Rising sea 'could ruin Thailand's east coast in 30 years'

webfact

Built my house 1500 meters from the coast and 10 meters above mean sea level. I think I'll be OK.

Wrong logic! Should have built it 10 metres from the coast, and 1500 metres high....... according to Thai logic. giggle.gif

Wrong answer. I'm not Thai, why would I want to use their logic. 1500 meters high, that's about 400+ storeys, I doubt that it could have been built 30 years ago using anybody's logic. I'll stick with what I've got, thank you, rather than try and turn back the clock.

Edited by Keesters

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mather pointed out that the sea level in Trat and Chanthaburi provinces had risen by 4-5 millimetres per year, against the mean global level change of 3mm."

Hysterical, but dutifully reported for the ignorant.

Further down the other report is saying in the 2030s the sea level in Chanthaburi is expected to rise 0.19mm a year though which is a whole order of magnitude smaller - either the usual sloppy reporting or they haven't got a clue what is going to happen.

Well IMO it will just continue to pile up right offshore there and we'll be water skiing down it to the beach in 30 years.

Alarmists Are In Way Over Their Heads On Rising Ocean Claims

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/09/24/alarmists-are-in-way-over-their-heads-on-rising-ocean-claims/

Rise of sea levels is 'the greatest lie ever told'

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/Articles_2011/Winter-2010/Morner.pdf

Papassorn Sunet said she had to elevate her house twice already in the face of soaring seawater level.

Khun Papassorn must raise her house only a couple centimeters each time as the annual rate of rise over the past 20 years has been 0.13 inches (3.2mm)

That's a TOTAL of 2.6 inches (64mm) over the last twenty years http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-level-rise/

I can't believe people are still being suckered in paying higher taxes, higher energy bills, reduced employment, and reducing their standards of living for this hoax.

oil gas and coal companies can always pay off some 'scientists' to come up with this stuff.

Baaa, baaa. I just said, "a lot of people are gullible", in sheep language so you could understand.

Since when has National Geographic Organization/Magazine been in the payroll of the oil companies?

Find some data that shows the sea level rising faster than 0.13 inches a year over the last twenty years.

I showed links to back up my point of view. You just 'feel' the oil, gas, and coal companies are buying off scientists. Got ANY evidence of that?

This article is so short of facts they use a woman 'saying' she had to raise her house twice because of rising sea levels but for you and the other gullible sheep, that is all the proof you need. Never mind the actual increases in sea level. Baaaaaaa, Baaaaaaa (sheep talk for 'gullible people will believe anything and don't need proof')

Chicken Little syndrome, described as "inferring catastrophic conclusions possibly resulting in paralysis".[4] It has also been defined as "a sense of despair or passivity which blocks the audience from actions".[5] The term began appearing in the 1950s[6] and the phenomenon has been noted in many different societal contexts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

Climate change is a fact. Climate change caused by humans is also a fact. Climate deniers being funded by the energy industry is also a fact. Koch Industries in the US for example funneled tens of millions of dollars into these groups. Willing to ruin the world for the coming generations all to increase their bank account in the now.

Climate change deniers can read the full article which states that 97% of climatologists, that is climatologists who actually study the climate and nothing else agree that climate change is real and is happening.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/may/28/global-warming-consensus-climate-denialism-characteristics

Climate change deniers can read the full article which states that 97% of climatologists, that is climatologists who actually study the climate and nothing else agree that climate change is real and is happening.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2013/may/28/global-warming-consensus-climate-denialism-characteristics

This is just NOT true.

Many scientists who left the IPCC are complaining that their good names are still being used from the IPCC

even though they left the IPCC because they found out that the facts are getting twisted !

Read some books from REAL climate scientists.

The IPCC is full of Lawyers, Accountants, Economists and Politicians ... no leading scientists involved in the IPCC anymore !

• Like 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/09/24/alarmists-are-in-way-over-their-heads-on-rising-ocean-claims/

Papassorn Sunet said she had to elevate her house twice already in the face of soaring seawater level.

Khun Papassorn must raise her house only a couple centimeters each time as the annual rate of rise over the past 20 years has been 0.13 inches (3.2mm)

That's a TOTAL of 2.6 inches (64mm) over the last twenty years http://ocean.nationalgeographic.com/ocean/critical-issues-sea-level-rise/

I can't believe people are still being suckered in paying higher taxes, higher energy bills, reduced employment, and reducing their standards of living for this hoax.

