Will be coming to Thailand for few months, please advise a city to live

3xpat

What are nice and cheap areas in Thailand? Sorry may be a dumb question - I need to stay few month (or more) to do a freelance project - have to keep costs low currently.

What I would like:

* small house or condo apartment bedroom and kitchen with nice view
* rent a motorbike monthly or buy second hand
* live in expat area, but not too spoiled. I like BKK for its modern main streets, but need clean air. I'e been to some places - Chiang Rai, a bit boring.... Hat Yai - center is noisy... Not sure may be outside of the city (just to give examples). Besides seems there are no many expats in Hat Yai. Looks like Chiang Mai is cool?

* is it possible to get good rental price for 3 moths?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was under the (mistaken) impression these Digital Pikeys were earning thousands of $$$$ per day.

Rayong for you.

I am quitting my job and starting to work on a new project, need to take it easy for a while

thanks for the advise about Rayong

I was under the (mistaken) impression these Digital Pikeys were earning thousands of $$$$ per day.

Rayong for you.

I am quitting my job and starting to work on a new project, need to take it easy for a while

thanks for the advise about Rayong

Okey dokey, have you considered Bang Saen, Rayong as mentioned, even Chanthaburi if you need to keep costs down.

Avoid the farang enclaves is my best advice.

Rayong, rent a one storey shophouse for 1,500 baht per month, it will be basic mind you.

Bang saen similair prices, rent a shophouse for 3,000 per month.

Cha Am another cheap area, but close enough to farang needs.

It's quite easy to find cheap accommodation but you do need to do some ground work and start knocking on a few doors! I live in Naklua ( outside of central Pattaya ) and i rent a small room ( furnished ) with bathroom and cold water ( all you need ) and it comes with a fast internet ( faster than the " Flashing Blade " viewers.....) and 100 Sat Tv channels ( ideal if you are like me and don't watch much TV...) The views are not exactly " The backdrop of Tuscany " ( but plenty of " birds on bikes " that wizz about in " hot pants " causing your eyes to wander.....) located just a 15 minute gentle stroll from the beach and very few farang about ( " delightful " ) and costs a nice realistic price of " 2000 baht a month " ( short term / long term ) Tesco lotus is just a 10 minute stroll away.The Train station is a 30 minute stroll ( for cool trips out )

If you are living on a tight budget then these type of " Thai Style " rooms are available all over Thailand.

Farang Jaidee - " in touch with reality " wai2.gif

Everything on your list is in Pattaya plus only 1.5 hours to Bangkok. If you also like adult "entertainment" then Pattaya is the ONLY place !

To be honest I never pay for sex or gfe and would rather take a girl to a restaurant. Also I prefer girls that are intelligent, have office job or business, so they are genuinely interested in a farang as a source of wit and pleasure, not money or family smile.png

The expert, i bow to your wisdom hahahahahaha

Looks like Cha Am may be your place. Close enough to Hua Hin and Bankok if ou like to get busy, but cheap and calm for relax when need it. Good weather too. Breeezy and no so hot close to the beach. Many motorbike rentals places to find a good deal. First stop for advice....at the Cha Am Seaside Hotel with Peter and the Kattariya Condotel by the beach and Da Vinci Restaurant.

Edited by umbanda

Chiang mai is beautiful city and wonderful place for expat life.

However, you will not find easy cheap 3 months contract.

What is your budget ?

3000-5000. need a quiet place, do mediation once in a while, and a small kitchen

I traveled around North some time ago and there were so many houses outside of the city... I wonder how much are they? If it's 20 min from the city on a bike should be OK

Chiang Mai is hell. And boring. And you can't breathe the air for three months. And there is Songkran. And flooding. And Thaksin is from here. And Northern girls have no shape whatsoever. And traffic is hell. Nightlife is non-existing. Public transportation: Nope. And it's expensive. All that, and there isn't even a beach.

So, you're not overly fussed on Cm then ?

Chiang Mai is hell. And boring. And you can't breathe the air for three months. And there is Songkran. And flooding. And Thaksin is from here. And Northern girls have no shape whatsoever. And traffic is hell. Nightlife is non-existing. Public transportation: Nope. And it's expensive. All that, and there isn't even a beach.

No beach.. are you sure, I thought everywhere in Thailand had a beach? ;-)

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Sometimes I love ThaiVisa!

• Like 2

So you left.

Everything on your list is in Pattaya plus only 1.5 hours to Bangkok. If you also like adult "entertainment" then Pattaya is the ONLY place !

To be honest I never pay for sex or gfe and would rather take a girl to a restaurant. Also I prefer girls that are intelligent, have office job or business, so they are genuinely interested in a farang as a source of wit and pleasure, not money or family smile.png

Source of wit and pleasure, those are my middle names!! thumbsup.gif

In that case Pattaya is out, I agree. From that perspective you'd want a place that doesn't have an overly large sex tourism scene relative to the overall size of the town (which hurts your chances of being seen as respectable) but you do want a large influx of Thai women from other places, so they're not too controlled by family / social structure. So that means Bangkok, and increasingly Chiang Mai. Also other major centers: Udon, Khorat, Had Yai, but those have less of an expat scene which you say you want.

Not sure you need to commit yourself to a single place for the duration. It's quite possible to find a place to stay for a couple weeks/months, then move on if/when you feel like it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I think CM will have some of the best value for money rentals and some really inexpensive places too… you do have a bit of contradiction built in - wanting nice view and cheap price too.. if you compromise some of your demands, there are some decent studios available for 4000 baht or so a month with furniture and internet - - not the best of anything but certainly decent and livable - in CM you will not need a motorcycle to get around.

As things don't always make sense here, CM housing is cheaper than my small northern city. I guess stronger on the supply side. Also, the further out of town you get, the fewer expats. All that said, I do know of friends outside CM w/great bargains but they are on yearly leases and took some chance to find them. You can message me if you want some specific names…

good luck.

Mods why why did you put this is Chiang Mai Forum??

Clearly explained in post #2

And I agree as the OP specifically targeted CM.

wow simply wow.

I didn't understand from post# 2 that you are moving, you should express yourself more clearly and anyway it just doesn't make sense what you did. It is plain wrong - my question was about comparing different areas, not discussing CM