How many pages of a Thread do you read through?

Costas2008

How many pages of a thread do you read?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering as to how many pages of a thread on TVF, members go through and read.

I'm not speaking about the football/soccer threads or the jokes threads that run into hundreds but the news threads or the General topics threads that can go sometimes to 20-25 pages.

I can understand that sometimes a private conversation or duel starts on the thread that can run into pages that doesn't really interest the rest of the members.

Also I understand most of the members, have set their preferences to receive an Email, if somebody quotes their posts, so they can give an answer.

But how many pages of a thread do you really go through?

I believe this will be of interest to other members also and not only me.

So I present you with a poll, that I hope at the end will show us a better picture of the members reading habits.

Thank you for participating.

This isn't going to help you much and I have not filled in the poll as it completely depends on the topic and whether I find it interesting.

Only today read (skimmed some)through a 25 odd page topic but it was on something interesting to me that I had missed. Other topics I may read one or two pages and see there are another 3 or 4 and stop either because I could not be bothered or it had already turned into a slap fest that wasn't particularly entertaining wink.png

• Like 2

If I see a thread with an interesting title that has already run into more than 4 pages, I keep away, usually. I may answer, stating that 'I have not read all the posts' . It doesn't really matter, as many people quite obviously don't take the trouble to read through and expose themselves as ignorant of previous responses.Not that it bothers them.

It depends entirely on the quality of the conversation and my interest level in the topic.

With the dozens of threads on the Koh Tao murders, I had to read way more then I normally would because inside those threads were little pieces to the story and I know I have missed some of it regardless. But normally I give a thread two pages max and the decide if I will go further.

Duplicate topics are quite annoying like the parallel Windows 10 threads.

I also stop reading when it becomes about gerbils or TGAU. I am sure it was funny the first hundred times.

One thing I would like to see would be some kind of indicator that a thread has really taken off. Sometimes really good threads get missed because of the poor title people give to them. It sucks to wander into a good thread that is already 20 pages old.

One of the best topics is the photography and the arts forum, not so much talk but people posting photos of different subjects, some photos are very good, some not so much, but people there seems to be decent and not slagging each other. This is a good topic to go though all the posts.

One of the worst was all the topics about the brutal & tragic murder of the 2 young people, one British and one Irish, I soon stopped reading that, posters was slagging Thailand and the police big time and some said that they will be leaving Thailand, well bye bye then. I think they are still posting away.

Sadly motor and bike forum also have some bull shitters that quickly derail the topic(s) and I am taking a brake posting in motor forum as some just love to hate my choice of pick-up truck brand, it so childish that I choose to laugh about it and I can easily live without this forum but I doubt they can. I go though the whole topic if there is a vehicle I am interested in but mostly bike forum right now as I have a very good truck and will not change before min 4 years time.

Pattaya forum is surprisingly not too bad, most posters seems to be mature people and they give sound advice (mostly).

General topics are a mixed bag with sometimes ridiculous topics like: I think my 25 year old wife is shagging around, I am 65 myself, what would you do? Ha-ha, I read those sometimes just for the fun of it, but if they end up over 3-4 pages, I bailed out long time ago.

Most threads end up as a pissing contest, or the usual Thai bashing, how this forum has survived without being banned on Thai servers I'll never know.

The Daily Mail is banned, and ThaiVisa isn't.

I was thinking that to myself just yesterday.

The German beggar got it when he called Thai's stupid for helping/supporting him.....

May just be a matter of time.

None of the above, I'm afraid.

My reading habits vary depending on:

1) How much interest the thread holds for me.

2) The direction the thread seems to be taking.

3) How much time I have.

Sometimes I won't even get half-way down the first page.

Sometimes I'll read all the pages.

Sometimes I'll read the first couple of pages and then skip to the last page.

Generally though, if the OP is interesting and the comments are for the most part sensible (regardless of whether I agree with them or not), I'll read all the comments. However, if the OP seems initially interesting (which is, of course, why I clicked on it), but the thread looks like it's turning into playground name-calling and "My dad could beat your dad" direction, or "You can't trust a Thai, they're all the same" type of thread, then I lose interest and go read something else. I've got better things to do than read the outpourings of the intellectually challenged.

So sorry, Kostas, I couldn't tick any of your options. Perhaps you could add a category for me and those like me! smile.png

• Like 1

i have actually read through all of a couple, never laughed so much in my life, talk about sprooking sh*t. Some posters are a laugh a minute even when they try to be serious then we have a few like sandman, he was worth reading everytime. Most maybe just 1 or 2 pages(even less) but when you get a goodie its worth reading all the posts if you have the time

If I see a thread with an interesting title that has already run into more than 4 pages, I keep away, usually. I may answer, stating that 'I have not read all the posts' . It doesn't really matter, as many people quite obviously don't take the trouble to read through and expose themselves as ignorant of previous responses.Not that it bothers them.

PS. What about the 'like' phenomenon? Some people only read read posts that have received a like. I once received (I think) over 40 likes for a post I had sent and forgotten about, starting about three days later. It wasn't that brilliant as posts go. but maybe needed to be read twice to understand. (My wife points at the kitchen knives and then at the ducks) in a thread about jealousy.

If I start to read a thread that interests me I try to read all the posts especially if I intend to post on it myself. There's nothing worse than making a post that makes you look a complete arse because you haven't been paying attention. It always amazes me when people reply to questions that weren't actually asked or completely ignore questions that were.

Edited by sustento