Right on man. These alarmists drive me nuts. Those round planet people are another lot???? Look, if the earth was not flat, if you weren't at the North pole, you would fall off. What other proof would you need? Weirdo lefties and conspiracy people who, just because they have had many years of education, think they know more than good old common sense folk.

oil gas and coal companies can always pay off some 'scientists' to come up with this stuff.

Baaa, baaa. I just said, "a lot of people are gullible", in sheep language so you could understand.

Since when has National Geographic Organization/Magazine been in the payroll of the oil companies?

Find some data that shows the sea level rising faster than 0.13 inches a year over the last twenty years.

I showed links to back up my point of view. You just 'feel' the oil, gas, and coal companies are buying off scientists. Got ANY evidence of that?

This article is so short of facts they use a woman 'saying' she had to raise her house twice because of rising sea levels but for you and the other gullible sheep, that is all the proof you need. Never mind the actual increases in sea level. Baaaaaaa, Baaaaaaa (sheep talk for 'gullible people will believe anything and don't need proof')

Chicken Little syndrome, described as "inferring catastrophic conclusions possibly resulting in paralysis".[4] It has also been defined as "a sense of despair or passivity which blocks the audience from actions".[5] The term began appearing in the 1950s[6] and the phenomenon has been noted in many different societal contexts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

Climate change is a fact. Climate change caused by humans is also a fact. Climate deniers being funded by the energy industry is also a fact. Koch Industries in the US for example funneled tens of millions of dollars into these groups. Willing to ruin the world for the coming generations all to increase their bank account in the now.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Keep drinking that al gore AGL Kool Aid. It's over. Most polls show that people in the US don't care about Global Warming.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2014/04/04/poll-americans-still-unconcerned-about-global-warming

Every prediction of doom has failed to happen. Even the temperature rise is on a 17 - 20 year hiatus.

I wonder what percent of Thais think Global Warming is a danger.

BTW, what do the Koch brothers have to do with this? Where is their payoff? 'tens of millions of dollars' Do you have ANY links or are you just repeating 'progressive' talking points designed for the foolish sheep out there who don't need facts; only need to 'believe'.

Does that include the Islands ?

Looks like Issan is going to become home to a lot of white skinned Thais, thatll be fun for them clap2.gif

Not so much fun for us already living here, apart from the rising land prices.

Cities like Khon Kaen and Udon Thani have changed SO much in the past 10 years it's amazing.

What was a quite rural small city when I moved here is now a large busy city, and still growing. It is predicted to be the country's capital in the future which shows in the land prices. Buying land here is now the favourite method of money laundering of wealthy Thais, mostly in the former government. 5 rai of land near my house went for 220 million baht. 10 years ago I was offered 1 rai for 100,000 baht.

Right on man. These alarmists drive me nuts. Those round planet people are another lot???? Look, if the earth was not flat, if you weren't at the North pole, you would fall off. What other proof would you need? Weirdo lefties and conspiracy people who, just because they have had many years of education, think they know more than good old common sense folk.

Even if Global Warming is caused by the activities of man, it is entirely too late to tell everyone we have to go back to a pre-industrial age. And even if we could, the events that have been put in motion are not reversible. India and China have no interest in stopping their economies and did not bother to attend the latest Climate Summit talks. All the US gains from reduced carbon emissions are due to the slowed economy. You may like to run around with your hair on fire telling everyone to panic but I can't see the point.

• Like 1

Most of us will be dead by then or would have moved on from the Thailand fever.

China have invested in Laos, not long before that country gets messed up just like Thailand.

Tourism, greed and media.

It was written in stone.

Who is us? If you're talking about OAPs then you are correct but not if talking about the average expat.

Another scientist with another pointless story. saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

Can't even keep the figures consistent.

So lets take the headline figures of 5mm per year at 30 years, yes that's 15 cm. Yes 15 cm that is smaller than a dick.

Oh no the whole of the eastern seaboard, yes the place with high land values, will be drowned in water and everyone will have to move to where a load of idiots who believed the Shins scheme bought land, yep the old Esarn. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry folks, those of you that bought land in Esarn it will always be worthless and only idiots will be passing it between themselves like the Natwest piggies.

