Microsoft Thailand to kill off Windows 7 support on October 31, 2014

george

Maybe just to boost sales of Win 8 ?

Oh indeed yes, the question was rhetorical. These mongrels need all the help they can shifting copies of Win8+, but I ain't budging from my Win7 until at least a year of Win10 has passed and it is loved by all.thumbsup.gif

I am sorry DigitalB because I wrote that on my iPad and didn't have the whistling.gif emoticon thumbsup.gif

Worth knowing maybe, but yesterday I "fired" up my old Win 7 Ultimate HDD (which I forgot I still had) and after installing a .... load of updates it was running as good as it used too.

Oke it's slower then my Win 8.1 installation, but that is maybe because it's not running on a Hybrid SSD / HDD biggrin.png

Edit: 1: And to be completely honest, I wrote originally something different in my reply, about the OP being just Scaremongering but I changed that.

Edited by MJCM

It appears that Turkleton is the only one who bothered to read the article involved.

The article has nothing to do with support and everything to do with licencing.

EOL, in this case, stands for End Of Licencing. It only pertains to the distribution and availability of Windows 7 for OEM.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I haven't been able to buy a Windows 7 license/ Installation Media in any of the Major Computer outlets in a long time, but I have to agree I did not ask Microsoft.

But maybe I was looking at the wrong places biggrin.png

Edited by MJCM

Hi guys,

We are simply reporting what comes in our news feeds. We don't invent news.

Seriously, what is wrong facts in this short article?

Not only is the title incorrect, but so is the content. Whoever wrote the article, seriously misunderstood the message.

They have equated End of Licence with End of Support. But if you look at the picture that you included, there is no mention of End Of Support. That was written by the person who simply did not understand what he was reading.

An example.... if you were a System Builder(building PCs and bundling them with an OS, you can no longer order Windows 7 Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate licences after October the 31st.

In fact, Windows 7 Professional is also specifically excluded from the End Of Licencing. It's simply that they don't want more licences created after that date.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Hi guys,

We are simply reporting what comes in our news feeds. We don't invent news.

Seriously, what is wrong facts in this short article?

Maybe you should let someone familiar with the topic post the news in here.

Just a suggestion.

So, just like Windows ME they are dumping Win 8 in favor of Win 10 which to me is an admitted marketing screwup.

Maybe by 2020 They'll have Windows 7.1 that people will actually like. That would be the Win 7 GUI with the improved Win 8/Win 10 kernel.

Microsoft hasn't been on the ball lately. They totally miscalculated the coming popularity of smartphones and tablets and let Google take that away with linux/android. The only people who need a Windows OS on a tablet are those who interface with Server.

Microsoft have never been good in the mobile device arena, even before Android came onto the scene.

Windows Phone 7/8 is actually a very easy to use OS and many of my team actually prefer it to Android and iOS for the simple things like messaging, browsing and phone calls which is most of what they do.

Thanks for letting us know you have a team, and that they all have mobile phones with very good operating systems. I'm very impressed with you and I hope you'll keep us updated on your awesome life.

I had a cracked version of all of my windows OSs and never worried about not having the support mentioned. Chances that you get hit in a road accident here in Thailand are bigger then a problem because your system is no longer supported. If you are concerned for security on your pc, you might want to use a good antivirus program, webbrowser like chrome, firefox et. There is no need and no reason for panic.

Anyway, I'm using Windows 8.1 now. It is far better then Windows 7 and more compatible with my equipment and easier of use.

Thanks for letting us know you have a team, and that they all have mobile phones with very good operating systems. I'm very impressed with you and I hope you'll keep us updated on your awesome life.

Oh dear, did me pointing out that I have personal experience of people actually liking a Microsoft product upset you somehow?

rolleyes.gif

October is incorrect. But that is just for new features anyway. So don't panic your good until 2020

No more new features for Windows 7 after January 2015.

windows_r_200x150.jpg

This week, Microsoft issued a reminder to consumers that Windows 7 will exit Mainstream Support and enter the Extended Support phase on January 13, 2015. That means Windows 7 customers will still obtain security fixes until 2020, but the platform will no longer receive cool new features. This change affects all ten versions of the Windows 7 platform.

"Extended Support lasts for 5 years and includes security updates at no cost, and paid hotfix support. Additionally, Microsoft will not accept requests for design changes or new features during the Extended Support phase," states the support page.

Versions of Windows 7 going into Extended Support include Enterprise, Enterprise N, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Professional N, Starter, Starter N, Ultimate and Ultimate N. Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 will also enter Extended Support on January 13, 2015.

See these two Microsoft articles here:

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows+7

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-update-extended-mainstream-support,27220.html

As far as I know (in Germany) Microsoft is providing "Extended Support" for Windows 7 until January, 2020. Only "Mainstream Support" (security and function updates) will end on 13th January, 2015.

Great news. But already quite a few times mentioned before.

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Read this and everything should be clear.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle#

ALL Win7 versions get extended support until 2020.

Asian versions are not excluded

The only difference to other versions are licensing reasons! (These genuine versions could only be activated in Asia, because of the lower retail price)

There was no lower retail price on my retail version of Windows 7 Professional, I thought there would be but no - same price everywhere.