All retirement visa applications must now be made outside of Thailand?

The only conversions done are from visa exempt or tourist visa entries to a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay.

If a person has a non immigrant visa entry already they apply for an extension of stay. There is no conversion involved when doing this.

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mobi nobody is flaming you, it is just a simple request to use the correct terminology in what is quite a complicated process

as I already stated in an earlier post - the suggestion that Pattaya immigration are not "converting" existing visa's or entries to 90 day None O Visa to facilitate the application of a 12 month extension - needs to be clarified

It has already been suggested that this could be in relation to those Holding ED visa or extension but even in those cases the would only be a requirement for them to go get a tourist visa and then perform the conversion

regardless thanks for sharing you are always articulate in your posts with few exceptions - ahem

• Like 1

The only conversions done are from visa exempt or tourist visa entries to a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay.

If a person has a non immigrant visa entry already they apply for an extension of stay. There is no conversion involved when doing this.

Fine, understand.

It's the application for an extension of stay which is being refused...with the non immigrant visa holder being told to re-apply outside of Thailand, or so I am led to believe.....

Fine, understand.

It's the application for an extension of stay which is being refused...with the non immigrant visa holder being told to re-apply outside of Thailand, or so I am led to believe.....

Yes, could be the case, very, very likely for a non-immigrant education visa.

Thanks UbonJoe and Jingthing, you did clear up this mess. And thnks the rest of you guys that stopped this by calling it out for what it was - Confusion and mixing up words and terms.

All is good and back to normal again - and nothing has changed at all..

Glegolo

Fine, understand.

Yes, could be the case, very, very likely for a non-immigrant education visa.

I have now been advised that it was indeed a non-immigrant education visa.

Previously it was acceptable so this is a change, albeit a small one.

Apologies for not having the full facts before posting, which was largely based on my ignorance of immigration terms and rules.

I'm still not fully convinced about the change in retirement requirements for an O-A application in London, but until I find the specific thread where I read all about it , I will withdraw my assertions.

• Like 2

I have now been advised that it was indeed a non-immigrant education visa.

Previously it was acceptable so this is a change, albeit a small one.

Thank you for this additional information.

The solution to your riddle is in clause 2.9 of the Immigration Bureau Order 327-2557:

post-21260-0-70689200-1412863504_thumb.p

Some immigration officers interpret the limitation of the total period of stay, with extensions, following entry with a non-ED visa to mean that this one-year period must not be exceeded for any reason, ie also not for retirement.

You can only apply for any visa outside Thailand at an embassy or consulate. Immigrations never has issued visas.

And you can only apply for extensions of stay (based on retirement or whatever) at immigrations inside Thailand.Embassies and consulates do not issue extensions of stay.

• Like 1

You can only apply for any visa outside Thailand at an embassy or consulate. Immigrations never has issued visas.

And you can only apply for extensions of stay (based on retirement or whatever) at immigrations inside Thailand.Embassies and consulates do not issue extensions of stay.

Information about CONVERSION to O visa (for special purpose as the first step in a retirement extension process) done IN THAILAND at many Thai immigration offices is explained before on this thread, and perhaps hundreds of other times on this forum.

What are you talking about? A new visa, or a new extension?

He's started out confused and has simply amplified the confusion by using incorrect terms. Hardly surprising he's in a muddle.

I have been holding a retirement visa in Thailand for more than 12 years so I know the system and requirements like the back of my hand.

You can all say it is nonsense till you are blue in the face, but this has definitely been happening to at least two people who applied for retirement visas in Jomtien immigration. In both cases they held 'O' visas and were told they must leave the country and apply outside for their retirement visa.

The issue of The London Thai embassy insisting on the applicant having a state pension has been well documented on Thai Visa in other threads. That does not mean that every embassy has similar rules. Again it is well documented that different consulates appear free to make up their own rules.

It may have been a rogue officer at Jomtien, or just new 'local' rules. Who knows? I hadn't heard about it elsewhere and that is why I posted the question here.

There is so much upheaval and uncertainty with regards to all visas at present that anything is possible.

Specifically I would be interested in any other would be retirees who have recently experienced similar problems at Jomtien, or indeed elsewhere in Thailand.

"I have been holding a retirement visa in Thailand for more than 12 years so I know the system and requirements like the back of my hand."

Obviously you don't know the back of your hand very well if you think you've had a visa for 12 years.

A visa is not another word for an extension of stay. They serve different purposes.

• Like 2

Information about CONVERSION to O visa (for special purpose as the first step in a retirement extension process) done IN THAILAND at many Thai immigration offices is explained before on this thread, and perhaps hundreds of other times on this forum.

I was under the impression that Jomtien were the only provincial office that processed O visa conversions. All non-Pattayans are obliged to travel to Chaengwattana for this purpose - which could, of course, involve lengthy journeys on manically-driven boneshakers of clapped-out busses for non-Bangkokians.

Edited by OJAS

I have been holding a retirement visa in Thailand for more than 12 years so I know the system and requirements like the back of my hand.

You can all say it is nonsense till you are blue in the face, but this has definitely been happening to at least two people who applied for retirement visas in Jomtien immigration. In both cases they held 'O' visas and were told they must leave the country and apply outside for their retirement visa.

The issue of The London Thai embassy insisting on the applicant having a state pension has been well documented on Thai Visa in other threads. That does not mean that every embassy has similar rules. Again it is well documented that different consulates appear free to make up their own rules.

It may have been a rogue officer at Jomtien, or just new 'local' rules. Who knows? I hadn't heard about it elsewhere and that is why I posted the question here.

There is so much upheaval and uncertainty with regards to all visas at present that anything is possible.

