Criminal court rejects Suthep's lawsuit against Tarit

webfact

Criminal court rejects Suthep's lawsuit against Tarit

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court Monday rejected a malfeasance lawsuit filed by Suthep Thaugsuban, former secretary general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee and now a monk, against Tarit Pengdith, former director-general of the Department of Special Investigation.

The court reasoned that there was no evidence that Tarit abused his authority to cause defamation to Suthep when he ordered the freezing of his assets.

The court said Tarit was simply acting on the decision of the DSI board and the announcement of the assets freezing in the Royal Gazette and to a press conference was a normal procedure of the DSI.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Criminal-court-rejects-Sutheps-lawsuit-against-Tar-30245842.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-20

No one with any power is going to jail or paying a penalty, Democrat or PTP. Seems the courts and the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it, a lot of things may change, but not for the rich and powerful, business as usual for them.

No one with any power is going to jail or paying a penalty, Democrat or PTP. Seems the courts and the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it, a lot of things may change, but not for the rich and powerful, business as usual for them.

"the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it......"

Right, so you're not upset about....an amnesty! Were you saying this six months ago? Or would you have gone along with an amnesty for everyone except Thaksin?

"the Junta have decided that the best way to achieve peace and reconciliation is to let everyone walk. I'm not particularly upset about it......"

Right, so you're not upset about....an amnesty! Were you saying this six months ago? Or would you have gone along with an amnesty for everyone except Thaksin?

Would you rather Tarit was in jail, as he should be, or Yingluck banned for 5 years? I would, but it isn't going to happen, the powers that be have made a decision. Was I saying it six months ago, no, but perhaps it is for the best. Amnesty for Thaksin, as far as I'm concerned he should be drawn and quartered for what he has done to this country. Anything else?

Court dismisses Suthep's complaint against DSI chief
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday threw out a lawsuit filed by Phra Suthep Thaugsuban against Department of Special Investigation ex-chief Tarit Pengdith over the latter's legal action against him for leading political rallies to overthrow the Yingluck government.

Suthep, ex-secretary-general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee, filed a suit accusing Tarit of malfeasance and libel for pressing criminal charges against him for leading a political rally and having his assets frozen.

The suit, filed in December, said Tarit committed malfeasance by having the Special Case Committee accept his case for investigation. It claimed Tarit had defamed Suthep's reputation.

Sawat Charoenpol, the lawyer representing Suthep, was at the court yesterday to examine witnesses - but the court said it had enough evidence to make a ruling.

The court found Tarit acted in accordance with the Special Cases Committee's resolution and orders and said there was no evidence that showed the Tarit inflicted any damage or harass?ment of Suthep.

Sawat said he would appeal the verdict. He said Tarit's action to freeze Suthep's assets was not carried out in accordance with due process. He said Tarit had to prove the assets were derived from illegal activities before they could be frozen.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Court-dismisses-Sutheps-complaint-against-DSI-chie-30245912.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-21

The General puts reconciliation above all else and because of this he is prepared to let dirty politicians off the hook to avoid setting the UDD running around in masks again with M79s and M16s at the first chance they get.

Is he right ? - probably, but it makes me angry that these people are walking free after what they have done. Every one of those who voted 310:0 for the outrageous amnesty bill for the benefit of Thaksin should be doing 10 years for abuse of power.

The defamation law is the single most damaging law in Thailand today.

It is the root of dozens of long term problems in the country.

Are you sure you mean the defamation law? I would have nominated the lese majeste law, which I think is a separate statute. I thought it came under the national security laws.

The General puts reconciliation above all else and because of this he is prepared to let dirty politicians off the hook to avoid setting the UDD running around in masks again with M79s and M16s at the first chance they get.

Is he right ? - probably, but it makes me angry that these people are walking free after what they have done. Every one of those who voted 310:0 for the outrageous amnesty bill for the benefit of Thaksin should be doing 10 years for abuse of power.

