Manchester City

mrbojangles

where the hel_l is michael johnson by the way citizens? is that rumour true about him liking the beer and pies a bit too much while out injured?

I know you like Johnson, Stevie!!

You wish he were at Liverpool :)

But he got reinjured, its one of those injuries that has not cleared up for a while, I guess it just needs complete rest.

Dont know about the pies? Though the thought of Hollands Meat Pies is making my mouth water!!!

where the hel_l is michael johnson by the way citizens? is that rumour true about him liking the beer and pies a bit too much while out injured?

He's commentating for the BBC atall major athletics meetings :)

ah see now that michael johnson is a fascinating and expert pundit and exactly the calibre of pundity it would be nice to see on football shows.

Correct...with Jeff Stelling. Could have Shebby sitting in the corner as the official dunce of the show.

do you ever listen to bbc radio 5's 606 phone-in show on a sunday? that's like dunce's corner now with host dj spoony regularly embarrassed by proper journalist and knowledgable football bloke gabriele marcotti. it'd be funny if the thick fuc_ker wasn't being paid for presenting the dam_n thing. and he wasn't a supposed liverpool fan. :D

From skysports:-

Tevez scoops award

Man City striker hailed after brilliant December

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has won the Player of the Month award for December.

A string of impressive displays saw the Argentine hit-man score seven goals in six games to boost his side's title challenge.

Tevez's impressive month included scoring the winner against Premier League leaders Chelsea, an equaliser against Bolton and a goal against Sunderland in their 4-3 victory.

When Roberto Mancini took over the scoring did not stop with a goal against Stoke City and a brace in the 3-0 win over Wolves.

This is the first time that Tevez has won the Player of the Month award, after bursting onto the English scene with West Ham United in the 2006/07 season.

The decision was made by the Barclays Awards Panel, which includes representatives from football's governing bodies, the media and fans

I see from BBC World that Adebayor is now doing TV interviews in an Arsenal shirt. Bet that will please his employers.

Mancini also says he can have off as much time as he wants. Not surprising bearing in mind City's change in fortunes and the fact he has been missing most of the season anyway.

That's not taking away from the horrible ordeal he has just been through.

Fergie recognises City threat

But Tevez is of no concern to veteran boss

Sir Alex Ferguson accepts it is time to start treating city rivals Manchester City as a genuine force in the English game.

The two sides collide at the City of Manchester stadium on Tuesday night in the first leg of their eagerly awaited Carling Cup semi-final tie.

City remain in the hunt for a domestic cup double as they face Scunthorpe in the FA Cup at the weekend, but will first set their sights on taking a first leg lead to Old Trafford.

Ferguson has never seen City as a major threat in their pursuit of trophies during his 23-year reign, until multi-million pound investment took their rivals to a new level this term.

"You have to recognise they are a competitor now," said Ferguson.

"We have had to wait a long time for it to be like that but they are obviously making a much better fist of their league programme this year than they have done in the past.

"You could not compare it to Rangers and Celtic but having rivals in the same city does create far more emotion."

Ferguson has dismissed the notion that City have more desire to win the Carling Cup, having not had their hands on silverware in 34 years, while United have been a mainstay at this level throughout that time.

"That is a popular argument," reflected Ferguson. "But it doesn't matter how many semi-finals you have played in, they are occasions when you always want to do well. That is important."

In-form striker, and former United player, Carlos Tevez has been highlighted as City's dangerman by many pundits, but Ferguson is focusing on his own players ahead of the game.

"What happens with him doesn't concern me," he said.

"You have to move on with life. Plenty of players have left here to go to other clubs. I wouldn't have thought it would affect him either. He always had a decent temperament."

On his team selection Ferguson added: "I have got to think about getting a mix in terms of the programme we have got and also the fact I have given young players a game in the past," he said.

"I will have a strongish team but there will be some young players as well."

Interesting.

Flamini set for City switch

Frenchman to make Premier League return

Sky Sports News understands AC Milan's Mathieu Flamini is set to move to Manchester City in a loan deal until the end of the season.

Roberto Mancini is to raid Italy for a second time since taking over at Eastlands, with an approach for Flamini at the top of his agenda.

Flamini usually operates as a defensive central midfielder, a position City have plenty of cover for having brought in Patrick Vieira from Inter Milan earlier this month.

It is, though, at right-back that Flamini has played his best football at Milan having been switched there in the second half of last season due to a spate of injuries at the San Siro.

Flamini has fallen down the pecking order at Milan this term under Leonardo and moves to England in a bid for more regular football.

He should have little trouble adapting to the Premier League having enjoyed a four-year stint at Arsenal from 2004-2008.

Flamini made over 100 appearances under Arsene Wenger and in his final season at the Emirates, prior to his move to Milan, established himself as a key player.

