Thai wife wants to open a shop

Foreigner buys stock, Thai sells stock.

Total loss for foreigner, total profit for Thai.

This seems to be the business plan for most Thais backed by a foreigner.

Even if it's your wife?

The wife's family, friends and staff can help themselves to stock/cash. Occasional leakage can become systematic.

Don't think that'll be a problem unless her family and friends want to travel over 500 miles.

Regular stock checks and book keeping with security cameras should do the trick.

OK, that helps.

Tax payment is required , amount depends on whether the text is Thai only,foreign only or Mixed.

More info http://www.thaivisa.com/sign-tax.html

or http://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Signboard-Tax-in-Thailand

Suggest you do not apply to pay, just wait until someone comes round asking if the tax has been paid. if not in a major location they may never ask.

Note... never pay to the person who comes round asking, get their business card and pay at the relevant council office.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey OP, AFAIK, If your Wife is a sole trader, and she gets into financial trouble, because her operational risk is unlimited ; your home together is automatically on the line.

Suggest you think about the advantages of a limited company.

Edited by RandomSand

Hey OP, AFAIK, If your Wife is a sole trader, and she gets into financial trouble, because her operational risk is unlimited ; your home together is automatically on the line.

We don't have a home anymore.

She/we won't get into financial trouble, period.

Period? You spent to long in Texaslaugh.png . What's happened to the gaff you built?

Period? You spent to long in Texaslaugh.png . What's happened to the gaff you built?

Dude stop breaking my balls.

Home sold kidder. I'm in the dales for a bit.

• 2 months later...

I have heard it so many times from my ex girlfriend. I want shop but they have no idea how to make it profitable it seems like it is all for show.

I wish you luck but don't throw to much money at it because most new businesses fail.

Anybody that has spent some time in Thailand should have some understanding of the social statuses and perceptions there. Once a Thai person has a shop, their status instantly increases several levels. As to whether it is a good shop or a money making shop or more important does it make enough money to support the Thai person is another matter. One fellow I was talking with was exasperated when he asked his wife how much she had to charge for the eggs in order to make money. She didn't understand the question because in her mind it was not relevent. The price she could sell the eggs for was pretty much fixed by what the other ten shops on the street were selling them for.