If the UDD, or whatever other group, start running around with M79s and M16s, well surely, the government should stop and remove them ?

They've already banned demonstations, stopped Red propaganda, and people do know who the leaders of the UDD are. Why tolerate the terrorists ? After all, planet earth is fighting a war against terrorism, right ?

The walking of a judicially correct political tightrope is indeed a difficult and challenging task, we all are aware that those at the top normally escape true justice in any country.

Now are these decisions likely to split the country?

No.

In fact in my view, if a political vendetta was to be carried out it would indeed be counter productive to Thailand and it would incite a rerun of the recent civil unrest which was as we saw which truth be known was as a result of the birth of a political vendetta with the previous administration in many guises, well we all now know the result of that particular political birth.

Time alone will tell how the matter will pan out, however, to date public opinion has been positive, that in itself has to be a tacit approval of matters to date.

The political emasculation of the various parties involved in the events of the not so distant past is indeed a more humane action politically than a purge which would fill the prisons and thus no doubt lead to the conception of yet more violence and hate.

Suthep, the man of the moment, earlier on in the year.

But today, almost forgotten. Why does any system fail to reward greatly those who played such a crucial role in getting us to where we are now today ?? Surely, he was important, right ? Or was he ?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Oh stop it.

If the UDD, or whatever other group, start running around with M79s and M16s, well surely, the government should stop and remove them ?

They've already banned demonstations, stopped Red propaganda, and people do know who the leaders of the UDD are. Why tolerate the terrorists ? After all, planet earth is fighting a war against terrorism, right ?

It might be the case that the UDD running around with guns and bombs was something that was exaggerated and made into a big deal. In reality, there might have been only a small number of them with guns and bombs. And if there was only a small number of them, well, it might be not worth their time to remove an almost non-existent thing.

And the USA fighting the war on terror. There might be only a small number of Muslim terrorists, the threat and danger has been exaggerated, that way, the USA has got an excuse to bomb Muslim countries.

But today, almost forgotten. Why does any system fail to reward greatly those who played such a crucial role in getting us to where we are now today ?? Surely, he was important, right ? Or was he ?

Do you reckon then, that Suthep was just somebody that they brought out, and made into a figure-head for the demonstrations ?? As in, the real power, were whatever people behind him ?

Whether people don't like him, or like him, he's gone from leading the demonstrations that brought down a government to being a man who can't get a court case carried out.

The defamation law is the single most damaging law in Thailand today.

It is the root of dozens of long term problems in the country.

Are you sure you mean the defamation law? I would have nominated the lese majeste law, which I think is a separate statute. I thought it came under the national security laws.

People use the defamation law to hide and protect themselves from all sorts of legitimate accusation anf investigation. It basically enables corruption.corruption is everywhere.

Less majeste is a bad law but it isn't anywhere near so pervasive and it might stifle debate, but no one is accusing the King of any criminal wrongdoing.

Do you reckon then, that Suthep was just somebody that they brought out, and made into a figure-head for the demonstrations ?? As in, the real power, were whatever people behind him ?

Whether people don't like him, or like him, he's gone from leading the demonstrations that brought down a government to being a man who can't get a court case carried out.

I think Suthep is happy the case is thrown out. Will save him a lot of time. He has already achieved his goals. Sarit is gone.

Nah I think he and his crazy sidekick The Mad Monk we just a pair of violent lunatics. Mad Men of the highest order.

SanSaiExPat.

Now when one decides to publish from Wiki it is wise and in fact good manners to acknowledge the fact and indeed remove the numerical index then we actually see whether the quotes are from the poster and his or her own opinions formed in their mind(s) alone or plagiarized.

Now I abhor the fairy takes that make up religious beliefs as much as I abhor those who consider Thaksin a plaster saint, much as I abhor and laugh at fortune tellers who claim they know or knew something was going to be posted or happen.