"Mather pointed out that the sea level in Trat and Chanthaburi provinces had risen by 4-5 millimetres per year, against the mean global level change of 3mm."

Further down the other report is saying in the 2030s the sea level in Chanthaburi is expected to rise 0.19mm a year though which is a whole order of magnitude smaller - either the usual sloppy reporting or they haven't got a clue what is going to happen.

100% sloppy reporting. 0.19mm = 2/10 of a millimeter. If they had an editor that knew the first thing about decimal places, it would have been corrected. At that rate, sea level will rise 19 millimeters per century. Every computer model concocted by government funded lackeys scientists has proven to not work in the real world. Antarctic ice is largest ever recorded and the Arctic ice is returning with a vengeance. Only through manipulation of selected data can anyone still make a case for the connection of carbon dioxide and Global Warming that has stopped warming 17 - 21 years ago and they cannot explain that. 'If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit', is what's happening here with this article and others like it. They depend on their authority to convince you or scare you into believing.

So much nonsense in one post - amazing!

Antarctic ice mass continues to decrease

Ice extent in the Arctic continues to be far below average, and is certainly not "returning with a vengeance"

The 10 warmest years on record are, in order ... 2010, 2005, 1998, 2013, 2003, 2002, 2006 2009, 2007, 2004 - yet you claim that global warming stopped in 1997, or possibly 1993.

100% sloppy reporting. 0.19mm = 2/10 of a millimeter. If they had an editor that knew the first thing about decimal places, it would have been corrected. At that rate, sea level will rise 19 millimeters per century. Every computer model concocted by government funded lackeys scientists has proven to not work in the real world. Antarctic ice is largest ever recorded and the Arctic ice is returning with a vengeance. Only through manipulation of selected data can anyone still make a case for the connection of carbon dioxide and Global Warming that has stopped warming 17 - 21 years ago and they cannot explain that. 'If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullshit', is what's happening here with this article and others like it. They depend on their authority to convince you or scare you into believing.

Ice extent in the Arctic continues to be far below average, and is certainly not "returning with a vengeance"

The 10 warmest years on record are, in order ... 2010, 2005, 1998, 2013, 2003, 2002, 2006 2009, 2007, 2004 - yet you claim that global warming stopped in 1997, or possibly 1993.

These numbers are simply INCORRECT !

Not sure where you get your numbers from but if you look at the REAL data from universities you will

find out that it was much warmer in the 1930s !!!

It is NOT warming !!! Scientific FACT !!! [don't trust the public media, go to the REAL info at universities !]

• Like 1

Antarctic sea ice continues to grow beyond record coverage

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-22/antarctic-sea-ice-continues-to-expand/5760642

Myth of Arctic meltdown: Stunning satellite images show summer ice cap is thicker and covers 1.7million square kilometres MORE than 2 years ago...despite Al Gore's prediction it would be ICE-FREE by now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2738653/Stunning-satellite-images-summer-ice-cap-thicker-covers-1-7million-square-kilometres-MORE-2-years-ago-despite-Al-Gore-s-prediction-ICE-FREE-now.html

Scientist confesses he made up polar bear population estimates

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/05/scientist_confesses_he_made_up_polar_bear_population_estimates.html

My, my. All you have to do is type it into the Internet and it becomes fact for you. Why is it all you Global Warming Kool Aid drinkers don't need any facts; at least facts that can stand the test of time? You've been lied to and now you are so committed to your belief that you can't stand to admit that you were fooled.

• Like 1

Built my house 1500 meters from the coast and 10 meters above mean sea level. I think I'll be OK.

Wrong logic! Should have built it 10 metres from the coast, and 1500 metres high....... according to Thai logic. giggle.gif

Wrong answer. I'm not Thai, why would I want to use their logic. 1500 meters high, that's about 400+ storeys, I doubt that it could have been built 30 years ago using anybody's logic. I'll stick with what I've got, thank you, rather than try and turn back the clock.

Sense of humour loss, per chance?