Beckham: 'City will never be bigger than United' - Exclusive :)

David Beckham last night warned Manchester City fans gearing up for tonight's Carling Cup derby showdown: You'll never be bigger than United.

The Old Trafford legend also vowed that if City's ambitious mega-rich owners ever tried to sign him and offered him extortionate wages, he would turn them down flat.

In a wide-ranging interview with Mirrorsport , Beckham rubbished reports he is planning to quit football after the World Cup and promised to play on until he is 40.

And he said his dream would be to finish his career with United. "That would be perfection," Beckham said.

Click here to find out more!

The City hierarchy see tonight's Carling Cup final clash as one of the first steps in City's bid to topple United as Manchester's leading side but Beckham warned them that money can't buy them everything.

"I would never sign for Manchester City," he said. "That's mainly because I am a Man United fan. It doesn't matter about money. It is always about loyalty with Manchester United.

"They are the team I supported and the team that I played for for years and I just couldn't bring myself to sign for City. I couldn't do it.

"City will never be bigger than United. Money does a lot for a club and a team, but being successful and being one of the most recognised clubs in the world doesn't come from the money.

"It's about history. There aren't many clubs that can boast the history of Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona or AC Milan. It's not about having all the money in the world. All that does is creates attention but you can't buy the history of a club."

Beckham, back playing for AC Milan as he aims to cement his place in Fabio Capello's England World Cup squad, has already earned rave reviews for his performances in Italy.

He was the star of Milan's recent drubbing of Juventus in Turin and played the full 90 minutes of his side's 4-0 thrashing of bottom club Siena at the San Siro.

His arrival has coincided with a Milan revival and next weekend Beckham will face Jose Mourinho's table-topping Inter side in the Milan derby.

"It's going to be a terrific match," Beckham said. "It won't be easy because Inter are a good team but there is a lot of confidence in our side at the moment."

Who gives a <deleted> what the knicker wearing, squeaky voiced cockney git, has to say :)

The Old Trafford legend also vowed that if City's ambitious mega-rich owners ever tried to sign him and offered him extortionate wages, he would turn them down flat.

Yeah right, it's easy for someone who know's they will never be offered something to say "I would never go there, no matter how much money they offered." Fekkin pratt.

I tell you what though. I would never Manage Man United, no matter how much money. And I can say that with all honesty..... cos they're never gonna offer me the job. :D

United were the better team and deserved at least a draw.

If we were the better team we would have won. We didn't. The refs decision's weren't that game changing. Was Rafael's shirt tug outside of the box? Possibly yes, but pretty fine margin and if you go pulling at a player like that you have to accept whatever punishment comes your way.

Deserved a draw? Yes, i think with our final assault on goal we should have got something. You have to put them away though. Hopefully come second leg we'll do just that.

Nice win for our lads. Only problem is, I have just got up and seen the score........... its 7am............ they are not still playing injury time, are they?

Can I celebrate yet?

It's safe now jack. Unless the ref waited till the City players went in the showers and the recalled the United players back out :)

Adebayor closing on return

City striker may make Old Trafford clash

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has hinted Emmanuel Adebayor could make his return to action in the Carling Cup semi-final second leg tie against Manchester United next Wednesday.

The striker is currently on compassionate leave in his native Togo following the machine-gun attack on the national team bus that saw three people killed as they arrived in Angola for the African Cup of Nations.

City have told Adebayor to take whatever time he needs but Mancini says the former Arsenal frontman "will be back in the next few days".

Joining Adebayor for the short trip to Old Trafford could be new signing Patrick Vieira.

The Frenchman has been struggling with a calf injury but is being pencilled in to make his debut in Sunday's FA Cup clash at Scunthorpe.

Fellow midfielder Stephen Ireland is also in contention after recovering from a hamstring problem.

City hold a 2-1 advantage over their city rivals thanks to a brace from former United striker Carlos Tevez after Ryan Giggs had opened the scoring.

For all you massive people,lets keep it real!!

WORLD DOMINATION?? LOL :D:D

BBC SPORT

Manchester City will be world's best club - Garry Cook

_47168450_cook_226_get.jpg Cook believes City can dominate world football

Manchester City executive chairman Garry Cook is confident the club is on the path to global domination. City are one of the richest clubs in the world following their takeover by billionaire Arab tycoon Sheikh Mansour.

"This football club is, without doubt, going to be the biggest and best football club in the world," Cook told a fans forum in New York.

"I will make no excuses for saying it, as I truly believe it - with the resources and capabilities we have."

Cook was speaking before the Football Association urged both Manchester clubs to show restraint ahead of their Carling Cup semi-final second leg next Wednesday after City won the first leg 2-1.