Strange how you criticize and Thatcher for the Falklands conflict and indeed many of the worlds leaders for their in your eyes abuse of power yet you wholeheartedly support the crimes and the corrupt practices perpetrated on a civilian population by Thaksin. As an aside I or should I say we saw no references to MaoTse Tung, Joe Stalin,Il Kim Jung-un etc.

​No. Like many others I cannot nor will not forget or forgive the crimes of Thaksin who bought his way to power and later established a puppet administration in his vain attempts to establish a new ruling dynasty where political power alone was not the only aim.

Indeed your argument is much like Emental Cheese, full of holes.

Edited by siampolee

Not everyone is walking. A UDD leader just got an appeal rejected and is due to spend a year in jail.

SanSaiExPat.

Now when one decides to publish from Wiki it is wise and in fact good manners to acknowledge the fact and indeed remove the numerical index then we actually see whether the quotes are from the poster and his or her own opinions formed in their mind(s) alone or plagiarized.

Now I abhor the fairy takes that make up religious beliefs as much as I abhor those who consider Thaksin a plaster saint, much as I abhor and laugh at fortune tellers who claim they know or knew something was going to be posted or happen.

Strange how you criticize and Thatcher for the Falklands conflict and indeed many of the worlds leaders for their in your eyes abuse of power yet you wholeheartedly support the crimes and the corrupt practices perpetrated on a civilian population by Thaksin. As an aside I or should I say we saw no references to MaoTse Tung, Joe Stalin,Il Kim Jung-un etc.

​No. Like many others I cannot nor will not forget or forgive the crimes of Thaksin who bought his way to power and later established a puppet administration in his vain attempts to establish a new ruling dynasty where political power alone was not the only aim.

Siampolee, Fist of all I left the numerical index in so you could see the line " (According to the Narcotics Control Board, the policy was effective in reducing drug consumption, especially in schools.[38]) ) " which I put in parenthesis, was from Wiki, not to take credit for something I didn't write. Yes I omitted quotes which is the convention and would have made it clearer but your accusation of plagiarism is unfounded and unwarranted. Secondly, I never said Thaksin was a saint. He was simply a democratically elected (and I stress democratically elected by the widest margins ever seen in every Provence but Patini I believe) leader of Thailand. Which is more that we can say for Democrats and a Military leader that followed him. Did he make mistakes? Yes. But he did many other good things like bring up the middle class and working people economically. He came up with the OTOP concept which continues to thrive today. His economic legacy continues in Thailand despite the forces in the country that destroyed him. The Universal Health Care policies he initialed continue to help thousands today especially those with HIV and AIDS. I am not in general at Thaksin apologist I simply take issue with posters on TV who vilify him day in and day out and especially your OP which called for his brutal and barbaric torture. Third. You and several others who responded to my post totally missed the point of my bringing up President's Kennedy, Johnson, Obama and PM Thatcher. (Personally, I am a great admirer of PM Thatcher's policies and think she is one of the greatest PM's to ever hold the position in England.) I did not criticize PM Thatcher. I brought up PM Thatcher and the other world leaders not to accuse them of atrocities (Although, many do.) but to point out that if you're going to hold Thaksin to such a high standard of responsibility for his "War on Drugs" policy in which, unfortunately, many did die, then you also have to hold these other world leaders to the same standard. Again, my point was why is Thaksin held to such a high standard and held responsible for these unfortunate deaths when these other world leaders are not? For my edification could you list just 5 of Thaksin's so called "crimes" and since we've already covered it here once you can leave out his "War on Drugs" So many of the Thaksin haters on TV throw out all encompassing statements that they want the reader to take for granted. For example the, "...crimes of Thaksin who bought his way to power....bla bla bla and established a...puppet administration, bla, bla bla..." Those are pretty general, sort of vague but certainly damning accusations and they go on endlessly here at TV. But to return to your OP I don't know if they rise to the level of abuse which would warrant the barbaric punishment you desire for him anymore that those other world leaders actions would. I hesitate to ask but, can you find any redeeming qualities in Thaksin? I know. I"m sorry. I was foolish to ask but hope, they say, springs eternal. I'll close my response and resist making any retorts about Cheese of for that matter attacking you or calling you an Idiot as I have been characterized by others on TV who disagree with my view point. Have a good night.