Yes, indeed, it went100 metres above his antenna.rolleyes.gif

Not to mention - Krungthep Maha Nakorn... Ratanakosin Island, which includes the Grand Palace, the Wat Phra Kaew, Sanam Luang, etc. is just 7 to 10 meters above sea level. That might be considered high enough by some. But when the high tide comes and when there is a lot of rain, I will let you imagine just how high that is. Thankfully, I am now very well settled waaaay above the rising sea. It may take a few more decades for the rise to happen - but at least that is no longer a worry for me.

Edited by toybits

These numbers are simply INCORRECT !

Not sure where you get your numbers from but if you look at the REAL data from universities you will

find out that it was much warmer in the 1930s !!!

It is NOT warming !!! Scientific FACT !!! [don't trust the public media, go to the REAL info at universities !]

Agreed. Ever since some governments decided to 'stack the deck', scientists who want funding have been flocking to get grants.

BREAKING: NEW CLIMATE DATA RIGGING SCANDAL ROCKS US GOVERNMENT

http://www.principia-scientific.org/breaking-new-climate-data-rigging-scandal-rocks-us-government.html

Australia Government Accused Of Manipulating Temperature Data

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/25/australia-government-climate-office-accused-of-manipulating-temperature-data/

Putting one's trust in governments to have your best interests at heart is stupid.

Edited by rametindallas

rametindallas, on 29 Sept 2014 - 13:52, said:
exalll, on 29 Sept 2014 - 13:33, said:
rametindallas, on 29 Sept 2014 - 11:58, said:
Orac, on 29 Sept 2014 - 11:37, said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-22/antarctic-sea-ice-continues-to-expand/5760642

Myth of Arctic meltdown: Stunning satellite images show summer ice cap is thicker and covers 1.7million square kilometres MORE than 2 years ago...despite Al Gore's prediction it would be ICE-FREE by now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2738653/Stunning-satellite-images-summer-ice-cap-thicker-covers-1-7million-square-kilometres-MORE-2-years-ago-despite-Al-Gore-s-prediction-ICE-FREE-now.html

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/05/scientist_confesses_he_made_up_polar_bear_population_estimates.html

My, my. All you have to do is type it into the Internet and it becomes fact for you. Why is it all you Global Warming Kool Aid drinkers don't need any facts; at least facts that can stand the test of time? You've been lied to and now you are so committed to your belief that you can't stand to admit that you were fooled.

My my, and what do we read beyond the headline...did you actually read all of the article from the ABC.. "

But Dr Lieser said the growing extent of sea ice was, in fact, a symptom of global warming.

"The increase in Antarctic sea ice extent might seem paradoxical given changes in the global climate, but it's not when we consider some of the other factors at play," he said"

• Like 1

Regarding the arcting meltdown, sea ice is just paper thin ice with quickly disappears. Polar Ice cap was thick and did not disappear during the summer months. When the new sea ice melts, the open sea which is darker in color will absorb heat which will encourage more Polar and sea ice to melt. It is a downward spiral.

• Like 1

rametindallas, on 29 Sept 2014 - 13:52, said:
rametindallas, on 29 Sept 2014 - 11:58, said:

My my, and what do we read beyond the headline...did you actually read all of the article from the ABC.. "

But Dr Lieser said the growing extent of sea ice was, in fact, a symptom of global warming.

"The increase in Antarctic sea ice extent might seem paradoxical given changes in the global climate, but it's not when we consider some of the other factors at play," he said"

I can only argue one point at a time. Exall claimed, 'Antarctic ice mass continues to decrease. Ice extent in the Arctic continues to be far below average'

Now that I've shot down his silly claim, I will address your lack of understanding. As with most scientists who are dependent on government funding, he has to 'spin' the facts. He has to twist logic to make his case. Sorta like last winter when the US broke so many cold records; it was deemed another proof of global warming. If it rains today; global warming. If it is dry today; global warming. It's really a game now.

Regarding the arcting meltdown, sea ice is just paper thin ice with quickly disappears. Polar Ice cap was thick and did not disappear during the summer months. When the new sea ice melts, the open sea which is darker in color will absorb heat which will encourage more Polar and sea ice to melt. It is a downward spiral.

Clearly, you didn't bother reading the links. If you had, you wouldn't be spouting the tired talking points of the fear-mongers. You've been scammed. Learn from it and never trust government again. Stop being so gullible.

Edited by rametindallas