least.
That’s 70 times the free space of the next closest competitor, Bitcasa. And those are full resolution photos, too — the originals. Flickr doesn’t compress photos, degrading their quality, the way Facebook and others do. Read the full review here

Bitcasa Free 20 GB Free
Bitcasa is your external hard drive in the cloud that never runs out of space. It works seamlessly with all your devices - your home computer, your work laptop, your phone, and your tablet - so you can access your stuff everywhere. Sending any file, even HUGE files, to friends and family is instant and simple.

Google Drive 15 GB Free
One safe place for all your stuff. Upload photos, videos, documents, and other files that are important to you to Google Drive. Get going with up to 15GB of storage Free. Shared between Google+, Gmail and Google Drive

CX.COM 10 GB Free
Room for everything: Upload all of your files without ever running out of space. Get all the room you need with plans from 10GB to 175GB.
Easily share large files: Take the hassle out of sharing large files. Send links, share on social networks and password protect any file.
Your media comes to life: With support for most types of media, you can easily view, watch and listen to your files. And, best of all, it works great for sharing, too.
Works everywhere: Get to your files through our app's or directly at cx.com. No more cables or thumb drives.

Comodo Cloud 10 GB Free
From the makers of Comodo Firewall: Online Backup fast & easy with the new Comodo Online Storage. You can easily drag and drop files online, synchronize folders, browse/upload/download files via web site, use any program to browse/view/edit files via Online Drive. The web site can be used to upload and download files from any OS including Linux, Mac and others. Here are the most important features we offer: Dropzone. The dropzone is non-intrusive and it appears only when dragging and dropping something. Once the upload is finished, the files are available anywhere where you are connected. Web site application for browsing / uploading / downloading files https://www.ccloud.com. Files and Folders on web site can be shared with other people, even non-COS users by sending them the link. 5GB free accounts. You can sign-up with your email address as user name.

CypherTite 8 GB Free
Cyphertite (32-bit) is your encrypted cloud backup partner, from the individual user to enterprise level companies. It offers 3 types of data plans. A Free Basic account that allows 8 GB of free high security online storage, a Personal account where you pay $10.00 per month for unlimited storage and a Premium account that offers Pay-by-Usage pricing at the rate of $0.10 per GB every month and is ideal for business users. Cyphertite's core code is openly available online, meaning its actions can be independently verified and improved by other participating developers. Open source code allows others to actually verify we encrypt your data as claimed.

Skydrive 15 GB Free
SkyDrive is the place to store your files so you can access them from virtually any device. Windows Phone has built-in access to SkyDrive right from the Office and Pictures hubs. It can also automatically upload pictures that you take to SkyDrive for easy access. Now the SkyDrive app for Windows Phone makes it even easier to manage and share files--all in one place.
Features:
Access all of your SkyDrive content including files shared with you.
View recently used documents.
Upload photos or videos from your phone.
Share your files and photos--send a link in email or get a link you can copy and paste.
Manage your files--move, delete, rename, or create new folders.
Search your SkyDrive files and folders.

MiMedia 7 GB Free
Secure and Enjoy Your Digital Life - Access and Share from Anywhere
Access and enjoy your media on demand
Stream your music from anywhere
View photos in gorgeous high resolution
Play videos instantly on any device
Effortless photo, video, and file sharing
Post to your favorite social networks
MiMedia provides automatic online backup and sync giving you the best of both worlds. Securing files in your online storage account is simple. Then enjoy unparalleled on demand access to your digital life from anywhere. Listen to your music, play videos, view photo galleries, or access any file instantly. Enjoy it all on the go with MiMedia's free mobile app.

From the leader in Free Anti virus comes - AVG LiveKive® 5 GB Free
Automatically backs up and synchronizes all your files from your devices, enabling you to store and share data safely. Think of it as your very own virtual archive.
Automatic backup:
Schedule automatic backups of all your data for complete peace of mind. You can also restore any important files, folders, etc that were accidentally deleted.
Find all your files & folders in one place
Synchronize data from all your PCs and Macs into one safe location for instant, hassle-free access.
Share large files with ease
Share files, folders, photos and music with friends, family, and colleagues via share rooms you can create and monitor with ease.
Stay secure
Rest easy knowing your valuables are kept safe in our secure data centers which are protected with military-grade encryption.
Save time with incremental backups that upload only those documents which have changed.
Information Page: http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-livekive Be sure to scroll down to the 5GB Storage Free Button
Download Now: http://www.avg.com/download-file-stb-obf