SanSaiExPat.

Siampolee, Fist of all I left the numerical index in so you could see the line " (According to the Narcotics Control Board, the policy was effective in reducing drug consumption, especially in schools.[38]) ) " which I put in parenthesis, was from Wiki, not to take credit for something I didn't write. Yes I omitted quotes which is the convention and would have made it clearer but your accusation of plagiarism is unfounded and unwarranted. Secondly, I never said Thaksin was a saint. He was simply a democratically elected (and I stress democratically elected by the widest margins ever seen in every Provence but Patini I believe) leader of Thailand. Which is more that we can say for Democrats and a Military leader that followed him. Did he make mistakes? Yes. But he did many other good things like bring up the middle class and working people economically. He came up with the OTOP concept which continues to thrive today. His economic legacy continues in Thailand despite the forces in the country that destroyed him. The Universal Health Care policies he initialed continue to help thousands today especially those with HIV and AIDS. I am not in general at Thaksin apologist I simply take issue with posters on TV who vilify him day in and day out and especially your OP which called for his brutal and barbaric torture. Third. You and several others who responded to my post totally missed the point of my bringing up President's Kennedy, Johnson, Obama and PM Thatcher. (Personally, I am a great admirer of PM Thatcher's policies and think she is one of the greatest PM's to ever hold the position in England.) I did not criticize PM Thatcher. I brought up PM Thatcher and the other world leaders not to accuse them of atrocities (Although, many do.) but to point out that if you're going to hold Thaksin to such a high standard of responsibility for his "War on Drugs" policy in which, unfortunately, many did die, then you also have to hold these other world leaders to the same standard. Again, my point was why is Thaksin held to such a high standard and held responsible for these unfortunate deaths when these other world leaders are not? For my edification could you list just 5 of Thaksin's so called "crimes" and since we've already covered it here once you can leave out his "War on Drugs" So many of the Thaksin haters on TV throw out all encompassing statements that they want the reader to take for granted. For example the, "...crimes of Thaksin who bought his way to power....bla bla bla and established a...puppet administration, bla, bla bla..." Those are pretty general, sort of vague but certainly damning accusations and they go on endlessly here at TV. But to return to your OP I don't know if they rise to the level of abuse which would warrant the barbaric punishment you desire for him anymore that those other world leaders actions would. I hesitate to ask but, can you find any redeeming qualities in Thaksin? I know. I"m sorry. I was foolish to ask but hope, they say, springs eternal. I'll close my response and resist making any retorts about Cheese of for that matter attacking you or calling you an Idiot as I have been characterized by others on TV who disagree with my view point. Have a good night.

Did he make mistakes? Yes.

Funny, how Dr. Thaksin's 'mistakes' always made billions of dollars for him and his cronies. Funny, how his wealth tripled while in office. His 'mistakes' were getting caught in his corrupt ways. Any help he gave to the poor was 'one for the poor and five for Thaksin, one for the poor and five for Thaksin'.

• 1 year later...

Would you rather Tarit was in jail, as he should be, or Yingluck banned for 5 years? I would, but it isn't going to happen, the powers that be have made a decision. Was I saying it six months ago, no, but perhaps it is for the best. Amnesty for Thaksin, as far as I'm concerned he should be drawn and quartered for what he has done to this country. Anything else?

