Thailand's sliding reputation is costing much more than just tourism dollars

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I crazy or has there been an increasing number of articles written by thai aopplying Western logic and common sense ?

Would appear more and more media people locally starting to think and talk sense.

I only wonder when those in the position to make changes will start to think the same way

• Like 2

Thailand's reputation has never been a highlight at the Sunday BBQ, nothing surprises comes to mind with Thailand, there quiet frankly is nothing Thailand can do about its reputation except battle on , the moral issues are so built into the fabric of Thai society that to eradicate will take eons of a proper education system , after all isn't that just one of many reasons why every one goes to School, to learn hopefully to be a model citizen, in this area Thailand fails miserably. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Mr. Hasan Basar makes some useful points. He seems sane. He leaves out so many other considerations that have contributed to the breakdown of Thailand's "reputation." But he's on the right track by pointing out the lack of leadership in Thailand and that this is the key. There are no "leaders," no decision makers, no visionary, inspired, passionate people. No Thais have compassion and empathy for the welfare of "all" the Thai people. Leadership requires a visionary who can articulate the Thai nation to the world and why the world should welcome Thailand. Thaksin for all his faults was in fact a leader. There must surely be another leader somewhere in Thailand.

Thaksin may have been a leader, but purely for his own gains. He led his classmates, as he placed them all into strategic positions of untouchable dominance... aside of that, and for self-gain, I don't much more leadership in other areas of the role Thaksin played.

So what you are saying is that TS was in it for his own gain and the present bunch launched the coup for pure and honest reasons. Maybe you werent here last time around, but under all the previous juntas transparency went down the drain and corruption soared and this time will be no different, just look at the oil/gas concessions. It was sneaked past the public in a low profile manner. But rest assured every dog gets its day.

• Like 1

All Mr. Basar is writing about, are the feelings that deep down, most people are thinking the same way about Thailand at the moment.

Interesting quote of his about the state being unable / unwilling to enforce the basic rule of law and order.

Without law and order, a country ( however they are ) cannot hope to achieve much in the way of respect around the globe.

Edited by Cake Monster

Mr. Hasan Basar makes some useful points. He seems sane. He leaves out so many other considerations that have contributed to the breakdown of Thailand's "reputation." But he's on the right track by pointing out the lack of leadership in Thailand and that this is the key. There are no "leaders," no decision makers, no visionary, inspired, passionate people. No Thais have compassion and empathy for the welfare of "all" the Thai people. Leadership requires a visionary who can articulate the Thai nation to the world and why the world should welcome Thailand. Thaksin for all his faults was in fact a leader. There must surely be another leader somewhere in Thailand.

Thaksin may have been a leader, but purely for his own gains. He led his classmates, as he placed them all into strategic positions of untouchable dominance... aside of that, and for self-gain, I don't much more leadership in other areas of the role Thaksin played.

So what you are saying is that TS was in it for his own gain and the present bunch launched the coup for pure and honest reasons. Maybe you werent here last time around, but under all the previous juntas transparency went down the drain and corruption soared and this time will be no different, just look at the oil/gas concessions. It was sneaked past the public in a low profile manner. But rest assured every dog gets its day.

I didn't mention the present 'bunch' did I?

Here's some news for you farang pseudo reds and pseudo yellows.

Both political parties are corrupt, inept and chock full of people out to enrich themselves, their families and cronies.

As foreigners with no vote, to champion one over the other makes you look foolish.

Please look foolish on another thread and don't pollute this one.

So no opinions allowed then?

Go for it, but, on the zillion threads that already exist for the verbal punch-ups between farang reds and yellows.

This thread is not about Thaksin and whether he is good or, bad.

I have an opinion on the main reasons why the Roman empire fell, but, I'm not going to post it here as this thread is not the right place.

See where I'm coming from?

Thanks for your permission to post, much appreciated.

• Like 1

It would not be a huge surprise to see the Shins back in power, or at least backing those that get in to power in the not too distant future.

Off you go!

On your bike mate---never another chance---They blew it big time. hurting is it ???

A big reorganization of the police and a real crackdown on police corruption and incompetence. But this will never happen and who has to check the police ?

The police is one of the tools of the government and it is just not functioning good enough.

Plus the fact that sometimes they rather hide facts then accept responsibility (government) isnt helping much either.

Its a bit more extreme here of course but back in the countries of our birth things get hidden too.. Here it is just far more and the cover up not so believable.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1