iDrive 5 GB Free
Multiple Device Backup: We built IDrive to backup unlimited PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads and Android devices into a single account. In addition, data from mapped drives can also be backed up.
Fast: Incremental and compressed backups will ease your network bandwidth by transferring the modified portions of a file.
Real Time Backup: IDrive automatically recognizes the modified parts of files and backs them up in real-time.
Give and Share anything: Share your files/folders via email, Facebook and Twitter.
Go Mobile: Access backed up files from your PC and Mac; protect your mobile data with our app's for iOS and Android.
Remote Manage: From any browser, you can access your backed up files, manage your backup set and its schedule, and view backup logs.
Retrieve Data: Search and restore files from the desktop application or via any browser; provision to recover deleted files from Trash within a period of 30 days.
True Archiving: No data is deleted from your IDrive online account until you manually delete or run 'Archive Cleanup' to match your computer data to your account.
Super Secure: Transfer and store your files with 256-bit AES encryption using a user-defined key that is not stored anywhere on the servers.
Stay Informed: Activity reports, backup status reports, share reports - all keep you informed.

DropBox 2 GB Free
Wherever you are put your stuff in Dropbox and get to it from your computers, phones, or tablets. Edit docs, automatically add photos, and show off videos from anywhere. Share with confidence, share photos with friends. Work with your team like you're using a single computer. Everything's automatically private, so you control who sees what. Safe and secure, even if your phone goes for a swim, or your computer crashes your stuff is always safe in Dropbox and can be restored in a snap. Dropbox secures your files with AES-256 bit encryption and two-step verification. Dropbox works just like any other folder on your computer, but with a few differences. Any files or folders inside Dropbox will get synchronized to Dropbox's servers and any other computer linked to your account. Green check marks will appear on top of your files to let you know that they're synced and up to date. All data is transferred over SSL and encrypted with AES-256 before storage. Dropbox keeps track of every change made to any of its contents.

SpiderOak 2 GB Free
100% Private Online Backup, Sync & Sharing. Instantly retrieve files from any device, anywhere. SpiderOak Hive is an amazingly easy way to keep all of your files in sync across your computers and mobile devices. Privacy Matters, If privacy matters to you, there is only one choice.
Zero-Knowledge. What does 'Zero-Knowledge' privacy mean? In technical terms it means that the server has 'zero-knowledge' of your data. In non-technical terms it means that your data is 100% private and only readable to you. In a world where more and more of our lives are online, it behooves us to think about who has access to our data from critical business documents to personal photo albums. SpiderOak provides the ability to utilize cloud technologies while retaining that precious right we call privacy.

Mozy Free Backup 2 GB Free - This link takes you to the 2 GB free sign up
Mozy is the industry leader in online backup. By installing this Mozy app, you can securely access all your backed-up files from your iPhone and take your computer with you in your pocket. Read your documents, browse your photographs, play your music and share files anywhere, any time. Features: Browse the original folder hierarchy or search for files in your backup. Use built-in viewers or installed app's to read documents. Browse photos in preview mode and view in hi-res. Share documents and photos by email and publish photos to Facebook. Stream your music files. Protect your data via our app passcode lock.
Backup software
Mozy is known for having the best free backup software in the world! It's automatic, it's simple, it's highly customizable, and it can be scheduled to run at any time of the day. With years of experience and Fortune 500 backing, Mozy is the trusted leader in online backup.
File sync software
Mozy Stash is a free file synchronization feature that provides Mozy users a simple way to keep their most active data up to date across each of the computers they regularly use. Stash simplifies having multiple devices while protecting your files.
Anywhere access
Mozy does more than just back up or sync your data these days. We also make your files available to you when you're away from your computer. Access, preview, and share files on your iOS and Android devices with the secure Mozy app.

ElephantDrive Cloud Storage 2 GB Free
Backup: Simple, secure, and automatic backup for all of your files.
Everywhere: Magical delivery of your important files to all of your computers and devices.
Web Access: Fast access from any browser – no software required to download your files.
Secure Sharing: Easy and fast sharing of folders with secure permissions.
Secure Sending: Send files quickly using by creating easy to share links.
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Android as well as NAS Devices
2 Great features with ElephantDrive are:

1. Integrates directly with leading home and small business NAS devices and storage solutions.

2. It has a backup folder that you can put files in but not Sync them with all your devices, Great for just storing files on line.

MyOtherDrive 2 GB Free
MyOtherDrive's free plan does not offer the premium offering's like "file linking" capabilities and you may also see some advertisements within their program. But it's another 2GB Free Storage

Just remember, once it's in a cloud, you are sharing with the entire world.

Be careful what pcitures, docs, etc you put up out there. Whether you pay or you get it for free, you have to assume that your data will be compromised eventually.

Never backup any private data to any cloud (e.g. Apple, google, etc).