Thaksin has done many things to this country, I'll leave you to quote your own favourites, Here's part of my list for a bit of balance;

1. Shown that the old Royalist elite can be challenged.
  2. Taught the rural Thai populace that their votes do matter. (while there is a democracy anyway)
  3. Introduced (flawed) universal healthcare and extended it to cover foreign workers
  4. Stimulated a pride in community in some of the most depressed parts of Thailand.
  5. Introduced a realistic National Minimum wage and accessible low interest loans which has lifted many workers and farmers out of abject poverty (to just moderate poverty?).
  6. Helped Thailand recover from the 1997 financial crisis and repaid early its debt to the IMF
  7. Balanced the National budget and reduced public sector debt
  8. Introduced scholarships for children from impoverished backgrounds to study overseas
  9. Reduced state control of the media by privatising TV companies
  10. Decentralised education by removing schools from the MoE to tambon organisations
  11. Increased access to universities for lower income students through a student loan system
  12. Introduced far reaching renewable energy and energy conservation policies
  13. Reformed the ministerial structure of Government for the first time since the 1890s to focus onperformance and results.

Much of the best of these reforms and achievements were promptly reversed by the 2006 junta but the top 5 in the list are still there.

Some posters here wear blinkers and only ever mention his failings and failures, but Thaksin is THE most influential ELECTED leader Thailand ever had and with his well selected and competent cabinet achieved more positives for Thailand in two terms of office than the current bunch would be capable of

in 2 decades - and unfortunately we may be about to witness that over the next 18 years or so.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, Suthep should have gone to jail. However he sneaked away to a temple which seems to be the habit of many "high so" Thai criminals now a days.

In my opinion, Suthep should have gone to jail. However he sneaked away to a temple which seems to be the habit of many "high so" Thai criminals now a days.

Agree. The case against Suthep is clear cut. He advocated and took steps for the overthrow of the government through illegal means. He also led efforts to undermine a critical national election.

I am not the least surprised he has gone free. It was clear his movement was a means to an end, and that end was achieved. Of his rewards for a job well done, there may be more to come.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Not really. Planet earth is being indoctrinated by malicious propaganda generated by and on behalf of a those who would still aspire to supremist domination by means of mostly covert orchestrations involving gross human rights violations, financial manipulations, obstruction to genuine social democracy, encouraging desciples of that propaganda in inciting civil unrest and miltarily assisting in destabilizing stable locations under the pretext of "liberation" and by "virtue" of the above continuing to encroach on locations to establish military bases. wink.png

Anything else? Perhaps the electorate might have something else in mind but that's where it'll stay under the present system.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaksin has done many things to this country, I'll leave you to quote your own favourites, Here's part of my list for a bit of balance;

1. Shown that the old Royalist elite can be challenged.
  2. Taught the rural Thai populace that their votes do matter. (while there is a democracy anyway)
  3. Introduced (flawed) universal healthcare and extended it to cover foreign workers
  4. Stimulated a pride in community in some of the most depressed parts of Thailand.
  5. Introduced a realistic National Minimum wage and accessible low interest loans which has lifted many workers and farmers out of abject poverty (to just moderate poverty?).
  6. Helped Thailand recover from the 1997 financial crisis and repaid early its debt to the IMF
  7. Balanced the National budget and reduced public sector debt
  8. Introduced scholarships for children from impoverished backgrounds to study overseas
  9. Reduced state control of the media by privatising TV companies
  10. Decentralised education by removing schools from the MoE to tambon organisations
  11. Increased access to universities for lower income students through a student loan system
  12. Introduced far reaching renewable energy and energy conservation policies
  13. Reformed the ministerial structure of Government for the first time since the 1890s to focus onperformance and results.

Much of the best of these reforms and achievements were promptly reversed by the 2006 junta but the top 5 in the list are still there.

Some posters here wear blinkers and only ever mention his failings and failures, but Thaksin is THE most influential ELECTED leader Thailand ever had and with his well selected and competent cabinet achieved more positives for Thailand in two terms of office than the current bunch would be capable of

in 2 decades - and unfortunately we may be about to witness that over the next 18 years or so.

“Taught the rural Thai populace…”

Or bought? whistling.gif