Pope: Current conflicts may amount to third world war

Lite Beer

Pope: Current conflicts may amount to third world war

Milan - Pope Francis on Saturday said that armed conflicts around the world today amounted to a third world war, as he commemorated fallen soldiers with a mass at the Redipuglia memorial in northern Italy.

"I now find myself here, in this place, able to say only one thing: War is madness," Francis said. "Even today, after the second failure of another world war, perhaps one can speak of a third war, one fought piecemeal, with crimes, massacres, destruction."

The pope used his visit to the memorial - where 100,000 Italian soldiers killed in World War I are buried - to urge people to show more compassion for the suffering caused by current conflicts.

Francis has been urging an end to conflicts in the Middle East, Ukraine and elsewhere.

"From this place we remember all the victims of every war. Today, too, the victims are many," the pope said in his homily during a mass at the memorial, which commemorates soldiers that died fighting the Austro-Hungarian empire.

"With the heart of a son, a brother, a father, I ask each of you, indeed for all of us, to have a conversion of heart: to move on from ’What does it matter to me?’, to tears: for each one of the fallen of this senseless massacre, for all the victims of the mindless wars, in every age," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Pope-Current-conflicts-may-amount-to-third-world-w-30243236.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-14

Every country in the world could adopt a policy where the leader has to be a veteran of war, so they have some sense of what war is, and if he or she wants to start a new conflict, they have to sacrifice one of their sons or daughters, to go fight on the front line. Are you serious about this conflict you are about to start? How much does it mean to you? Willing to lose a son over it? If not, do not even consider getting our country involved.

And if the Pope really believes we are already involved in WWIII, he is demonstrating a profound lack of wisdom. Something I did not expect to see from this man. Yes, there is alot of conflict going on, but it does not arise to the level of a world war. Not yet, anyway.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Every country in the world could adopt a policy where the leader has to be a veteran of war, so they have some sense of what war is, and if he or she wants to start a new conflict, they have to sacrifice one of their sons or daughters, to go fight on the front line. Are you serious about this conflict you are about to start? How much does it mean to you? Willing to lose a son over it? If not, do not even consider getting our country involved.

And if the Pope really believes we are already involved in WWIII, he is demonstrating a profound lack of wisdom. Something I did not expect to see from this man. Yes, there is alot of conflict going on, but it does not arise to the level of a world war. Not yet, anyway.

A million likes.