In a tense game former United striker Carlos Tevez's goal celebrations prompted a one-fingered gesture from Gary Neville, while subsequently the Argentine branded his ex-United team-mate a "moron" and a "foot-licker".

Since Mansour took over in 2008, City have spent almost £200m on players as they look to break Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal's stranglehold on the Premier League's top-four places.

o.gifCity's spending power has also eclipsed their neighbours, with United's holding company debt growing to more than £700m, though it did announce on Friday that a bond issue had raised £504m.

Last summer Sheikh Mansour's financial muscle ensured City brought Tevez, Gareth Barry, Emmanuel Adebayor and Joleon Lescott, while United opted not to spend the bulk of the £80m brought in by Cristiano Ronaldo's sale.

City also angered United in the summer by displaying a "Welcome to Manchester" poster on completing the transfer of Tevez from his advisors, the Argentine striker having been on loan at United who deemed an asking price of £25m to be excessive.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson retorted by branding City a "small club" while later describing them as "noisy neighbours" after his side's controversial 4-3 derby victory in September.

"It's City isn't it? They're a small club with a small mentality. All they can talk about is Manchester United; they can't get away from it," added Ferguson.

"They think taking Carlos Tevez away from Manchester United is a triumph. It is poor stuff."

Cook's comments follow on from those he made at the club's tour of South Africa in the summer where he said he hoped Manchester City would become "the darling of world football".

After Tevez moved to City he explained that the club's vision and "ambition to become the biggest club in the world," had helped convince him to join.

The 25-year-old scored just once in his first six games for City, but has recently hit 13 goals in 11 games, including both efforts in City's midweek Carling Cup success.

:):D:D:D:D

EDIT....GLOBAL DOMINATION..... :D

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Robinho: I'm quitting City to return to Brazil

January 24, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester City forward Robinho has confirmed he is set to leave Eastlands, with a return to Santos the likely destination.

GettyImages

New Man City manager Roberto Mancini will send Robinho out on loan.

City manager Roberto Mancini named Robinho in his starting line-up for the FA Cup tie against Scunthorpe and the Brazil forward, who has been unhappy to find himself on the bench in recent matches, admits it could be his last match for City.

''What's important is to be happy,'' Robinho told Brazilian radio station Radio Bandeirantes. ''Money is not everything. First thing is that I am going through a bad period.

''Here, Mancini said that I would play one game and another no. I didn't accept that and told him so. It's a World Cup year.''

Speculation has increased that Robinho is set to leave City after he came off the bench against Everton last weekend, only to be substituted himself before the end.

Reports suggest Robinho, who joined City in a £32.5 million move in 2008, is set to take a pay-cut to move back to Santos, with the Premier League club also continuing to pay part of his wages.

The 25-year-old progressed through the ranks at Santos and played over 100 matches for the Brazilian outfit before leaving to Real Madrid in 2005.

And he would love a return, adding: ''The directors all agree that it's better to send me out on loan. It would be exceptional to return to Santos. Playing for Santos would help me in my path to the World Cup. It is my home, I know everyone.''

Robinho also revealed that his friend and compatriot Diego had told him to join him at Juventus but that he had responded: ''Di, I would do better to go fishing. No, I'm going to Brazil.''

Mancini wants Robinho to stay

By Soccernet staff

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini says he wants to keep Robinho at Eastlands despite the Brazilian forward claiming he is set to leave the club.

Roberto Mancini: Saying all the right things

• Robinho: I'm quitting City

Robinho told Brazilian radio that he was all set to return to boy-hood club Santos after being told by City directors that he could leave.

However, Mancini denied any knowledge of an imminent Robinho exit and said he was keen for the player, who scored in City's 4-2 FA Cup fourth round win at Scunthorpe on Sunday, to stay at Eastlands.

Mancini said: "Hopefully in the end Robinho will stay here. In the next day the situation can change but at the moment he stays here and I am very happy for him."

"I think one player can stay in a squad only if he is happy - if he wants to play every game and if he wants to work every day. That is most important because the players and manager must be happy."

Earlier, Robinho had told Brazilian radio station Radio Bandeirantes: "What's important is to be happy. The directors all agree that it's better to send me out on loan. It would be exceptional to return to Santos."

"Santos are only looking at the length of contract because they want a year and City want only six months but I think it is 90% sure."

Robinho joined Manchester City from Real Madrid for £32.5 million in September 2008 but has failed to impress in the Premier League. The 25-year-old was brought on as a substitute and then subbed himself against Everton earlier in January.

from the independent..

Manchester City set to pay £70,000 a week for Robinho to play for someone else

Santos have asked Manchester City to pay about half of Robinho’s wages as they prepare to make him the highest-earning player in Brazil.

