Now all THAI passengers will get extra 10 kilogramme baggage allowance

Lite Beer

Now all THAI passengers will get extra 10 kilogramme baggage allowance

9-24-2014-8-42-41-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International said it has increased an extra 10 kilogrammes baggage allowance for passengers flying at all classes on domestic and international flights from now on.

THAI executive vice president Suraphon Israngura na Ayuthya said the increase in baggage allowance was aimed at increasing the competitiveness of the flag carrier and at raising the service standard of the airline.

The baggage allowance will be increased by 10 kilogrammes for first class, business class and economy class from earlier 40-30-20 to 50-40-30 respectively.

Passengers with Royal Orchid Plus gold and platinum status will get additional weight in accordance with their membership status, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/now-thai-passengers-will-get-extra-10-kilogramme-baggage-allowance/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-09-24

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that they would decrease their ticketing price before they increase their baggage allowance

more worrying would be with all that extra weight they are giving people they must be cutting down the amount of fuel they are putting in the planes.....laugh.png

Sir, you have an extra 10kg but we might have to land 5km short of the actual runway cos we may not have enough fuel....rolleyes.gif

too little, too late, methinks

Why? I Use them regularly and they are fine.... I was looking for a fare for the dates I wanted over the new year, coming up, and they were the cheapest full service, and direct flight, airline for those dates... they were only about 60 AUD dearer than AA and the like...

Use them a bit and you may just get a surprise

Edited by winnerinsix

Good, hope the other domestic carriers follow suit i.e Bangkok Airways. Always end up traveling from BKK to the north via coach as the airlines from the UK (Etihad & Emirates) allows 30KG to BKK but then any connecting domestic flight is then only 20GK!!! Though sure most people don't get close to 30KG so who knows what difference it will make!

I wish that they would decrease their ticketing price before they increase their baggage allowance

more worrying would be with all that extra weight they are giving people they must be cutting down the amount of fuel they are putting in the planes.....laugh.png

Sir, you have an extra 10kg but we might have to land 5km short of the actual runway cos we may not have enough fuel....rolleyes.gif

Nah, more than compensated for by empty seats.

In fact that is where you are expected to stow the extra 10kg, on a nearby empty seat.

I am flying home to Oz with them next Monday night and I got the cheapest fare by a long way that I have ever gotten off them in the 8 years I have lived/been coming here

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That will not compensate for the fact all Thai Smile flight will leave from Don Meuang as of 26 October, I'll take Bangkok Airways instead, they also allow 30kgs if you register with their FF program.

My Thai Smile ticket for 8th November clearly states Suvarabhumi as the departure airport to Chiang Mai

Well, after I realized I had over 20 kg's of luggage last time and the fact that they were charging $25 US a kg for anything over that I got a ticket refund and flew on Emirates. Emirates was about $11 more but they allowed up 30 kg's and even let me slide by with 32.

What I'm saying is that this is just one case where they lost out on a seat. I'm sure there have been more judging by what I see for luggage at the check in lines.

too little, too late, methinks

Why? I Use them regularly and they are fine.... I was looking for a fare for the dates I wanted over the new year, coming up, and they were the cheapest full service, and direct flight, airline for those dates... they were only about 60 AUD dearer than AA and the like...

Use them a bit and you may just get a surprise

Well I fly business class and the Thai fares ex Australia to BKK are the cheapest, and their new B777ER aircraft have the best business class seating arrangement I have experienced - everyone gets the equivalent of an isle seat making it easy to get in and out. Their new A380s are set up the same. Service is good and food OK.

I take it the poster who suggested that they would carry less fuel because of the increased baggage allowance is having a joke. Apart from the statuary requirements to carry fuel for the flight plus fixed and variable reserves plus fuel to an alternate, do you really think that pilots want to run out of fuel 5 km short of the runway? They are more interested in their self preservation than most passengers are.

Soutpeel, be realistic. Let's assume 400 pax, 4000 kgs of baggage extra, and not all will avail themselves of the extra.