Specifically I would be interested in any other would be retirees who have recently experienced similar problems at Jomtien, or indeed elsewhere in Thailand.

Yes I think it has changed but no big deal.

A friend of mine just got an extension of a tourist visa for three months with the aim of getting a retirement visa and as part of the condition he has to leave the country and then come back again after three months but that is all. He could go anywhere and come back and then he has a year I think as per usual retirement process.

I was under the impression that Jomtien were the only provincial office that processed O visa conversions. All non-Pattayans are obliged to travel to Chaengwattana for this purpose - which could, of course, involve lengthy journeys on manically-driven boneshakers of clapped-out busses for non-Bangkokians.

You are under an incorrect impression.

Jomtien and Bangkok are certainly not the only offices that do this.

As a generality, the larger offices tend to offer that service, and it is less likely to be offered at smaller offices.

People interested in this option need to find out about their specific office.

If their specific office doesn't offer it, then the option is to do it in Bangkok ... but if your office DOES do it, it should be done at your local office.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The requirements from Thai Embassy in London are listed on this web site and make no such reference to pension.

1. Copy of bank statement having in possession of annually income equivalent to Thai currency at
    least 800,000 Baht or monthly income 65,000 Baht. (approximately GBP 14,000.00/annum)

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

The rule about having a Govt. pension only applies if you request a Non-Immigrant O visa with multiple entries!

You can all say it is nonsense till you are blue in the face, but this has definitely been happening to at least two people who applied for retirement visas in Jomtien immigration.

This, despite asserting in your initial post, "PS – yes, I know, it is a retirement extension, not really a visa…"

​You clearly have not differentiated between a visa, which must be acquired outside the country at an embassy or consulate (which by definition does not exist inside the country) and the extension of stay for retirement purposes.

Your friends did NOT apply for retirement visas at Jomtien, but perhaps applied for extensions.

You later stated: "And by the way... I didn't know it was such a crime to use the word 'Retirement visa' - half the country uses it, including immigration officers, so what' the big deal? We all know what I mean."

And therein lies half the problem - yes, half the country including immigration officers use those terms, but the confusion, as demonstrated by this entire thread, is that we do NOT know what you mean.

Edited by JusMe

A friend of mine just got an extension of a tourist visa for three months with the aim of getting a retirement visa and as part of the condition he has to leave the country and then come back again after three months but that is all. He could go anywhere and come back and then he has a year I think as per usual retirement process.

Lest readers get confused, let me clarify that your friend did not get "an extension of a tourist visa for three months", but he got this at his local immigration office:

• a non-O visa.

Example stamp:

post-21260-0-04962600-1412882537_thumb.j

• a new permission to stay for 90 days, based on the non-O visa.

Example stamp:

post-21260-0-53620800-1412882538_thumb.j

I was here in Thailand with tourist visa. 3 weeks ago, I obtained a conversion to non immigrant o visa in bangkok office and was asked to come back in two months for retirement visa to same office.

No need to leave Thailand or any of the above false information.

If you have all papers in order you don't need any paid service from lawyers firms or any other organization.

What makes you say that?

Thai Immigration does issue visas

It always has been the case that the application for a VISA is made outside of Thailand.

Then one enters into Thailand on that visa, and while here one applies for the retirement EXTENSION at their local immigration inside Thailand.

If you have a legal visa of any kind to enter Thailand you should be able to CONVERT that legal visa inside of Thailand at your local immigration to an annually renewable retirement extension for one year.

Of course you need to meet the financial and any other requirements here in Thailand to get that extension

Each year you renew that retirement extension for another year at your local immigration by showing you meet their financial and age requirements.

So, as far as I know now, any legal entry VISA you get from any embassy that gets you into Thailand (even a tourist visa) can be converted to a legal retirement EXTENSION at your local immigration if you meet their financial and age requirements.

Some local immigration offices have been known to ask retirement extension applicants to do this two step process of conversion of entry visa and retirement extension in Bangkok. This has usually been in small rural immigration offices that haven't handled that two step process before.

But so far, it is still possible to use that two step retirement extension process

.As far as I know.

I personally believe this is the preferred method the Thai immigration wants applicants to follow, simply because it gives the immigration more local control of the retirement extensions because it requires 90 day reporting from the retiree locally.

But that last is just my opinion.

Lest readers get confused, let me clarify that your friend did not get "an extension of a tourist visa for three months", but he got this at his local immigration office:

As I said before yes he got a non O three month visa and on top of that he has a 12 month' retirement 'visa which can only be activated by leaving the country before the O visa expires. It says retirement visa on the stamp.

Immigration will only issue a Visa if it is part of a conversion culminating in a 12 month extension of stay.

That does sound a very rational statement.

Although in my case when I changed from a TR to a Non O, I was never asked why, or that I was expected to request an extension of stay - even though that was my reason for doing so.

As I said before yes he got a non O three month visa and on top of that he has a 12 month' retirement 'visa which can only be activated by leaving the country before the O visa expires. It says retirement visa on the stamp.

Why would he need to leave (& re-enter?) the country to activate a retirement visa? A Non O-A is only issued by the Thai embassy in your country of residence. Or am I missing the obvious here?

Edited by bluesofa

Immigration will only issue a Visa if it is part of a conversion culminating in a 12 month extension of stay.

That does sound a very rational statement.

Although in my case when I changed from a TR to a Non O, I was never asked why, or that I was expected to request an extension of stay - even though that was my reason for doing so.

I am certain you were asked for the financial proof needed for an extension of stay application.

Also on the application form you filled in this line "I Wish to apply for a non-immigrant visa" and "reason (s) for application"