Fresh details of the complex deal emerged last night that reveal the strength of the forward’s desire to return to his former team, the lengths that the Brazilian club are going to to secure the signing and the scale of City’s financial muscle.

The forward is ready to take a pay cut of about £45,000 a week from the £150,000 that he secured when he became the most expensive player in this country after moving from Real Madrid 18 months ago. Santos are in talks with sponsors to help to fund about £35,000 of the remaining wage — three times more than their present top earner — with City expected to pick up the balance, about £70,000.

There will probably also be a loan fee payable from Santos to City.

Odilio Rodrigues Filho, the Santos vice-president, is set to arrive in Manchester today to put the final touches to the deal, including its length, which could be completed in the next 24 hours. He will join two Santos marketing directors, Armênio Neto and Eduardo Musa, who have held talks with their counterparts to thrash out contractual issues such as image rights.

Robinho, 26, has made it clear that he wants to move to boost his standing in Brazil before the World Cup finals. He has scored only four goals since the end of 2008.

“It is 90 per cent certain,” Robinho said. “I am bursting to get back to Santos. [The move] is well under way. The clubs are talking about the duration of my loan. Santos would like it to be for a year, but City will only allow me to leave for six months.”

City maintain that their record signing, who cost £34.2 million in September 2008, will not be moving permanently. They received an informal inquiry from Benfica. Santos’ problem is simply to find the money to re-sign the player, who spent three years at the club before he joined Real in 2005.

They have been in talks with local sponsors to raise more than 20 per cent of the player’s wages, following on from similar agreements that have enabled Ronaldo, Adriano and Roberto Carlos to return to Brazil. Ronaldo earns about £80,000 a week playing for Corinthians, some of which is paid by sponsors.

Luís Álvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro, the Santos president, has confirmed that City could be given first option on Paulo Henrique Ganso and Neymar, the playmaker and forward respectively, as part of the deal and said that the weather had been a significant factor in Robinho’s desire to return to Brazil.

“An underlying factor is that in England it is two degrees and in Santos it is 38 degrees [100F],” Ribeiro said. “For technical reasons, he wants to come back. The manager has a plan and Robinho wants to be more near to Brazil for the World Cup. He has accepted a considerable reduction in his salary. I confess that I once thought Robinho returning was just a fantasy, but I believe after I talked with him that it can happen.

“We will have news about Robinho by the end of the week. We have two representatives in England conversing with him and here in Brazil we are going to look for sponsorship.”

As a measure of the inequality that Robinho would bring if the proposed loan move goes through, the club’s present top players, Fabio Costa, the goalkeeper, and Leo, the defender, earn about £17,000 a week.

Emmanuel Adebayor, the City striker, was back in training yesterday after returning from Africa in the wake of the fatal attack on the Togo coach in the build-up to the Africa Cup of Nations this month. It will be left to Adebayor to decide whether to put himself forward for selection for tomorrow evening’s Carling Cup semi-final, second leg with Manchester United at Old Trafford and he has been offered counselling.

City officials are adamant that they have not made an offer for Fernando Gago, the Real Madrid midfield player, and have played down talk that Benjani Mwaruwari, the striker, could be allowed to leave this month.

"It is 90 per cent certain," Robinho said. "I am bursting to get back to Santos. [The move] is well under way. The clubs are talking about the duration of my loan. Santos would like it to be for a year, but City will only allow me to leave for six months."

Just the opinion of a United supporter, which obviously means nothing, but if i were City i would be telling the ungrateful little <deleted> to piss off back whence he came, and not to come back. To call him a "professional" footballer is a slur on the word.

"It is 90 per cent certain," Robinho said. "I am bursting to get back to Santos. [The move] is well under way. The clubs are talking about the duration of my loan. Santos would like it to be for a year, but City will only allow me to leave for six months."

Just the opinion of a United supporter, which obviously means nothing, but if i were City i would be telling the ungrateful little <deleted> to piss off back whence he came, and not to come back. To call him a "professional" footballer is a slur on the word.

He's played them like a ukelele.

If his transfer fee has been written off in City's books as I thought the owners had written off all their debts, why not keep the ungrateful lazy <deleted> playing in the reserves and ruin his World Cup prospects rather than be seen to bend to his every whim.

So he is taking a pay cut down to 100k per week for playing for a club based on that article where the highest salary is 17k.

If he is 'bursting' (if this is indeed his words) to get back to Santos (hang on who is his employer and where is his respect for them in making that statement?) send him back with the ultimatum that he accepts the best Santos can pay him with no contribution from City.

Or leave him to rot in the reserves if he cannot earn a place in City's team.

Of course just a distant dream as these overhyped and over paid players seem to be in control.

City have the money to make an example of him.