Fuel load 160,000 kgs, fuel burn 10,000 kg/hr, 40,000 kg/hr on takeoff (only about a minute at that rate). Need I say more about accommodating the extra baggage allowance?

Modern aircraft are seldom flying routes that come close to their maximum endurance, and if, as another poster contends, Thai are just catching up with other carriers, they'll all be landing short.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That will not compensate for the fact all Thai Smile flight will leave from Don Meuang as of 26 October, I'll take Bangkok Airways instead, they also allow 30kgs if you register with their FF program.

My Thai Smile ticket for 8th November clearly states Suvarabhumi as the departure airport to Chiang Mai

Just a FYI i have been trying to book Thaiair from udon thani to bangkok and now all the flights ive looked at go to Don meung (since the 20th i was told by Thai staff)

i will be flying bangkok air as my connecting flight as im flying out of swampy

I can't believe it took them so long to realize that their 20K allowance was one of the things that put people off.

There are other factors, and I wonder how long it will take their brilliant executives to acknowledge that :

- The staff in most of their offices are essentially a bunch of unpleasant gorgons who treat customers as if it were an honor for them to even be allowed on the premises,

- The onboard staff, who used to be extremely nice and friendly, have also taken a bitter turn in the past 5 years or so,

- The PRICES, especially for the LONG TERM TICKETS, are an insult to reason. OK it's a drag to do a stop in Dubai or Abu Dhabi or wherever, but for a 500 dollars difference, travellers will make the effort because most people are not rich, it's as simple as that !

- The privilege policy on Thai Airways is so obvious that it's unpleasant for normal passengers. By normal, I mean the poor devils who are paying a normal price and are treated like cattle because they are not on the 'hi so list' of the company for whatever reason.

Baggage charges have reached "highway robbery" status. Remember the days when baggage charges was basically not even a concern because basically there were no charges unless you were taking along your pet elephant. And whoever believes baggage charges reduced basic ticket prices needs to get their medication adjusted.

Gave them up about 2 years ago when they left me stuck at CM airport (managed to get on Air Asia so OK)..

Had the flight booked about 3 months earlier but they lost the booking and 25 or so Emails and fruitless conversations later gave them up as a lost cause.

TG definitely have a good product hence why I.. friends and family etc.enjoyed using them for what the best part of 20 years ...(10 as a Gold card members) but no more ...the smile has faded.

The world has changed since the old monopoly days of pick a flight with either .Thai-BA-Quantas...there are others....

Still go back to UK with the odd joli down to see relatives in Oz a couple of times a year so just for old times sake ...checked their tic prices... and 1200 quid seemed ..not to bad ...until I noticed that was for 1 passenger.

Over at good old Eti returns for both of us hit me for less that 1K...and a chance to try thy their new A 380.....and luggage is about 40 kilos each plus hand baggage...wife loves that...I carry a Tesco bag..

Know there is a stop in A Dhabi but after 6 months of CM whats another hour or so.....also ....we use the Royal Orchid Lounge at Suwanna......nong...nong...another G & T jao...lots of nam ken.....and manau.....stirred not shaken...sanuk..

never forget that you have a choice....where did I remember that from..?

Edited by Rinrada

Good, hope the other domestic carriers follow suit i.e Bangkok Airways. Always end up traveling from BKK to the north via coach as the airlines from the UK (Etihad & Emirates) allows 30KG to BKK but then any connecting domestic flight is then only 20GK!!! Though sure most people don't get close to 30KG so who knows what difference it will make!

Just sign up online free, for Bangkok Airways Frequent Flyer Program and hey presto, 30 kg!

You also have free access to their lounges.

This year flew Qatar from LHR (30kg) everything (including me) checked all the way through to Chiang Mai on Bangkok Airways.

Edited by uptheos

Well, after I realized I had over 20 kg's of luggage last time and the fact that they were charging $25 US a kg for anything over that I got a ticket refund and flew on Emirates. Emirates was about $11 more but they allowed up 30 kg's and even let me slide by with 32.

What I'm saying is that this is just one case where they lost out on a seat. I'm sure there have been more judging by what I see for luggage at the check in lines.

What did you bring, everything but the kitchen sink??