Thais view pollution as greatest threat to world

webfact

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

Because they don't understand the question......

Ok I'm "gonna say it." I believe "Thainess" has not prompted Thais to THINK. Honestly .... an ed system which dictates and punishes inquiries... a govt which punished inquiry etc.

Several times in the village I've watched grown men gather around to ponder something which seems like "child's play" in the West i.e. how to get a chair recliner into a room through a doorway. Honestly... true story. PITY so much is wasted in Thailand to ensure the rich/powerful remains that way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do they continue to throw things out of their car windows, dump crap in the klongs, pour cooking oil into the drains.....etc

UPBRINGING or lack of it.

Most people do not give a toss. public dumps on every road, look at the land around most houses cluttered with rubbish, tins cans bottles.

Look at most houses -never maintained-painted- Their motor bikes maintained ?? it is general laziness, care for yourself, and others.

If your canals in the capitol are rat infested and the water polluted to high heaven. How do you expect rural areas to be clean.

Interesting to me is that Thai children are provided bins at school to recycle glass, aluminium, plastic, and paper.

The children are very good about using these bins at school.

After school, they follow the example set by their parents and just drop all of their garbage on the ground.

Go figure!

• Like 1

UPBRINGING or lack of it.

Most people do not give a toss. public dumps on every road, look at the land around most houses cluttered with rubbish, tins cans bottles.

Look at most houses -never maintained-painted- Their motor bikes maintained ?? it is general laziness, care for yourself, and others.

If your canals in the capitol are rat infested and the water polluted to high heaven. How do you expect rural areas to be clean.

Interesting to me is that Thai children are provided bins at school to recycle glass, aluminium, plastic, and paper.

The children are very good about using these bins at school.

After school, they follow the example set by their parents and just drop all of their garbage on the ground.

Go figure!

Any discipline at school is undone at home.

Any care about the environment at school is undone at home.

Culprit- upbringing proof do not question mother/father on where to put rubbish at home.

Biggest problem that I see here is that people do not challenge others inappropriate actions. If I see anybody drop any pollutant (plastic, metal etc) in public areas I immediately challenge them asking that they dispose of their rubbish properly. If they refuse, which they often do saying things like it's my country not yours, I ask again in a louder voice making sure others nearby can hear and then see what is going on. The lose of face to the litterer is then more than enough for them to comply.

If more people were challenged about littering I think the message that they can't get away with it without being challenged would sink in.

• Like 1