Phuket Immigration upgrades services, cuts waiting times

Lite Beer

There must be two Immigration Offices in Phuket. I have been going to one for twelve years. Usually takes me about 15 minutes for my 90 day report and maybe 20-30 minutes when renewing my Retirement Visa. I try to have every document I need but sometimes I have to go downstairs for a copy or a photo. I have only had one problem about seven years ago and I complained loud and long. Called out the supervisor too. Next time I went there the particular IO was gone. One time I went there to renew my visa and the IO told me that my old visa had expired on the same day I quit my job about two months previously and the fine was 20,000 baht. He told me quietly to do a visa run and come back in a few days. Left next day for Penang and returned with a new visa. Sometimes the IOs are friendly and sometimes officious but no one has ever asked me for a bribe and I have never given one that I was aware of. I suppose I have paid a 'fee' that I didn't know was going into a pocket. But basically I have always been treated well and efficiently at the Phuket Immigration Office. Of course I always wear a clean collared shirt, real shoes, a haircut and a smile.

That's funny because that <removed> in the glasses behind him has taken more money from me than any of them. He's famous for the 300-500 baht certificate of residency with no receipt of course......

Do you perfer going to your Embassy for this service and paying 50 dollars for the certificate. Do not be stupid we had complainers such as your self here in Chinag Mai complaining about the 500 baht fee should have heard them when it cost 50 dollars then there were the few who had to go to Bangkok for this service.

Sorry, its the guy on the right I guess...closest to the camera. He has lots of gold and huge earlobes. I always hated going to him, but somehow I ended up with him many times. Each time.....look around, look up, look down, look around...."500 baht". Can I have a receipt? "No receipt. No 500 baht, no certificate." I thought they were free. "No they 500 baht". Last time it was 300 baht. "Ok, this time I do 300 for you".

Come to Chiang Mai you can pay the 500 baht for next day service or pay nothing and wait for 10 days up to you or go to the Consulate and pay 50 for the same service. If they ask you to pay 20,000 for something that you qualify for I call that cooruption but to pay for a service they offer is no big deal.

Edited by moe666

That's funny because that <removed> in the glasses behind him has taken more money from me than any of them. He's famous for the 300-500 baht certificate of residency with no receipt of course......

Yeah man he is a big player the problem is the volunteers <removed> help for him sad.png

The Sergeant Major who usually sits in-between the two officers wearing the blue shirts is conspicuous by his absence.

What is the price for a proof of residency letter?

No official charge = free.

In Bangkok it takes 10 working days to turn round. They take 100 Baht for the return EMS postage for delivery to your home. Why is no one reporting this bribe.I thought the general was trying to stamp out corruption?

Oh dear no. This is not `corruption` per se. You see the provincial immigration offices are semi- autonomous profit making centers and these are merely discretionary `fees`. The income from these is vital to provide service excellence to foreigners and maintain the immigration motor pool at optimum level in order to provide ever better services. Then there are the costs of new uniforms and the costs of the regime`s on-going reforms vital to national security and the safety of foreigners, Please have an understanding, happy attitude as you donate for better service.

If they were serious about cutting down on the inconvenience then a simple one year stamp without the need to mess around with a stamp every 90 days would be a better solution. The only thing the 90 day stamp achieves is wasting a foreigners time and it's a draconian practice that shouldn't be needed. Either that or set up an online registration system... it ain't rocket science.

I know for a fact that Thais living in the UK are not required to undergo such bs so why should foreigner here have to do it.

I'm happy to say that this crap no longer affects me as I left and I'm much happier for it.

• Like 1

If they were serious about cutting down on the inconvenience then a simple one year stamp without the need to mess around with a stamp every 90 days would be a better solution. The only thing the 90 day stamp achieves is wasting a foreigners time and it's a draconian practice that shouldn't be needed.

That insufferable 90 reporting, brought back from the dead by Taksin, was enabled at the marine office at Chalong pier to save those of us who live in the South of the island the trip into Town. That lasted about 6 months. So no, nothing is done for our 'convenience'. Quite the contrary. The more difficult they make it for us, the more likely we are persuaded to use agents, who split their fee with them. FACT.

If they were serious about cutting down on the inconvenience then a simple one year stamp without the need to mess around with a stamp every 90 days would be a better solution. The only thing the 90 day stamp achieves is wasting a foreigners time and it's a draconian practice that shouldn't be needed. Either that or set up an online registration system... it ain't rocket science.

I know for a fact that Thais living in the UK are not required to undergo such bs so why should foreigner here have to do it.

I'm happy to say that this crap no longer affects me as I left and I'm much happier for it.

Don`t blame you. This is not supposed to `benefit` the foreigner, just keep the screws on him and provide extra `income`. SEE #36 above

Went to Bangkok Immigration on Wednesday to get letter of residency to renew bike and car licence. Needed two letters. One for bike,one for car. Copy of last entry stamp. Copy of picture page. Copy of visa extension.Copy of departure card. 200 Baht for each letter. Will be posted to my home,takes 15 days. Truly a developing country.

Edited by bikerbri

Agreed. The stories I could tell about him... annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Last time I went to renew my 90 day it took less than 5 minutes.

Did you have to show proof of residence which I'm hearing about lately.

No. Just take your passport and fill in the form "TM47".

Only passport and copy's. TM47 form is not in use any more for over a year.

Last time I went to renew my 90 day it took less than 5 minutes.

Did you have to show proof of residence which I'm hearing about lately.

No. Just take your passport and fill in the form "TM47".

Only passport and copy's. TM47 form is not in use any more for over a year.

Sorry - you're right! I forgot that last time the guy just typed stuff into the computer and printed out the slip.

My apologies. wai2.gif