Think securITy ;)

• Like 1

If you like Dropbox and don't want to bother your friends to get more free space... Just type in Dropbox on eBay... There are guys there that will get you to the lifetime 18GB max for less than $2... Just give them your referral code...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dropbox-storage-Upgrade-to-18GB-in-24-Hours-for-Lifetime-via-referral-signups-/191329221233?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8c1c3a71

Also you can get another free 3gb on your own for downloading Dropbox's app Carousel and confirming your email address (then you can delete the app as it is kinda lame ;-)...

https://www.dropbox.com/help/287

Edited by sfokevin

I have used DROPBOX for about a couple of years now - during this time it hasn't skipped a beat, and works seamlessly across all the business PC/MAC platforms and SAMSUNG/IPHONE smart phones we use.

Install and integration was smooth and easy across all platforms.

I used the free version originally for personal cloud storage, and to check the system out - my storage was quickly increased to 80Gbyte(free) through friends, colleagues and students referral whenever I shared files with them (you get another 1 Gbyte free for each person you introduce.)

Recently I upgraded it to a 'paid-for' 100 Gbyte account, which DROPBOX upgraded again free of charge to over 1,000Gbyte/1Tbyte of file storage with and additional file 'Pro' handling/sharing utilities for the cost of 3 Heinekens on 'Walking-Street' a month.

We now use this for business backup of our entire paperwork and technical data systems. Encryption, storage type and size have no limitations within your account size. We also have our business web site backed up to the same cloud account via a WORDPRESS add-on called WP2D

Info and pricing at www.dropbox.com

'Not bad at all and does everything we want to do' smile.png

Edited by SteveB2
  • Like 1

I will NEVER put anything on anyone's cloud.

An external hard drive costs around $100 for 2 TB. It is a one-time cost - not monthly or annually.

Learn to use any free backup software (I use EaseUS ToDo Backup - free version) and you'll never lose data.

FYI: I have 18 external drives in use and 16 more that are backups of those external drives. Plus one that is dedicated to backups of online drives - every few months I do a complete clone of my 'C' drive and well as backing up individual files as needed.

• Like 2

I never took to this cloud concept. My attitude has been that once you put something out there it is out of your hands, no way to control where it is going to end up. But finding out that the cloud provider is reviewing and censoring the files, well, that is above and beyond acceptability.

bah.gif

If you only have 1 device, then the cloud is not that useful.

If you have a desktop pc, laptop, tablet, mobile phone etc. And want to be able to access your data on all, you either need to carry around a USB drive with everything in it, or use the cloud.

If your files are super top secret, then the physical security of USB is probably the go. But, I prefer the convenience of being able to access the files from any device.

If hackers want to look at my reports and spreadsheets, I think they'll fund them pretty boring. Most of it gets emailed around to different people anyway, which is a lot less secure.

• Like 1

If you only have 1 device, then the cloud is not that useful.

If you have a desktop pc, laptop, tablet, mobile phone etc. And want to be able to access your data on all, you either need to carry around a USB drive with everything in it, or use the cloud.

If your files are super top secret, then the physical security of USB is probably the go. But, I prefer the convenience of being able to access the files from any device.

If hackers want to look at my reports and spreadsheets, I think they'll fund them pretty boring. Most of it gets emailed around to different people anyway, which is a lot less secure.

I would agree with this. For me I can pull up stuff on my galaxy note wherever I am (hospital, office, etc) and it has saved a lot of time.

I understand (and am not surprised by) the paranoia out there (especially with TVM's), but with seven billion people out there the amount of data generated every day is huge and I am not worried about the NSA or whoever - mainly because I am a pretty boring and law abiding person.

On a side note, I found it very interesting to see that when the NSA went to build their internal cloud service, they did not tap big blue IBM, but went with amazon instead. Maybe I'm just getting old and the younger guys could see this coming, but I sure was taken back (especially since I'd been holding some IBM stock)

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/07/amazon-web-services-wins-again-in-battle-to-build-the-cia-and-nsa-cloud/

I will NEVER put anything on anyone's cloud.

An external hard drive costs around $100 for 2 TB. It is a one-time cost - not monthly or annually.

Learn to use any free backup software (I use EaseUS ToDo Backup - free version) and you'll never lose data.

FYI: I have 18 external drives in use and 16 more that are backups of those external drives. Plus one that is dedicated to backups of online drives - every few months I do a complete clone of my 'C' drive and well as backing up individual files as needed.

Exactly the point I was going to make before seeing your comment.

The recent disclosure of the private information/photographs of high profile stars having been compromised is sufficient to let everyone know that cloud storage is not secure...!

My storage comprises only of written works, so it will take me quite some time to fill a 2TB hard drive, but when it is full I will simply buy another, and since I only attach the hard drive to my computer when transferring documents, even the best hackers cannot access my files.

• Like 2